Now the cargo / troop area.

100_2618.jpg

Port side. This photo contains the winch controls and a whole lot of plumbing.

100_2621.jpg

Troop seats.

100_2619.jpg

100_2620.jpg

More plumbing.

100_2623.jpg

100_2647.jpg

100_2646.jpg

100_2645.jpg

This is one of several circuit panels through out the aircraft.

100_2644.jpg

Dave Fassett

Now for the ceiling. The first photo is taken from the front of the aircraft facing aft. It starts at the edge of the starboard access door.

100_2652.jpg

100_2653.jpg

Just in front of the red box is yet another circuit panel for the gear box and its associated computers and other goodies.

100_2654.jpg

Here is the winch in the stowed position. This is not visible when the upper loading door is in the full up position.

100_2622-1.jpg

Dave Fassett

CV-22B S/N:091012 - This one went down in Afghanistan. She was brand new in these pics! This is what they look like new.(See the above post) As I recall from my 10 years of pounding Air Force flightline, the aircraft used to be taken care of better. It's disgraceful that the Airman and the NCOs don't show more pride in their aircraft and something, like applying ProSeal to the panels, can't even be done right.

I used to work in Production Flight Test at Bell Helicopter. Enjoy!

IMG_0425.jpg

IMG_0427.jpg

IMG_0430.jpg

IMG_0433.jpg

Edited by SteveV22FE

Nice pictures, thanks to everyone for posting. Regarding Bulldog's excellent CV-22 detail shots, I am quite surprised at the amount of stenciling on these birds. It seems a bit over to the top to stencil on the name of the individual components (ie- "chaff / flare AN/ALE-47", "Sensor AAR-54"). Do the AF folks really need to be reminded as to what these things are called?

Plus it seems that every single removable access panel has it's ID number painted on.

Seems like it will be a pain restoring all those stencils every time the paint is touched up.

Plus, as a general question -

Why are the Marine Ospreys, which are used for nothing more than general cargo / transport duties labeled MV-22? This would denote a special operations aircraft, while the AF Ospreys, which ARE used for special ops, are designated CV-22, which would indicated they are nothing more than trash haulers?

Edited by 11bee

Nice pictures, thanks to everyone for posting. Regarding Bulldog's excellent CV-22 detail shots, I am quite surprised at the amount of stenciling on these birds. It seems a bit over to the top to stencil on the name of the individual components (ie- "chaff / flare AN/ALE-47", "Sensor AAR-54"). Do the AF folks really need to be reminded as to what these things are called?

Plus it seems that every single removable access panel has it's ID number painted on.

Seems like it will be a pain restoring all those stencils every time the paint is touched up.

Why are the Marine Ospreys, which are used for nothing more than general cargo / transport duties labeled MV-22? This would denote a special operations aircraft, while the AF Ospreys, which ARE used for special ops, are designated CV-22, which would indicated they are nothing more than trash haulers?

The stencils are all over both aircraft. In production they have to be there according to the blue print. The aircraft have to be in accordance with the print at delivery. What the USMC and USAF do with them after they are delivered is up to them.

They are a pain to put on. At Bell, they have a stencil machine that cut the stencils for touch-ups after the initial paint job was applied. When cleaning the aircraft with solvents, alcohol or acetone, the stencils would rub off and we would have to repaint them.

The MV-22, the M stands for "multi-mission". The CV-22, the C really stands for "Cargo". I think it had more to do with the procurement side of things. Basically, politics to get it bought.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

CV-22B S/N:091012 - This one went down in Afghanistan. She was brand new in these pics! This is what they look like new.(See the above post) As I recall from my 10 years of pounding Air Force flightline, the aircraft used to be taken care of better. It's disgraceful that the Airman and the NCOs don't show more pride in their aircraft and something, like applying ProSeal to the panels, can't even be done right.

I used to work in Production Flight Test at Bell Helicopter. Enjoy!

IMG_0425.jpg

IMG_0427.jpg

IMG_0430.jpg

IMG_0433.jpg

Steve,

Those photographs are just AWESOME.. :wub:

THE OSPREYS look magnificent.. Thanks ..only just seen the,..

Dave ..stunning walk- arounds and some fabulous shots of the

Osprey...

Gentlemen your photos are way COOL!!! :worship:

• 5 months later...

The stencils are all over both aircraft. In production they have to be there according to the blue print. The aircraft have to be in accordance with the print at delivery. What the USMC and USAF do with them after they are delivered is up to them.

They are a pain to put on. At Bell, they have a stencil machine that cut the stencils for touch-ups after the initial paint job was applied. When cleaning the aircraft with solvents, alcohol or acetone, the stencils would rub off and we would have to repaint them.

The MV-22, the M stands for "multi-mission". The CV-22, the C really stands for "Cargo". I think it had more to do with the procurement side of things. Basically, politics to get it bought.

What was said about "M" stands for multi-mission or special mission ( ie. MH-53 , MC-130 )and "C" stands for cargo ( ie, CH-53, C-130) is true. I did get from a Navy friend of mine the story that certain high ranking naval officers were offended that a marine aircraft would carry the label of "CV" which is reserved for naval aircraft carriers, and fought adamantly to make sure it did not carry that identifier. So the marines decided , official DOD identifiers be damned, and would call this beast the MV-22 for marine vertical lift leaving the USAF to call their special operations aircraft CV-22 instead of the identifier of MV-22 to avoid confusion. Anyway that's my story and I am sticking to it ;-) :monkeydance:

• 2 months later...

I mentioned this in another post awhile back, but the Department of the Navy did not like the idea of a USMC aircraft with the "CV" title which is designation for their carriers. So the Marines decided to call their new aircraft "MV" marine vertical lift -22. Well this left AFSOC with title of "CV"... I know , I know , it is contrary to the way DOD labels airframes, but someone threw tradition and common sense out the window.