Looking to start first detailed project

Hello all. I am new to the forum as of yesterday and have been looking around. My modeling experience doesnt consist of much quality wise, but most of that is from appx 10 years ago anyways, so its not much to go off of. After looking at so many of your examples, I decided I want to get started on a detailed example of the bird I work on and fly on, the CH-47F.

I was hoping someone could give me a good example of a model that is larger than the 1/48 scale, possibly 1/35 or larger. 1/48 is ok, but i feel it wont give me the ability to add much detail on the inside, or even really on the outside. being that I am around these things all the time, I am excited to put some real work into it and hopefully finish it before my next deployment.

So with the details included, I was hoping as well that someone could give me a good resource for finding detailing parts, techniques for detailing, etc. you all have such exquisite details on your projects and I dont want this to look bland, but i dont expect a masterpiece on the first go round.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks so much

I am by no means a helo expert, I'll let you know what I know. Cobra Co. makes several resin detail sets for the CH-47 in 1/35 scale which is the largest scale you're going to find for this bird to my knowledge. I cannot comment on the quality of detail of the sets, because I don't have any of them. However, I do have several MH-53 detail sets from them and they are outstanding. There is a link to the website in the links section of this website. The owner is also on these forums, Chief Snake I believe. Eduard may also make some photo etch sets for it, but that I am not sure of.

HTH

Rick

Trumpeter makes a 1/35 CH-47D model.

TU05105.jpg

There is no 1/35 (or any other scale that I know of) CH-47F. You would have to convert it to an F model. Cobra Company's detail sets are great and I highly recommend them. Good luck on it.

Edited by HeavyArty

Trumpeter makes a 1/35 CH-47D model. There is no 1/35 (or any other scale that I know of) CH-47F. You would have to convert it to an F model. Cobra Company's detail sets are great and I highly recommend them. Good luck on it.

i dont think that would be too tough. only differences would be putting the avionics boxes in the avionics closet, the glass panel from an MH-47 detail set, and getting the right paint color

thanks for the suggestions guys!

Might wanna start off with a smaller project to hone in your skills. Also, you can practice the techniques and skills without putting a masterpiece at risk...

Good luck!

good point, but i guess thats why i wanted to start off larger, although more detailed, its all larger, so in a sense, easier. with all the details I know off hand, i think this may be the perfect project to start off with. probably wont end up as detailed as I would like, but agian, the larger the overlal thing is, the easier it may be in the end.

You will find the chinooks interior a bit bare to say the least, and will need to build up the rear ramp area detail a lot, however there is an excellent etch set for it be Eduard, that includes the seats etc, you will still need to sort out the rear, and also put the door in the ramp...... they have the door labeled as being attached separate from the ramp!! add to that some of the cobra bits mentioned and you will be well on the way :)

I have the D on the go ( ex RAF CH47 eng)

an example of it with some of the seats added, though up

http://www.scale-rotors.com/gallery/cargo-helicopters/chinook-hc1-trumpeter-0

I forgot about the rear ramp issue. I worked on one a while back to make it retractable. It wasn't that hard and Trumpeter already started it for you. Here is how to do it.

I started testing to see what it would take to get the upper ramp to retract into the lower one. It was actually pretty simple. Trump provided part of the parts. In step 23, you attach parts B23 to the upper portion. In step 32, you attach parts D23 and D24 on the lower ramp. These parts make up part of the track that the upper ramp retracts on. By modifying them and adding some track inside, you can retract it just like the real thing. I first positioned parts B23 so that they stuck over the lower edge of the upper hatch by about 1/4". On the lower ramp is most of the work. On parts D23 and D24 for the inner rails, trim them about half of the way back to the curved cross member, angling the ends at a 45 degree angle with the longer parts going toward the ramp deck (G3). For the outer D23 and D24 pieces, they also get trimmed to a 45 degree angle with the longer part terminating almost at the edge of G3. Next, I trimmed down the curved cross member to the height of parts D23 and D24 so it would not interfere and removed the tabs sticking up between the track made up by the D23 and D24 parts. Lastly, I extended the tracks back with "T" shaped Plastruct beams and elevated them with 3 pieces of .040 sheet styrene as shims to raise them slightly above level. You can see the results below. A perfectly rectracting upper rear hatch.

CH-47A001.jpg

CH-47A002.jpg

CH-47A003.jpg

good point, but i guess thats why i wanted to start off larger, although more detailed, its all larger, so in a sense, easier. with all the details I know off hand, i think this may be the perfect project to start off with. probably wont end up as detailed as I would like, but agian, the larger the overlal thing is, the easier it may be in the end.

I meant smaller as in less important ;) same reason though.