1/35 Mi-6 crazy project

I just discovered this thread- beautiful, beautiful work, Norbert- cheers! I work with some of the very best CG modelers in the world, I'm proud to say- and you stand right up there with them. This is an epic project- and you are breaking ground in an important new aspect of our hobby-- I salute you. :banana: With a banana, of course!

Oh man, I think I am going to have to learn about programming so that I can make a 32nd Bell 412 with this technology!

Somehow Chuckw, I think it is something I cant learn overnight!Is there a particular programme that seems to stand out as the 'one to use or learn about' or is it still in its infancy? I see these printers are coming down in price for a decent hi-res one.

Cheers

Anthony

Many thanks guys for your kind words.

designing with 3D CAD is something normal today in industry. Boys learn

Solidworks, Catia, Inventor...in ingeneering schools.

OK, I'm 52 this week, and learned it. My experience in scratchbuilding was a big help.

So Anthony, I have no doubts you can do it.

Printing is another thing : To obtain sharp details, I need to use micro stereolithography. The best I found is 16 microns thin layers<<<<;

Prices of such printing and of such machines are today still insane.

I'm lucky to have a good job to afford that, and that my wife accept it.

Have a nice day

Norbert

Norbert, this is the most amazing scale helicopter model... Ever! I am learning Autodesk Inventor and I just today received one of the first pieces that I've sent out for printing-- I am addicted to 3D now! The price of quality printing is very high and you will have a fortune invested in this model, but it will be a truly unique masterpiece when it is complete!

Norbert, this is the most amazing scale helicopter model... Ever! I am learning Autodesk Inventor and I just today received one of the first pieces that I've sent out for printing-- I am addicted to 3D now!

Does this mean that Fireball will have some very nice products coming out in the future? I'm not quite sure of what this technology means for our hobby, is this more geared toward projects like Norberts or can we expect to see aftermarket folks starting to release commercial products (similar to what Liveresin is doing for the 1/35 armor realm) using this method?

Edited by 11bee

The very nice thing about using 3D modeling is it allows for more complex parts to be created that can then be used as masters for resin casting. I've created a few 3D models for people that will be used for resin casting, and I think its something that will help our hobby a lot.

Norbert, this is the most amazing scale helicopter model... Ever! I am learning Autodesk Inventor and I just today received one of the first pieces that I've sent out for printing-- I am addicted to 3D now! The price of quality printing is very high and you will have a fortune invested in this model, but it will be a truly unique masterpiece when it is complete!

Hi Joseph

I took advantage of a 20% black friday ticket for the next sections.

Great you start on Inventor, and yes, you may becomme addicted.

Now, will I be too curious asking for some pics of your first printing ?

Have a nice day

Norbert

Does this mean that Fireball will have some very nice products coming out in the future? I'm not quite sure of what this technology means for our hobby, is this more geared toward projects like Norberts or can we expect to see aftermarket folks starting to release commercial products (similar to what Liveresin is doing for the 1/35 armor realm) using this method?

Hi John

What is spectacular, you can do a complete frame as I did, or single details like

life resin. Possibilities seems endless

connector13.jpg

but there are limits : printers DPI and printable dimensions.

Norbert

Hi Joseph

I took advantage of a 20% black friday ticket for the next sections.

Great you start on Inventor, and yes, you may becomme addicted.

Now, will I be too curious asking for some pics of your first printing ?

Have a nice day

Norbert

Every little bit of discount helps, right?

Here is the model:

VectorWork6_zps6f5cba8a.jpg

And here is the printed wheel on a rubber casting of a tire that was made the "traditional" way:

JO236257.jpg

This is 1/24 scale and the overall diameter of the wheel is just 0.863" inch. And it cost a ridiculous amount to print it!!

For me, I must have a very detailed sketch to start from. I can't fathom something as complex as a complete model just yet.

There have been complete kits made from 3d-printed masters for a few years now, and the large figurines that are made from digital Zbrush sculptures are breathtaking. The technology can be applied to all manner of scale model projects. Norbert's is the most ambitious helicopter project by far, though. Some of the coolest 3d-printed models I know of are spacecraft from Battlestar Galactica that were made directly from the digital models used for the CGI in the show. Once you start learning the process it's like a whole new world opens up for you. As Norbert says, the only limitations right now are the resolution and build envelope of particular machines... and cost.

Hi

who is the madest Oliver ?

Back to CAD model

I made the interior wall details of the nose

mi-6zzzza.jpg

I started also on the cockpit floor and front wall

mi-6zzzz.jpg

Added gunner/observer seat, DShK inside gun cover, tablets...I still have plenty to add

mi-6zzzzb.jpg

Norbert

Edited by norbert

Thank you Shawn, thank you Alexandre !

Next section of fuselage are now in UPS hands...can't wait.

Should get some MH-47 parts and connectors also

wondering how they will look

Norbert

Cant wait to see the next section! And that interior is looking great already.

I'm just starting on my 2 most ambitious modeling projects so far. Working on a German WWI Zeppelin, and a Soviet destroyer, both will be in 1/700 scale when I'm finished. Was having a ton of problems getting it on my computer at home, so I tried it on my workstation here at work, and its working perfectly. I knew my computer at home was far from the optimum when it comes to using Solidworks, but what I'm working on now glaringly points out just how bad it actually is.

When I get farther along, I'll post some prelim pic's of mine if the client I'm doing them for will allow it.

Hi Adam

CAD starts with expensive computers...and continues with expensive printing...

You're welcome to show your work

I received the 4 aft sections, "c'est le pied" (french expression, it's the foot, to say I enjoy it)

mi-6zzzzf.jpg

Norbert