Sudden urge to build military demo birds!

OK... I might be opening up another can of worms here... :can-of-worms:

I suddenly got this urge to build military demonstration birds. I think it started when I ordered the CONA set from TwoBobs, then exacerbated by my ordering of Canadian 100 years flight decals from Leading Edge (I might also be getting RAAF Hornet 20th Anniversary decals from Leading Edge as well)... It suddenly got me thinking of all these colourful demonstration birds that would look really cool on my shelves.

I started looking at different 72nd scale kits of F-16 Thunderbirds, and F/A-18 Blue Angels. For the latter, it should be pretty much a no-brainer: Academy. But I'm not so sure about the Thunderbirds. I think Academy has one, so does Fujimi (can get one from cyber-hobby.com for $25 incl P&H). Out of these 2, which one is "better"? Anyone else out there that can absolutely blow away one of these two for about the same price? I'm not entering any competitions, so am not too fussed about shape or detail accuracy, only cost/value is important. BTW, I will also most likely build these as in-flight birds, so cockpit details are also somewhat irrelevant.

I'm also thinking of building an Airfix BAe Hawk Red Arrows. Anyone knows what's it like? Fit accuracy-wise, that is.

Thanks! :thumbsup:

Dear Lord, I feel your pain Brother!!!

CoNA decals, then Snakes and Dragons, then tophatters CAG, then I build my Chippy Ho, then I start collectiong you tube vids of CAG birds.

I just bought some Tophatter decals bout 5 mins ago!!!!

Holy crap, I have lost it!!!

-Jim

Hint: Stay away from the Syhart Decals website, or it'll get much worse.

Shane

Well... I went there today (when I found out about it earlier). Yes.... The temptation was great, but I managed to resist it. :woot.gif:

Came very close to ordering the Netherlands F-16 demo decals.... But managed to leave the webpage without ordering.... :rofl:

I started looking at different 72nd scale kits of F-16 Thunderbirds...

Revell of Germany rereleased their F-16C again and you can build a Thunderbirds F-16 from them if you have the decals... To my opinion still the best F-16 in 72nd.

I think I've made my decisions on which Thunderbird and Blue Angel I'll be getting: Academy for both. I can get Academy F-16C T-Bird from eBay for under $25 (incl P&H), and Blue Angel from LuckyModel also for a bit over $25 (incl P&H).

I'm now redirecting my sights on Russian Knights..... I'm considering either ICM (kit# 72223) or Zvezda (kit# 7277) boxing. These two are considerably cheaper than Hasegawa's ridiculous price. Out of these two, which one has the least problem? Which one has better quality decals?

You might as well throw in the support aircraft too. The Thunderbirds used C-130s, C-123s as well as others and the Blue Angels use the Herk too.

Nah... Sorry. Not into those types. I'm only into jet fighters. :whistle:

:D, G'day Mike,

Just a couple of other thoughts. How about the Roulettes' Macchis, the Black Diamonds' Sabres, the Black Panthers' Sabres, the Red Sails' Vampires, the Black Panthers' Hawk and the other Hawk (UP O U) that was designed to commemorate 76 SQN, and the three 77 SQN Mirages that were specially painted up in an all white scheme with red white and blue trim in 1981 for the RAAF's 60 anniversary celebrations. There was even a Macchi painted up in Black Panthers' colours. I'm sure Motty who posts here could give you a lot more info on some of these schemes, seeing he designed one of them. There's also the Hornet 20th anniversary scheme.

:cheers:,

Ross.

:D, G'day Mike,

Just a couple of other thoughts. How about the Roulettes' Macchis, the Black Diamonds' Sabres, the Black Panthers' Sabres, the Red Sails' Vampires, the Black Panthers' Hawk and the other Hawk (UP O U) that was designed to commemorate 76 SQN, and the three 77 SQN Mirages that were specially painted up in an all white scheme with red white and blue trim in 1981 for the RAAF's 60 anniversary celebrations. There was even a Macchi painted up in Black Panthers' colours. I'm sure Motty who posts here could give you a lot more info on some of these schemes, seeing he designed one of them. There's also the Hornet 20th anniversary scheme.

:cheers:,

Ross.

G'Day Ross.... Definitely fruit for thoughts. Especially the Mirages, since I kinda like those planes (used to read Adventures of Tanguy and LaVerdure when I was in primary school :lol: ). I'm also looking at Hornet 20th anniversary. Trying to get the decals from Leading Edge.

