WIP: Dragon 1/6 MG42 w/ Tripod

Decided to share the project I'm working on right now.

I picked up Dragon's 1/6 MG42 kit at my model clubs quarterly raffle back in February. Opened it up a couple weeks ago, and started working on it.

First impressions are mixed. The kit isn't too bad. Some heavy mold seams in places, and punch marks in inconvenient places, but overall very nice. Biggest issue I've found so far is that the extension legs on the don't align correctly, so the tripod sits at a bit of an angle, but I think I can overcome that down the line.

However, the directions are an absolute joke, probably the worst directions I've ever seen on a model, but that's not saying a whole lot.

Anyway, on to the pic's.

DSC00598.jpg

DSC00600.jpg

DSC00602.jpg

DSC00605.jpg

The gun will be painted Tamiya XF-1 flat black, and then I'm going to experiment w/ Mig Pigments Gun Metal. Never used pigments before, so its going to be a learning experience.

The tripod will be painted Tamiya XF-60 Dark Yellow, and then will be weathered there as best as I can.

The plan when complete, is to mount it on a base, to look like its deployed. Trying to find a way to fabricate new rounds for the gun. I found a diagram for the rounds on the net, and I'm trying to find someone w/ a small CNC lathe that could turn the rounds out of aluminum, but not holding my breath at this point that I'll be able to get that done. Might just try making them out of styrene rod.

Adam

Very rare that this kind of subject crops up here and SO it is quite good to see

how you will tackle this subject.

GOOD PROJECT AND GOOD LOOKING kit .

I think you have started well and I am looking forward to seeing this come alive

KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK

HOLMESY :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Edited by HOLMES

Unfortunately, no, nothing more has been done since I posted this last week. I had hoped to get some painting done last week, but the weather never cooperated enough to let that happen. Then last Friday, I torn down the rear brakes on my pickup truck, in an effort to upgrade the components, and its turned into a very long, drawn out, frustrating project, which at this point will hopefully be done this coming Saturday morning.

Hopefully Sat. evening or Sunday I can finally get some paint onto this thing, and move on from there.

Thanks for that link Tony. I'll definitely have to look into some of those weapons sets, they might be good additions to a little vignette or something to go w/ the MG42, and I'll have to see if I can find the ammo set, I like the look of that.

Edited by Adam Baker

Just a quick update.

Finally managed to get some paint down on this. Was able to get all set up Friday evening, and did pretty good I think. However, I'm not entirely sure whether I should have painted the tripod w/ the Dark Yellow. I plan on putting it on a base, displaying it sorta like a vingette, but Im wondering if I should have used a dark green, or even the black that appears in the photo posted by Tony. The dark yellow Im assuming would have been something used by maybe the Afrika Korps, and not as likely to be used in the ETO, so I'll have to figure that out before going much farther.

Now that its assembled, I'll have to go back and put more paint down, to hide anywhere that I got glue that I shouldnt have, and to cover up any seams that are visible now.

DSC00720.jpg

Once the repainting is done, it'll be on to starting to work on weathering. I'll be doing some washes & dry brushing, and then my first attempts w/ the MIG pigments.

• 5 weeks later...

Finally have a little bit of progress to show on this build.

Last week I went back and touched up the paint again, and then last night I put down a coat of future on the gun & the tripod, and then this evening I used Pro-Modeler Black wash on the tripod. I have to say I'm pretty happy w/ how it looks so far.

DSC00771.jpg

DSC00768.jpg

The plan now is to go back w/ the base color, and probably add a little bit of white to it, and use that to dry brush everything, to help put in highlights & such. I also have to paint the pads on the forward leg, something other than what it is now. Probably take a look at what I have, and see if I have any paints that would look good for leather, and use that.

Hopefully tomorrow or Friday I might start on the gun. I had a friend give me a very good idea on how to simulate the wood grain stock, using some Burnt Sienna oil paint, so Im going to give that a shot, and hopefully it comes out good.

Edited by Adam Baker

Got more progress made last night, but I'm not sure if I like it or not.

I had to strip the MG-42 and repaint & refuture it after I screwed up applying pigments.

This time around, I started w/ dry brushing the whole gun w/ Tamiya Metallic Grey. I kinda like it, but the affect isnt nearly as subtle as I wanted it to be. But the plan now is to attempt again at applying the pigments. Then it'll get some kind of flat clear on it, and hopefully it'll kinda tone it down.

Hopefully tonight or tomorrow I can get pictures posted up of how it sits now.

Got more progress made last night, but I'm not sure if I like it or not.

I had to strip the MG-42 and repaint & refuture it after I screwed up applying pigments.

This time around, I started w/ dry brushing the whole gun w/ Tamiya Metallic Grey. I kinda like it, but the affect isnt nearly as subtle as I wanted it to be. But the plan now is to attempt again at applying the pigments. Then it'll get some kind of flat clear on it, and hopefully it'll kinda tone it down.

Hopefully tonight or tomorrow I can get pictures posted up of how it sits now.

cool looking fwd to seeing it, on my 200mm figure weapons I use a soft pencil, rub that over it then "polish" on with a finger, try it on a little test piece of painted sprue

Yea, I think thats the sort of finish I want. Right now its just way too visible, not the effect I was going for. I'll probably post up pictures of it, and get some critiques, but I'm strongly leaning toward stripping it again, and trying again. Just gotta be careful b/c I dont have a whole lot of XF-1 left, and apparently its difficult to get right now.

• 2 weeks later...

Unfortunately, no, nothing more has been done since I posted this last week. I had hoped to get some painting done last week, but the weather never cooperated enough to let that happen. Then last Friday, I torn down the rear brakes on my pickup truck, in an effort to upgrade the components, and its turned into a very long, drawn out, frustrating project, which at this point will hopefully be done this coming Saturday morning.

Hopefully Sat. evening or Sunday I can finally get some paint onto this thing, and move on from there.

Thanks for that link Tony. I'll definitely have to look into some of those weapons sets, they might be good additions to a little vignette or something to go w/ the MG42, and I'll have to see if I can find the ammo set, I like the look of that.

Adam, the ammo strips in those weapons sets really blow. Not realistic at all. I have some metal ones with brass rounds and these were intended to use with the Dragon MG 34 and MG 42 guns. If you are interested PM me, as I have more than enough to spare up a few sets.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...