1:350 scale Submarines

I have added a few more 1:350 scale subs to my collection - if anyone is interested???

HMS Astute SSN - the Hobby Boss kit...

HMS%20Astute_01.JPG

HMS%20Astute_02.JPG

Russian Kilo Class SSK - Bronco Models kit.

Kilo350_01.JPG

Kilo350_02.JPG

USS Gato (1941) - AVF Club kit....

USS%20Gato_01.JPG

USS%20Gato_02.JPG

USS Virginia SSN - Bronco Models kit.....

USS%20Virginia350_01.jpg

USS%20Virginia350_02.jpg

A few more photos here - plus my 1:700 scale sub collection.

Ken

Edited by Flankerman

I agree, nice work! So how do you attach to the keel blocks?

The bases are simple MDF rectangles - my neighbour has a router tool to give the bevelled edges.

I then give them a couple of coats of stain/varnish to make them look a bit more like real wood.

The keel blocks are from a square section dowel from my local model shop - cut to length slightly wider than the hull.

These block are then glued to the MDF (wood) using white woodwork glue.

I use brass pins through two of the blocks and into the sub hull - using CA glue to attached the hull to the blocks - seemples!

The title are done in Word - and I try to find the subs crest on the internet - and this plus the country flag are printed onto glossy paper using my inkjet printer.

The 'common' bases and titles gives a consistent look for the whole collection - and the crew figures lend a sense of scale.

I use Tamiya 1:350 scale Japanese Naval figures - suitable 'converted' :whistle::rolleyes:

Ken

The bases are simple MDF rectangles - my neighbour has a router tool to give the bevelled edges.

I then give them a couple of coats of stain/varnish to make them look a bit more like real wood.

The keel blocks are from a square section dowel from my local model shop - cut to length slightly wider than the hull.

These block are then glued to the MDF (wood) using white woodwork glue.

I use brass pins through two of the blocks and into the sub hull - using CA glue to attached the hull to the blocks - seemples!

The title are done in Word - and I try to find the subs crest on the internet - and this plus the country flag are printed onto glossy paper using my inkjet printer.

The 'common' bases and titles gives a consistent look for the whole collection - and the crew figures lend a sense of scale.

I use Tamiya 1:350 scale Japanese Naval figures - suitable 'converted' :whistle::rolleyes:

Ken

Ken,

Thanks for the info. Again, the subs look great.

John

Very nice work! I have a couple 1/350 German WWII subs, that I'm kinda scared to start. I think they are a Type VII-C and a Type 9, but they are both packed up and I haven't looked at them in awhile. All I can remember is that the detail was a little sketchy in places, so its going to be interesting to build both of them.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Submarines - piece of P**s to put together.

But to weather them as correctly as you have done is a great skill - well done !

(I may have to get that HMS Astute now....)

• 4 months later...
Guest Dave Tellers

I have added a few more 1:350 scale subs to my collection - if anyone is interested???

HMS Astute SSN - the Hobby Boss kit...

HMS%20Astute_01.JPG

HMS%20Astute_02.JPG

Russian Kilo Class SSK - Bronco Models kit.

Kilo350_01.JPG

Kilo350_02.JPG

USS Gato (1941) - AVF Club kit....

USS%20Gato_01.JPG

USS%20Gato_02.JPG

USS Virginia SSN - Bronco Models kit.....

USS%20Virginia350_01.jpg

USS%20Virginia350_02.jpg

A few more photos here - plus my 1:700 scale sub collection.

Ken

Ken, I have a friend who served on the U.S.S. Bang--Guppy class, or, Gato class? He would like very much to talk with you. Can you give him a shout on his phone, or, e-mail him? 763-427-4885 tmplarnite@yahoo.com Thanks a ton.

BTW--I have a 1/72 Revell Gato class sub--sealed--that I would like to trade for a 1/32, or, 1/48 modern jet? imtelly@izoom.net or, 763-263-2412 Thanks again!

Telly