I put in an order for an Academy F/A-18A Blue Angel and a Revell CF-18A (for the Canadian 100 years of flight) on LuckyModel this morning! :nanner:

And just a couple of hours later, received an email from LuckyModel saying that my order has been shipped!!! :yahoo:

Edited by Mike C

G'Day Ross.... Definitely fruit for thoughts. Especially the Mirages, since I kinda like those planes (used to read Adventures of Tanguy and LaVerdure when I was in primary school :lol: ). I'm also looking at Hornet 20th anniversary. Trying to get the decals from Leading Edge.

If you're looking for a CF-18 anniversary scheme, you could consider buying the Revell kit that comes with options to build a CF-18 25th anniversary scheme or a Swiss F-18C. I actually have the decal sheet from this in 1/72, untouched - and am not planning to use it.

ALF

A Roulettes' Macchi 326 will be right easy these days. Italeri's reissue of the 1/72 Supermodel 326 has Roulettes markings on the decal sheet.

Italeri also recently issued the three kit box set of Freece Tricolori aircraft in 1/72.

you could try the hasegawa f-16 with the thunderbirds decals.im pretty sure its not in production at the moment but i got 2 from kingkit,or you could try kitkrazy,although secondhand both kits were unmade and complete with decals and instructions..i have bought from both sites regularly and never had a problem with either...just an idea if your stuck buddy

If you're looking for a CF-18 anniversary scheme, you could consider buying the Revell kit that comes with options to build a CF-18 25th anniversary scheme or a Swiss F-18C. I actually have the decal sheet from this in 1/72, untouched - and am not planning to use it.

ALF

As a matter of fact, I'm pretty sure the CF-18 that I ordered from LuckyModel was this exact same one that you mentioned. In my case, the decals would also be untouched since I will be using the Canadian 100 years of flight decals that I ordered from Leading Edge.

you could try the hasegawa f-16 with the thunderbirds decals.im pretty sure its not in production at the moment but i got 2 from kingkit,or you could try kitkrazy,although secondhand both kits were unmade and complete with decals and instructions..i have bought from both sites regularly and never had a problem with either...just an idea if your stuck buddy

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll bookmark kitkrazy for future need... :thumbsup:

Had a quick look at their website, and can only find AMT Thunderbird that contains 3 kits. Because my shelf space is such a premium, I can only build very limited number of birds. In the case of Thunderbird, at this point anyway, I limit myself to the F-16C.

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll bookmark kitkrazy for future need... :thumbsup:

Had a quick look at their website, and can only find AMT Thunderbird that contains 3 kits. Because my shelf space is such a premium, I can only build very limited number of birds. In the case of Thunderbird, at this point anyway, I limit myself to the F-16C.

no prob,i know all too well about limited shelf space.as i say it was just an idea/suggestion to look into

I don't want to make matters worse, but, Leading Edge's 20th anniversary RAAF Hornet sheet is Tip top! Highly recommended :)

Denzil

I don't want to make matters worse, but, Leading Edge's 20th anniversary RAAF Hornet sheet is Tip top! Highly recommended :)

Denzil

:lol: You ain't makin' it worse, mate. Been talkin' to Dave of Leading Edge directly about gettin' the decals. He didn't have it advertised on his site, but apparently he's still got some. I asked him how much for a set of 72nd scale, he hasn't got back to me yet.

Quick, before it gets worse! Go to the nearest wall and bang your head against it, the feeling should pass and you can go back to finishing what you have on your bench. If you continue, good luck with all those slick finishes on those shiny planes.

Randy

I shall refrain from stressing your heart any further by mentioning all the various Japanese AF Special Anniversary schemes:

http://www.amv83.fr/Asm/galleryjapan.htm

and the wonderful 1/72 scale decals for most of them:

http://www.amv83.fr/Asm/jasdf.htm

Heck, I won't even mention the main site:

http://www.amv83.fr/Asm/enter.htm

Sudden urge to build military demo birds!

Welcome to our dark world...........Muahahahaha!

You can check in, but you can never check out........... :gr_devil:

As a matter of fact, I'm pretty sure the CF-18 that I ordered from LuckyModel was this exact same one that you mentioned. In my case, the decals would also be untouched since I will be using the Canadian 100 years of flight decals that I ordered from Leading Edge.

Good choice.

I've never been disappointed with Leading Edge, especially their newer sheets. We're quite lucky to have some really good Canadian decal makers (CanMilAir, Belcher's Bits, and Leading Edge) that have great selections.

ALF

Quick, before it gets worse! Go to the nearest wall and bang your head against it, the feeling should pass and you can go back to finishing what you have on your bench. If you continue, good luck with all those slick finishes on those shiny planes.

Randy

Funny you say that... I was thinking exactly that last night. :lol: