Modifying clear parts

I want to modify the front canopy on my Hasegawa F-8E but I am not sure how I go about it.

GEDC0586.jpg

The bit with the arrow needs to be removed and a new clear piece inserted to make the screen more correct for the F-8K I am building. I only have one canopy, so if I get it wrong I am....well you get the picture. I think I can use a sharp blade and slowly work on cutting area out, however, I am worried about cracking or scratching rest of the canopy.

Also, is there a special glue to glue new piece in as I am worried that I won't get clear join and not sure how you would fix any mistakes.

So are there any tips out there for this??

The chicken in me says just fill in the hole and paint it as it is :(

I want to modify the front canopy on my Hasegawa F-8E but I am not sure how I go about it.

GEDC0586.jpg

The chicken in me says just fill in the hole and paint it as it is :(

Listen to the chicken!!! Anything else will result in disaster!!!

Bob

Your 'cut' edges will always be visible, even with crystal clear glue. Clear plastic is far more brittle too, your knife idea won't work. A PE saw would be your best option. But I'd just see if there is a vacuum formed one, or try to make my own vacumm formed canaopy.

I would go with a fine-toothed razor saw (as mentioned above); this will distribute pressure much more evenly and efficiently than a knife or scalpel. Before you begin to saw, fill the canopy piece with a loaf of poster putty; this will help to absorb pressure and prevent excess cracking. The poster putty also helps to hold the piece steady as you work.

HTH

cheers

Old Blind Dog

Why do you need to cut it out??? you can always sand down the framing detail around glass, then re-scribe in the correct framing shape.

You don't even have to re-scribe as you can just mask and paint in the new frame shape.

Curt

Edited by Netz

Wait a minute, a F-8K is an "C" so how are you going to do it with an "E" :}

You need Davids (Muroc Models)F-8A conversion.

Curt

Yes, you are quite right the K is based on the C and if I had a conversion kit it would be easier. I decided to go the DYI route with all the modifications to the Hasegawa's F-8E frame. So far I have been fine with the conversions, but, the canopy bit has me worried.

I have thought about sanding and rescribing, but there is a hole in it for the IR sensor.

I might have to try Vac form.

To do the "C" conversion right you really need to narrow the fuselage a bit,Here's a shot of the Muroc Models front fuselage, you can see how far back he took the fuselage.

You might try to contact David an see if he will sell you a vac canopy.

Curt

note; these are test shots when he was making the masters.

101_2679.jpg

Edited by Netz