I have a nice Blu-Ray player with updated firmware, etc. Like most other families, we enjoy movie nights on the weekends. Blu-Ray picture resolution is fabulous, but I have noticed some other issues that knock it down a peg.

The biggest issue is just basic reliability. Sometimes, they just won't play, despite having the latest firmware. Firmware itself is an issue. Can they not come up with a standard for this format and be done with it? I just want to watch a movie, for goodness sakes. I don't need enhanced interactive features that require you to be on-line with your Blu-Ray player, hooking up your computer to the TV, etc.

Another aspect of reliability is it seems that Blu-Rays are temperamental and will not tolerate even the slightest scratches. About every other rental Blu-Ray that comes into our home will get to a certain point in the movie and freeze. Usually it will stay stuck there. Sometimes it will try to skip ahead to the next undamaged area on the disc, but more often than not, you are done. You can't manually skip ahead either when frozen, at least not on my machine. So when a rental Blu-Ray comes into my house, we hold our breath and wonder if we will make it through it. It takes away from the experience a little.

Last night we watched Team America for the first time in about five years (released 2004). It was an old rental DVD which had been kicking around the local BB shop for years. It had probably been played hundreds of time, and was really beat up....just full of scratches. I popped it in my Blu-Ray player and it played without a hitch.

Another Blu-Ray issue I have heard about is inconsistent transfer quality, both with video and audio. I like a lot of old movies. Some look and sound magnificent on Blu-Ray and some don't. Sometimes it depends on your source material. I'll give you some examples of the mixed success of Blu-Ray transfer with some classic films:

Example #1 - The original Godzilla from 1954. It was re-released in 2010 with the never before released Japanese "Gojira" version, packaged with the Americanized Raymond Burr version. It could be purchased in DVD or Blu-Ray format. However, this film was never intended to be viewed in Hi-Def. The original film was apparently not restored. Reviews state that because of the Hi-Def, you can see every scratch, speck, and grain. So, in this case, given the quality of the source material, the film is over resolved when viewed in Hi-Def. I purchased the DVD version, which is fine.

Example #2 - The Final Countdown. Being a VS-24/CVW-8/Nimitz guy, I am obviously going to be a big fan of this movie. I have this on DVD from a few years back. Recently, I heard about the Blu-Ray release and read up on it. Reviewers are saying the picture is magnificant, but the audio is not as good as on the DVD issued previously.

Example #3 - 2001:A Space Odyssey. Whether you like this movie or not, you have to give it props for its originality, visionary direction, and just pure beauty. The Blu-Ray version of this film is spectacular. It was originally shot on 70mm film in order to obtain the best picture possible in theaters. 70mm is the same size film as IMAX. Most movies are shot on 35mm film. So you can imagine what a 70mm film is like shown in Hi-Def. The only knock on the Blu-Ray version of 2001 is in the opening sequence involving the ape-men. You can tell the sequence was filmed on a sound stage because you can actually see the texture of the large matte painting they used as a backdrop for the set. However, once you get out into space, it is a visual treat.

My point here is that although Blu-Ray is beautiful, it is not everything for everyone. Old movies and TV shows from the 50's and 60's don't always look better in Hi-Def. That starship console that looked good on TV, and looked great in DVD, now has obvious wood grain on it when show in Blu-Ray Hi-Def. So if it is old, it might be better to stick with DVD. If you are renting a character driven drama or romantic comedy, and it doesn't have grand vista special effects, Blu-Ray is not going to make much of a visual difference, and it may freeze on you. Sometimes DVD is the safer choice.

I've been using the bluray on my ps3 since it came out and haven't noticed any of the problems you mentioned. I haven't seen a movie yet that didn't look better on bluray. This is on a 58inch plasma....on my 42incher DVD's do look better, but you can still easily tell the difference.

I, like fulcrum, use a PS3 for blu-ray and haven't noticed any of the issues you are describing regarding reliability.

