I loves the internet. It teaches you how to translate "Shark Mouth" into Japanese :lol:

Ok, got started on my JASDF (Japanese Air Self Defence Force) F-4EJ Phantom. I'll be using the old 1/72 Fujimi kit:

1-Box.jpg

Got started on the interior. For noseweight, I'm using plasticine (play clay):

2-Interior.jpg

The actual shark mouth will be a surprise since the Japanese use many variants B)

Truth be told, I haven't decided which sharkmouth to use yet :D

Got started on the interior. For noseweight, I'm using plasticine (play clay):

2-Interior.jpg

Interesting, that stuff weigh much? Enough I guess in this situation huh?

Edited by blunce

Interesting, that stuff way much? Enough I guess in this situation huh?

For a 1/72 scale Phantom, it seems sufficient. You could also stuff a couple of metal ball-bearings, screws or nut/bolts inside the plasticine. I sometimes use those leftover screws that you get when you upgrade or dispose of your PCs. But care has to be taken; too much weight & it stresses the plastic landing gears which may then start to bend. But if that happens, you could use this technique to repair the landing gear:

Fix broken landing gear

:cheers:

I'll let you guys in on a secret. I have NO weights in the nose of my Esci F-4J and it's fine. I believe as the center of gravity is well ahead of the rear wheels that no weight is needed.

I suppose that depends on your configuration. If you add resin exhausts at the back, it's going to be rear heavy. But a resin cockpit in the front will soon balance that :)

It also depends on your kit. Hasegawa Phantoms seem to have a heavier grade of plastic than Fujimi, & because of it's modular design, the rear part of the fuselage appears heavier to me & so justifies the noseweight. I guess, to me, it's better to be safe than sorry by adding nosewt. It's frustrating to finish a kit only to find out later that it has become a tail-sitter. Of course, if anyone asks, you could always say that it's just about to take off :)

How do you find the Fujimi kit? I have two of their F4(Sundowners & Jolly Rogers) kits but haven't opened them yet.

The Fujimi kit ranks just below the Hasegawa kit (which is currently the best in 1/72) and is probably tied with the Monogram Phantoms as the 2nd best. Revell's F-4F would have taken the top spot if not for the fact that they screwed up the front nose/fuselage (too thin) and undersized canopies. However, when it comes to British Phantoms, Fujimi's Spey-engined Phantoms are the best bar none.

As for non-Brit Fujimi Phantoms, Fujimi's are simpler than the Hasegawa's over-engineered kits. Fujimi's cockpit though is very sparse & some have commented that you could stuff Monogram's/Revell's cockpit inside without any problems (haven't tried it myself). They do build easily & have very little fit problems. Simple, easy to build & dimensionally accurate are some words that sum up Fujimi kits.

Be warned though, if you're getting JASDF Phantoms, Fujimi has recently taken to the frustrating habit of boxing the standard F-4EJ kits and marketing them as F-4EJ KAI kits. KAIs have different wingtips & fintips. As one of our fellow modelers found out:

http://s362974870.onlinehome.us/forums/air/index.php?showtopic=232032&st=0&p=2212465&hl=f-4ej&fromsearch=1entry2212465

I too have the Sundowners & Jolly Rogers kits and they are lovely. They go for less price than the Hasegawa equivalent & come with early sidewinder missiles. I read somewhere that the skull from the skull & crossbones of Jolly Roger decal sheet is wrongly shaped. But to me, it looks alright & acceptable.

Overall, I'd say the Fujimi Phantoms are enjoyable for a fast & simple build if you're not too particular about details such as the simple cockpit. I built one ages ago in order to de-stress after a particularly stressful exam period:

2nd.jpg

Do note that the decals were from a Hasegawa KAI even though the kit itself was a standard Fujimi F-4EJ. Like I said, it was to des-stress & I couldn't be bothered about accuracy :lol:

Is this your group build entry?

No, as stated in my earlier post, I built it ages ago. It was a de-stress project. I posted it to emphasize how easy it is to build a Fujimi Phantom :)

:thumbsup: JackManI am looking forward to this build...Like to see how it turns out.Good work so far.

Thanks for the encouragement, Holmes :thumbsup:

No, as stated in my earlier post, I built it ages ago. It was a de-stress project. I posted it to emphasize how easy it is to build a Fujimi Phantom :)

OIC, it was unclear as it only says that you built "one" ages ago, not that you built "this one" ages ago. Thought we had another speed builder among us! :o

• 3 months later...

I'm afraid I'm going to have to pull out of this one, folks. :(

Due to time constraints & personal commitments, my modeling time is severely limited. While I can be active in the forums, I just can't find the time to come home after work & overtime and then break out the tools, paints & kits. Family's been complaining that I'm not spending enough time with them. Plus my sister's getting married soon. I'm expected to help out so there goes my modeling time :doh:

I won't abandon the build though since I love JASDF aircraft. I'll probably continue it over at the "In-Progress" site when things calm down a bit on the home/work front. Might get a bit done here & there in the next few weeks but I definitely won't be able to make it before the deadline. Sorries...

I'm afraid I'm going to have to pull out of this one, folks. :(

Due to time constraints & personal commitments, my modeling time is severely limited. While I can be active in the forums, I just can't find the time to come home after work & overtime and then break out the tools, paints & kits. Family's been complaining that I'm not spending enough time with them. Plus my sister's getting married soon. I'm expected to help out so there goes my modeling time :doh:

I won't abandon the build though since I love JASDF aircraft. I'll probably continue it over at the "In-Progress" site when things calm down a bit on the home/work front. Might get a bit done here & there in the next few weeks but I definitely won't be able to make it before the deadline. Sorries...

Jackman,

Never mind ...you have to do what you have to do..Looking good so far though... :jaw-dropping::jaw-dropping:

WE can still see it being built as and when in the WIP ..so go and do your family thingy..

BEST WISHES...

Well that's too bad Jack. We'll look forward to your finished build. The Group Build pages will be up indefinitely (AFAIK), so go ahead and post it here whenever you get it done!

Brian