Impatience and Modelling

I need to vent...

I'm getting impatient with my two builds right now. Not that anything is going majorly wrong, just that I'm dying to work on them, and see them finished (I am, after all a bit excited with the hobby), and I rush through some things which make them less than perfect, and I just don't have the time (kids, wife, work, summer projects, work, etc...) to work on them with all the dedication that I want to. Modelling is a very selfish endeavour, but it also requires time/patience.

Alright, done. Thanks for listening.

I feel your pain. Life tends to get in the way of the hobby. I have the days off from work (I work normally two 24 hour shifts a week) but then theres all the other stuff to take care of. And when you do get time at the bench, there's times when you can't do but a little bit before you have to wait on something. It get's frustrating sometimes.

Patience! Who's got time for that! I do the same things trying to push a project along. A while ago I decided that I would sit down and do at least one thing each night, no matter how small. Those sit downs typically turned into, "Oh, is it really 2 o'clock in the morning, it seems like I just got started." As confucious says though, "One must be in the right mindset for modeling or he will repair his rushed through crap for the next few days." I see these guys that claim they built these beautiful models in a week, and I cringe, "Why do my projects take so long?" It's the mistakes my friend. I work on stuff that I've already did as much as I work on the new stuff. Plan wisely, and never do anything without triple checking to make sure it's what you want to do. Carry on my brother.

I'm as impatient as anyone, and it definitely hurts in the modeling department. I just recently got back into it, and I've probably started 4-5 kits without finishing one yet. I start a kit, get overeager, make mistakes, get frustrated over said mistakes, and then I start fresh with another kit. Rinse and repeat.

Frank's words are wise. Rushing breeds mistakes, mistakes breed frustration, frustration hurts productivity and makes it harder to finish a project. I'm still working on fixing that personality flaw.

Patience....One minute you are and the next your not. It happens to everybody. I maybe only 35 years young but I have been building model for 28 of those. I have found I get my best results on anything (not just building models) is went I work on a project when I feel like working on it and not when I have time to work. Sometimes I would come home from work and have a few hours to work on something but.... just don't feel like it. It also helps to know went to stop working on something. As soon as I get frustrated, I stop. It's time to do something else. Go hang out with friends, watch TV, play PS3,....Something. And I'll go back to it when I feel like working on it.

Steven L :wave:

Patience....One minute you are and the next your not. It happens to everybody. I maybe only 35 years young but I have been building model for 28 of those. I have found I get my best results on anything (not just building models) is went I work on a project when I feel like working on it and not when I have time to work. Sometimes I would come home from work and have a few hours to work on something but.... just don't feel like it. It also helps to know went to stop working on something. As soon as I get frustrated, I stop. It's time to do something else. Go hang out with friends, watch TV, play PS3,....Something. And I'll go back to it when I feel like working on it.

Steven L :wave:

As Steven has mentioned, I've found that I do my best work when I really "feel" like building and it's those times when I'm working on a model for the mere sake of making progress that I get results that I'm usually not so pleased with.

This is for me at least the reason I only work on one project at a time. I tried the two, three bits but it just drove me crazy. Now I stick to one kit at a time. If I don't feel like working on it, then I don't. If I have two going then I feel the need to get to the other as well and rush. Thats where mistakes happen. No pressure just one kit at a time.

Edited by Iron Man

Most modelers are folks with above average intellegence, we tend to have our drive to "perfection" flaws.

Must remember the hobby is for fun, and very often, DONE is better than perfect.

Or take the RC Scale model approach: "It's not finished I just got tired of adding details."

I've got the opposite problem been tied up with a 1/4 scale Eindecker and haven't touched plastic since March.

My solution to wanting to get stuff finished is to treat each stage of the build as a separate model. Landing gear, panel and rivet details, ordnance, cockpit, etc., can be very detailed and attractive if you take the time with each stage. My 1/32 builds typically take 6-8 months each, but they're really a combination of 20 small models that come together at the end.

With all this 1:32 & 48 stuff, photo-etch, resin after-market, forums with better models by better modellers, and not forgetting the ever-growing stash, there's a lot of pressure in this hobby these days :D .

Stick to 1/72 OOB :lol:. It's what made the 1970s so great.

Edited by Ensafrirpo

My impatience manifests itself when I start to lose interest in a project, and begin looking at other projects--usually unstarted kits--with covetous eyes. In the past I struggled with this, but now I tend to give into it. A bunch of unfinished projects lying around? So what? So long as at least some occasionally make it to completion, I suppose I'm okay with it. (And believe me, they do--I"m out of room for finished models!)

The upside to such an attitude is that it's a hobby, and so there's no point in stressing about anything. The downside is that parts get lost, and that an uncompleted project can get so old that previous work is below current standards, which causes me to avoid it further. But in general, stuff gets done, even if I have to occasionally fabricate replacements for missing parts.

Just last night I finished a Panzer III that I started almost a decade ago.