There really wasnt an all inclusive thread for the Apache like all the other aircraft, so i thought I would add one. I am a CH-47F guy, but the unit I was attached to with my aircraft this deployment is an AH-64D unit, so I have spent the last year or so around them constantly. Here are just a few pics ive gathered in that time.

Picture%252520206.jpg

Picture%252520245.jpg

Picture%252520196.jpg

here is one for you decal nerds! its a 10th CAB bird, TF Tigershark, shark teeth and eye on both port and starboard sides, this one has a cartoon bullet like from Mario Bros on both sides on the engine cowlings, and on just the starboard side on the tail there is a 10th Mtn Div. emblem

Picture%252520296.jpg

close up of shark teeth

Picture%252520304.jpg

Picture%252520241.jpg

Picture%252520009.jpg

Hi Hacker,

I can't speak for 15U, although I think they are the same, all the pics I've posted are D-mod without the radar.

Seeing the fact that these birds operate in a low tech, high altitude environment they don't need the radar. And the weight they save is used for ammo and offcourse fuel.

Personally I've never seen an Apache take off with a full complement of rockets, whatever kind. Always full ammo case for the gun though. A lot of people think that rockets are the main means for a kill. The 30 mm gun is the main armmament. Rockets are nice but heavy. Never underestimate what altitude does to a helicopter, except the CH-47. These things can go anywhere!

Pete.

Never underestimate what altitude does to a helicopter, except the CH-47. These things can go anywhere!

Pete.

Add the Mi-8 Hip to that very short list. They are used extensively over there, including by US special ops guys. I believe the Canucks just purchased some as well.

Hi John,

Correct, the MI-8 in all of it's variants is used maybe more that any other airframe over there. Military and civilian. Good overall performance and availabillity can be good arguments for that.

Special opps guys can have a duallity for their reasons to use the Hip though. The Afghan air force/army uses these machine too. Afghan army, except for officers, is 100% drafted.

Not especially motivated etc. etc. When the bad guys hear an Hip comming and instead of doped up Afghan soldiers, well motivated, quallity trained SF guys get out off the helicopter...

Pete.

Hi guys,

Apache thread though,

some more Dutchies,

DSCN0839.jpg

TK1-20092493.jpg

TK1-2009036.jpg

One more US bird,

TK1-20092263.jpg

For some reason the Brits don't care about extra weight...

WAH-64D

TK1-20091426.jpg

TK1-20091136.jpg

Off into the sunset...

TK1-2009146.jpg

Pete.

Hi John,

Correct, the MI-8 in all of it's variants is used maybe more that any other airframe over there. Military and civilian. Good overall performance and availabillity can be good arguments for that.

Special opps guys can have a duallity for their reasons to use the Hip though. The Afghan air force/army uses these machine too. Afghan army, except for officers, is 100% drafted.

Not especially motivated etc. etc. When the bad guys hear an Hip comming and instead of doped up Afghan soldiers, well motivated, quallity trained SF guys get out off the helicopter...

Pete.

Hi Pete,

If you have any pictures of Hip's operated by the "special" folks, please post. I'm always on the lookout for a subject for my next project.

Regards,

John

Hi Hacker,

I can't speak for 15U, although I think they are the same, all the pics I've posted are D-mod without the radar.

Seeing the fact that these birds operate in a low tech, high altitude environment they don't need the radar. And the weight they save is used for ammo and offcourse fuel.

Personally I've never seen an Apache take off with a full complement of rockets, whatever kind. Always full ammo case for the gun though. A lot of people think that rockets are the main means for a kill. The 30 mm gun is the main armmament. Rockets are nice but heavy. Never underestimate what altitude does to a helicopter, except the CH-47. These things can go anywhere!

Pete.

All the ones I have posted are Ds without the radar as well. The only difference is the addition of the UAV receiver on top of the rotor head/under the belly and the fact that the US ones done have whatever that is on the tips of the stubby wings. I know you cant tell me WHERE those pics were taken, but how bout the altitude. That would most likely explain why they have more weapons loaded.

Agreed that 30MM is the main weapon. The only rockets that are used regularly are smokes during the day and IRs at night, both for marking targets. The flechettes and WPs only get fired when the gun cant get it done. The hellfires are rarely used, but when they are its for a serious target, usually from a standoff range. The fact that they rarely use hellfires most likely also contribues to the fact that ours only carry 2 at a time.

And I wouldnt be so sure on the 47s pete. My -47s here still fly well, but the amount of cargo we can haul is severely reduced. We have fly a max groos weight of 50k lbs and can sling load 25k form the center hook, or 26k from the tandem (front/rear) hooks together. However, at this altitude, we are lucky if at mission weight we can pick up 10k with a sling load. just the nature of the beast i guess.

Add the Mi-8 Hip to that very short list. They are used extensively over there, including by US special ops guys. I believe the Canucks just purchased some as well.

The HIPs out here fly very very well, and seem to fly BETTER at higher altitudes. They can climb with a full load like nothing. It is crazy.

But yeah, this is the AH-64 thread.

Hi guys,

Apache thread though,

For some reason the Brits don't care about extra weight...

WAH-64D

only thing i can figure as to why they are flying with more where you are at is altidue. if they are flying down near sea level, or anywhere below about 5k ft MSL, then they can probably fly with 4 racks. Above that, and the ability to carry more weight is severely reduced. I was talking to a pilot yesterday about a FOB they go into and how when they grab gas there, every single time they are barely able to get above the Hesco barriers at the end of the improvised runway because of just how much the weight affects their performance, especially climbing.

Hi Pete,

If you have any pictures of Hip's operated by the "special" folks, please post. I'm always on the lookout for a subject for my next project.

Regards,

John

make sure to throw them in the thread specifically for Hips, and not in this one. thanks

Hi guys,

The "whatever" on the stubby wings on Dutch 64's is a counter measures device.

S3010063.jpg

Don't know the details but they carry extra chaff and flares.

The Dutch 64's carried more weapons load because they performed in the close air support role. They flew when needed. Most of the time relatively close to base.

For the altitude it was max load every time.

As for where these pics are taken, the Dutch redeployed last year from Uruzgan province.

So it's history I guess...

Pete.

• 7 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...

For those folks who eat, breathe and live Apaches, at one time it was a thought that the -64 would/could be upgraded to carry AIM-9's; has this been dropped or what is the present thoughts on this. If 'winders could be carried it would sure make for some interesting A2A encounters.

Gents,

Didn't realise there was a general Apache thread. A selection from the Army Air Corps, I don't think any of these have been posted here before but apologises if they have.

Rolling take-off, Wattisham, September 2012.

8003475106_de250e6449_o.jpg

Landing in driving rain at a military charity fund raising event at Framlingham College, UK. April 2012.

7122243829_f1914488b6_o.jpg

FARP demo in the arena at the annual Suffolk show. June 2011.

5995159316_94b08f56c2_o.jpg

Taxiing to apron, Wattisham, May 2011.

5771776952_47353a6474_o.jpg

High speed runs over one of the country roads next to Wattisham. September 2009.

3934432967_343b5d9a9f_o.jpg

Practise performance for the 2011 display crew.

5716303688_7e9d38b0e9_o.jpg

5715737971_31a5e01a2b_o.jpg

5973833172_bf25116055_o.jpg

Wingovers, Wattisham, September 2012.

8003474484_2ec49993eb_o.jpg

Old one, Wattisham apron, May 2008.

2497786812_5562f0f9d7_o.jpg

Gary