In regard to the quality of the transfer to any medium, be it VHS, DVD, laser disk...whatever. Someone had to remaster that for the new transfer. Sometimes they get it right, sometimes they get it wrong. A perfect example of this is the first DVD release of the original Star Wars trilogy. It actually made it look worse when they first transferred it to DVD because the digital medium revealed all the smoke and mirrors....stuff like the black squares around the Star Destroyers as they fly through space were very obvious when the picture made the jump to digital. Then they released the trilogy a second time on DVD (the release that contains the original theatrical versions as well), and they had gone back and actually touched all the stuff up and it looked much better. It's all up to a person turning the dials to clean it up for the new audio/video standard.

DutyCat,

I think you fail to see the important of the online capabilities of BR players. The best part of having a BR player that can connected to the internet(like the PS3) is that it can updated it's software easily and faster. IMHO, I feel that the PS3 is one of the better blu-ray players on the market. I have never had any problem with it not reading and playing any type of disk. As for renting blu-rays.... :unsure: you may want to look into Netflix. With Netflix you can stream movies and show all day long. No more scratch up disks to deal with. And yes, it is pointless to watch older movie on bluray.

just my two cents,

Steven L :wave:

Well, I have Blockbuster mail order account....same as Netflix. I will not buy a PS3 as I personally don't care for video games and online interactive content doesn't interest me. As far as firmware updates....I don't want to have to hassle with that either. I just want a robust mature system that will just play the damn disk when I put it in....each and every time. Just like a DVD player. Very simple and I think not to much to ask.

I've never had a problem with my PS3 reading Blu-Ray discs either ...

As far as movies without proper enhancement for HD, that's more of the Studio's fault than the medium ... Generally, I mostly only get newer movies on Blu-Ray, older movies on DVD unless it's Disney, they know how to properly upgrade their movies ... I'll be getting the LOTR Extended Editions and Star Wars Saga on BD after they are released ... Don't forget, just about all Blu-Ray players upscale DVDs ...

You don't mention what brand Blu-Ray player you own ...

Gregg

That was my question, is there a noticeable difference when playing a standard DVD on a blue ray player? I have heard they uprate the standard DVD but I was wondering if it is worth it.

I've noticed a good difference through my set up ...

I have both the PS3 and a standard DVD player both hooked up to the same HDTV ...

The DVDs on the PS3 look much better being upscaled ...

Part of it can be attributed to connection, the PS3 is hooked up through an HDMI cable while the DVD player is running through Component cables, the best connections either system offers ...

Gregg

I have Blockbuster mail order account....same as Netflix

I was not talking about the mail in account. Was talking about the streaming abilities of Netflix. The days of renting disks is dead. Have you notice the no# of Blockbusters closing down... :tumble:

I will not buy a PS3 as I personally don't care for video games and online interactive content doesn't interest me. As far as firmware updates....I don't want to have to hassle with that either

I statement like that tell me someone has not researched anything about blu-ray technology. So you don't care for video games, Ok the PS3 is more than just a gaming system. But it seem to me you are not willing to see pass that.

Enjoy your dvds,

I statement like that tell me someone has not researched anything about blu-ray technology. So you don't care for video games, Ok the PS3 is more than just a gaming system. But it seem to me you are not willing to see pass that.

I'm with Dutycat. If you just want a Blu-Ray player, then a PS3 in an extreme waste of money. You can get a Blu-Ray player for $100, less in some places. My kids have a PS3, but I don't use it as a Blu-Ray player... it's a game console.

I have to admit though, Netflix is the way to go. I love how I can stream OR get a disc in the mail, AND keep it as long as I like.

Edited by indydog

I agree the days of the disk are limited. Viva digital streaming and downloads!

What are some of the best Blue-Ray disks out there i'n your humble opinion? Not just a great movie but a great viewing high-def and audio experience on disk?

My short list includes:

Batman Dark Knight

I was not talking about the mail in account. Was talking about the streaming abilities of Netflix. The days of renting disks is dead. Have you notice the no# of Blockbusters closing down... :tumble:

Enjoy your dvds,

Gosh, do you have to be patronizing? I don't like video games, so I don't need an expensive piece of equipment that is primarily designed as a console gaming system. What's so hard to understand about that?

I realize the renting discs will eventually go the way of the dodo, but for now, I don't have streaming capability. Also, is streaming video Blu-Ray quality? I don't know.

I realize the renting discs will eventually go the way of the dodo, but for now, I don't have streaming capability. Also, is streaming video Blu-Ray quality? I don't know.

I am also waiting for high-def streaming, but I think it's a bandwidth issue that needs to be solved first. Aside from a larger pipeline, I wonder what work is being done to compress the data stream smaller?

I bought a Blue Ray player and hi-def TV last fall. I have to admit, Blue Rays discs look fantastic, but I popped in my LOTR and Star Wars DVDs and they look pretty darned spiffy upconverted to HD..although it took me a bit to get used to it. Movies are so crisp and clear they look more like they were shot on videotape rather than film (if anything, the original 1977 Star Wars looked too sharp and clear.) While I will probably buy Blue Ray discs from here on out, I see no real reason to go back and replace the stuff I already have on DVD.

One thing that annoys me about Disney is that a lot of their Blue Rays are only available as part of a "combo pack" that includes a DVD. I was looking at getting the new Tron movie, but it's only available as a stand-alone DVD, or a BR/DVD combo (for ten bucks more.) I suppose it makes sense for a family with kids with a BR at home and DVD in the car, but I have no interest in buying the same movie in two different formats.

I have Netflix streaming through a DSL connection, and I'm not real impressed with the video quality (I can't comment on the audio..it sounds fine to me, but I'm using the regular TV speakers rather than any kind of sound system.) The video is certainly no better than 'old school' DVDs. For the most part the resolution and detail are OK, but in large areas of subtle gradient color there is often noticeable pixelation. It's also a bit annoying that it takes a movie around three minutes to download before it'll start playing (whereas on a computer a streaming movie only takes a few seconds to start.)

SN

See, I had the good fortune of seeing Star Wars back in 1977 in 70mm, 6 Track Stereo multiple times ... So, I've longed for that kind of experience in the home for a long time ...

I believe it was one of like 6 or 8 theaters in the US back then that showed it like so ...

Gregg

I have a buddy that works in visual media and he and all his techie friends tell me there's not much difference between up-converting DVD players and Blu-ray. They also don't like supporting Blu-ray since it is Sony's own proprietary technology (which naturally had better work great on their own PS3's! ;))... and because Sony is more than happy to charge ridiculous prices on the market they created... unlike DVD that they have no control over.

There is an actual difference between upscaling and Blu-ray ...

Don't forget, DVD is at a native 480i and only so much can actually be squeezed out of that ...

>>> Clicky <<<

Sony has had partners in the development of Blu-ray also, such as Sam-sung and others ...

>>> Clicky <<<

Gregg

Edited by GreyGhost

streaming and downloads will only go so far. All it takes is one lengthy network outage for streaming media to take a big hit.

Because of the reliance streaming has on network resources, physical media will always be around.

Gosh, do you have to be patronizing?

I was kinda thinking the same thing with your whole "robust mature system" comment. So, I am using what you view as a glorified child's toy?

My PS3 is much more than a video game system. It is a complete entertainment system. I can stream Netflix media. I can play DVD and Blu-Ray disks. With a simple download on my PC, I setup a media server which streams all my media on my PC to my TV. I can watch all my videos on my large screen through the PS3 media server, I can listen to all my digital audio through my home theater system via the media server, I can watch youtube videos and so much more.

Edited by PNW_Modeler

We have got to the point now where we buy only new releases or our favourites on blu-ray. I have ripped movies to our media server as MKV or AVI. Cannot stand wading through ads, copyright "you are a thief" announcements and menus just to get to the movie.

I also have converted a number of VCR tapes as DVD versions were never released.

Currently we have 1000 DVD's and about 15 blu-ray releases.

Uk is going digital bit by bit and each county is going from analogue to digital..MY trun I think is in September.So I am not wiser now reading this thread.. :doh:

What I would like to know with all this talk of Blu-ray and DVD's is that firstly I have SKY Digital so I guess the switchover wont be as bad for ME..

....And the question is that if I buy another TV, something fancy , flat screen with all the mod cons like HD etc, then which of the two , BLU-RAY or DVD would be the wiser choice as at this moment I HAVE NOTHING, never had any kind of video recording machines etc o watch home DVD's etc etc..

TIA. :thumbsup:

HOLMES