1/32 Academy F/A-18C Hornet

Gents,

This is my first build since joining ARC and I am working on my first of many big jets. In the past I have stuck with WWII aircraft in this scale, but needed a change.

I am most of the way through the build as you can see. I am not a big fan of decalling as it has burnt me in the past, and you can do everything by the book and still get silvering. I have been using Montex masks for aircraft markings and Hobby Decal dry transfers for the stencil data on my WWII builds, but there is not a great deal of support in this area for modern aircraft... Until now. I found Ad Astra Masks who make custom masks. I sent them a photo of the markings I am after and I am using the masks now. In addition some Eduard PE stencils, and there are only a couple of decals I need to use, but these are all decals that I can trim to the edge of, reducing silvering.

Anther fact I love about spraying the markings, is the control of the colour and contrast you have. Case in point the NO STEP marking on the elevator of the Hornet, they are hardly visible unless up close, and you can control that well while spraying.

Anyway here are some pictures.

IMG_0939.jpg

and the result:

IMG_0948.jpg

IMG_0944.jpg

IMG_0945.jpg

IMG_0941.jpg

IMG_0953.jpg

Kudos on painting the markings, I find it worthwhile whenever I've done them. Like you, I've done painted markings primarily on larger WW2 planes.

I have this kit i'n the stash and you have mow inspired me!

Nice progress so far! Using masking tape as templates for stencils and lettering is very nice idea. The result is terrific!

The build looks to be very promising.;).

I will follow with much interest.

Cheers and happy modeling!

Alexander.

I'm in the same boat - no 100% effective method (that I know of!) for decaling. Use masks almost exclusively for armor builds...with the colossal amount of stenciling on modern aircraft, I would think the masks would get very expensive very quickly?

Nice work!

Thanks for the kind words and encouragement gentlemen.

The custom made masks do have there limitations though. Lettering smaller than 2mm becomes less than perfect. An example is the "F/A-18C" printed under the elevators on the fuselage sides is a little wonky, but useable. I am getting by using the Eduard Photo Etch stencil for other common markings, and these are great.

Markings such as the Ejection Seat warnings and Intake Warnings will be decals, but I will keep you posted.

• 1 month later...

Well it is about 99% complete. Just a few lights and the AIM-9M's with seeker covers to attach, but here are some pic's anyway.

I was waiting on another set of masks from Ad Astra, which arrived and I sprayed the US insignia.

IMG_1111.jpg

IMG_1110.jpg

IMG_1112.jpg

IMG_1144.jpg

IMG_1145.jpg

IMG_1147.jpg