What's the BEST FITTING 1/72 jet kit you've ever built???

First off, I don't think there are kits that go together better than Tamiya's warbird line, at least the ones they produced and are not Italeri repops; P-51, P-47, F4U, Skyray, Mosquito. I did not need filler for any of these kits. Quite a few of Fujimi's line from the late 80s and early 90 are extremely well designed; F7U Cutlass, F-86 Sabre, A-4 skyhawks, A-6 intruder and the RAF/FAA Phantom (compared to most phantoms.) Several revell kits are up there, like the hunter... but they aren't as consistently well constructed as the those two manufacturers lines.

Hasegawa 1/72 F-20 and X-29. Just about the best fitting kits I've ever built. The Fujimi Cutlass is close, and the Tamiya Skyray too, but not quite as well-fitting IMO as the F-20 and X-29 due to the basic shapes of the airplane (Skyray) or modular design to accomomdate the nose for the recce version (Cutlass). The Italeri/Testors F-5E/F kits fit well, as do several of the old Esci jets (F-100, F-5B, Sea Harrier).

Another vote for the Tamiya F4D Skyray. I don't think I used even the smallest amount of filler.

I also just finished the Tamiya F-84G, which went together just as well. Like someone else said, the Tamiya molds in their Warbid line are fantastic (but beware of the repops, also like mentioned, they are not as good).

Fujimi A-4s, Hasegawa F-111s, Academy F/A-18s. cheers

Ooh, I'd almost give the F-111 a vote if it wasn't for the downright weird area around the intakes/landing gear bay. I'm building one right now and even though its all together and looks good, I still don;t feel as if I put it together correctly.

Strangely enough, Italeri F-14A!! Yes, it's an old kit. Yes, it has raised panel lines. I built it close to 2 years ago, and from memory, it didn't require any putty!

Fine Molds, pretty much any 72nd scale Star Wars kit--hands down. I build a lot of modern jets and WWII, as well, but if simply a really good fitting kit, a mortal enemy of the putty industry, check out the FM SW line.

... Tamiya Skyray too.

I was going to say that too! Super kit & such a joy to build. In general, anything that Tamiya scaled down from their 1/48 series (NOT the Italeri re-boxed ones) is a good bet. I wish they'd do the same for their 1/48 Betty.

Don't overlook the older kits if breaking the bank is a worry for you. The banquet of detail may not be there, but if ease of construction is your main concern, you might want to consider the following older kits:

Esci had some real 1/72 gems:

Their F-5 family are still the best F-5s you'll get in the scale.

Their early Harrier line: GR.1, GR.3 and Sea Harrier FRS.1 are all a joy to build.

Their F-104s have been eclipsed by newer kits, but still worthy builds

Italeri has all of those Esci kits in their current range as far as I know.

Heller's DeHavilland Vampire is a delightful old kit and goes together very well. I think Revell Germany is reissuing sometime this year.

Edited by Kevan Vogler

+1 for Tamiya's 1/72 line. I haven't built them yet, but the Skyray and the P-51 I've bought and test fitted don't look like they'll need any filler at all. Superb engineering and casting quality.