Starting my 1/72 scale Shuttle/Booster kit

As you can see I still have a lot of detail and paint work to do, but it's getting there. My new goal deadline is the Calmex model contest in January. I hope I can make it but as you all can tell, I'm not a really fast builder.

Thanks for checking it out. Comments, critiques and suggestions always welcome.

I don't know how far along you are Bill, with finishing the SRB bodies themselves ... but I see the seam. If you're gonna enter it into a contest, those seams hafta be invisible.

If you haven't got anywhere near finishing the SRB's, just disregard this comment. :whistle:

So far, so good ... your SSME nozzle looks GREAT! I love those colours!! And is that a CAUTION decal I see, in Red, on the nozzle??

Keep up the good work!

Pete

Good eye Pete, but no, I'm not finished with the SRB bodies. the left one is further along and mostly done with the exception of having to repaint the top area since I had to fix the seam to the frustrums and main body. The right one hasn't had the lower part filled, sanded and painted yet. I'm still playing with getting the insulation on the lower SRB bodies more realistic, I'm not happy with what's there right now. On the SSME nozzle, that is actually a stray paint mark from the fuel lines that were painted. I need to clean that off and fix it. I did make some yellow "Caution, do not crush" decals for the nozzles. I had to print it on white paper with a grey/black background and haven't had to chance to color match the paint on the nozzles so the decal surround doesn't show up. Still much to do but getting there.

Thanks for checking it out.

Bill

Some preliminary work on the ET umbilical connections. This is the port connection. I'll probably stop the lines that run to the ET short at the elbow connections and then I can run straight plastic tubing between to make sure the distances are correct. I may do the complete beam that goes between the vertical supports. That way I can add all of the cable tray and supports, but not weaken the structure that actually supports the shuttle. Not sure but either way some of this stuff will be made.

leftumbilicalconnection_zpsa16a4487.jpg

Bill

A little more CAD work done on the ET/Shuttle interface. I still have a few details to add and some research to tie down some small stuff but on the port side and I just started the starboard side but overall I think it captures the busyness of all the connections. I don't know if I want to scratch build this stuff traditionally or print it but either way the 3D model helps figure it all out.

umbilicalinterface1_zps9b239f9e.jpg

umbilicalinterface2_zpsbbc94fa9.jpg

umbilicalinterface3_zps6ee09429.jpg

Thanks,

Bill

Thanks guys. I don't know about being a jack of all trades, I just do what I can with what I have. Manfred, your sir are the artist when it comes to scratchbuilding. If any of you guys haven't seen his work, mosey on over to his MLP build he has going on here. Makes this stuff look like crayons next to Rembrandt. Anyway

I printed a full size paper print of different views of the interface details to check for fit. So far amazingly everything seems to be lining up pretty well. The mismatched alignment between the bottom and side view is just the paper sagging, It actually lines up quite well with my struts and the lines running down the tank.

bracing on tank:

DSC_0069_zps7c6d18b4.jpg

Umbilicals on shuttle;

DSC_0078_zpsc3e76950.jpg

Shuttle on tank;

DSC_0075_zps3190c9c7.jpg

I think I will print this out for sake of time and avoiding headaches. Besides, if I am going to offer this part I need to ensure it works.

Comments, critiques and suggestions always welcome.

Bill

Bill,

already your paper prints of the interface details look great and fit very well. :thumbsup:

Can not wait to see the 3D prints on the ET. :gr_hail:

Your work inspires me again and again, it is an amazing and innovative level in Real space modeling, which you are presenting here.

Thank you for sharing with us. :worship::worship::worship:

:wave:

Edited by spaceman
  • 2 weeks later...

Ok, the cross member and ET/Shuttle interface details are almost done and ready to print. For my build I will have the everything attached as one unit. I'll likely break some of these parts up to allow for easier installation on a typical new build that hasn't had the orbiter closed already.

umbilicalinterface7_zps403d8325.jpg

umbilicalinterface8_zps2d6a786d.jpg

This is one area I can't find enough good pics to see exactly what's going on with the electrical conduits. If ANYONE has a close up shot of this area from various angles I'd really appreciate it. You can see where I've stopped the rectangular electrical wire ways until I find out their paths.

umbilicalinterface9_zps70dfca0c.jpg

Thanks,

Bill

While I'm waiting to print out the interface part I decided to start tackling some more of the orbiter details. Since finding the paper for the blanket texture I started figuring out how to bring the other surfaces up to the same level. I decided on using .010" thick sheet styrene and using a much more simplified process than eg's incredible tile work. I also decided that the hinges I had in place would not work so I came up with a solution for that I think. I took a strip of .010" plastic the width of the hinge tiles and glued .035" plastic rod to it to represent the hinge itself and painted that black. Then using a printed out scaled picture of the shuttles sides I cut each hinge to the proper width. Then simply glued those in place. Now when I put the blankets on it should be nice a level.

DSC_0157_zps370ef240.jpg

DSC_0158_zpsb113942a.jpg

DSC_0161_zpsfbde49d5.jpg

DSC_0162_zpse87d149a.jpg

Thanks for checking it out. comment, critiques and suggestions are always welcome.

Bill

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I finally got my ET/Shuttle interface part in. I think it turned out great. One of the better prints I've gotten from Shapeways. Here are some shots after cleaning and then with a coat of primer on it. The details really turned out pretty nice. This isn't how the part will be offered in my shop since most people won't have to install after the shuttle is closed up, so the umbilicals and the tank mounting parts will be separate. I know I'm going to have a bit of a challege getting this thing to fit into my build but hopefully it will be worth the effort.

As they come from Shapeways just cleaned in mild soapy water.

DSC_0313_zpsf8e663aa.jpg

DSC_0316_zps27446bdb.jpg

With some white primer to help show the details.

DSC_0319_zps5e404d6b.jpg

DSC_0324_zpsc9ebc113.jpg

DSC_0322_zpsdad3da39.jpg

I separated the doors to make it easier to paint. They will also come serparated on the shop parts. I have a litle tweaking but these should be ready to sell pretty shoon.

DSC_0329_zps49cbfdf1.jpg

I'll try to get some shots of it on the model as soon as I figure out the best way to install it.

Bill

Wow!!!! That turned out really good. I may have to look into one of those when I get to that point in my 1/72 build.

Sometimes I wonder what we would do without Manfred and his dedication to finding literature on this stuff.

:thumbsup:/>

Mike

Hi Bill,

your collection of 3D printed shuttle details is getting more and more spectacular. :blink:

The ET/Orbiter umbilical interface turned out awesome. So I am happy when I was able to contribute to your progress with my reference material. up040577.gif

Keep on performing magic! 019.gif

:wave: