DSCN1085.jpg

DSCN1086-1.jpg

DSCN1087-1.jpg

look a bit like this

b-17-shamrock-special-1.jpg

b17_shamrock_special-1.jpg

aircraft_b-17f_the_shamrock_special.jpg

I ordered the decals from Kitworld but I have two questions about this one

I read somewhere that all B17F plane were bare metal on the inside, is that a fact? The nose is different than the one that is delivered in the kit, there are machine guns sticking out of the centre on my plane. Is there a substitude for this? All the other bits and pieces I intend too scratch.

Cheers Rick

Hi Rick and welcome! Here is what I have found for the interior of a B-17F: the waist back to the tail was unpainted. The radio compartment was lined with insulation which in turn was covered with an olive fabric (I used to use Fench Khaki from Polly Scale, but I think this is no longer available. The Model Master Faded OD is close). This same treatment applied to the cockpit and the nose. Metal components in the cockpit such as the seats, window frames, center stand, rudder pedals, intercooler stand, pilot's switch panel, control columns, hydraulic tank and reservoir, were all painted Dull Dark Green or Bronze green. Model Master Euro Green is close to DDG. The floor in the bombardiers section of the nose was bare wood, while the navigators section was bare metal. In the cockpit, the section of flooring under the pilots feet (the raised section if you will) was also bare metal. The floor section around the top turret area, as well as the floor of the radio compartment and the floor sections in the waist were made of plywood, but this was covered with a rubber matting, presumedly for anti-skid purposes. In scale, you could paint them a dark gray. For some reason the seat in the radio compartment appears to have been left unpainted, while the seats in the nose were removed completly (this is just for the F). The bomb bay was painted Neutral Gray on at least early B-17F's but I don't know when that was discontinued. When you go the G, the fabric and insulation was eliminated from the nose and radio compartments. There is some evidence that some G's got some paint internally, but it does not appear to be universal. HTH, Karl

Oh and for the nose, Koster has a set of clear pieces available that would correct that. There is a thread about that on this site. http://s362974870.onlinehome.us/forums/air/index.php?showtopic=225386

Edited by 100th BG

Forgot to ask, what's up with the busted up G model? You can use most of the interior from that old kit to add detail to the F kit, give it a radio room.

The chopped up G is for parts for this build. First I must make the ribs in the rear section of the plane, after I cleaned out trhe working space which looks a bit like a crashsite right now....

Rick.

Using the kitworlds decals and some other stuff also.Which is

Koster conversion set

Verlinden upgrade set

True detail wheels

Quickboost engines and gun barrels

Eduard seat belts

So far the out of box thing. <_<

Question, I cannot find a picture of the nose section which answers the following question, one or two .50 cal out of the nose. Anybody knows this?

Working on the waist gunners section now, not really much too show for right now.

DSCN1094.jpg

DSCN1095.jpg

Rick.

look a bit like this

b-17-shamrock-special-1.jpg

b17_shamrock_special-1.jpg

Hmmm must have had some nose damage between the 10th and 16th mission. As the pretty lady on the nose is no longer there. Or a crew member change for the bombardier who wanted something different on the nose? Looks like there's someone's name there in the second picture.

I agree with the single 50 though from those shots. The second shot you can see the rigging for it but it has been removed when that photo was taken.

The pic you have in the first post shows on e .50 in the nose, and it appears to be the round hole cut into the nose piece mod.

Which koster conversion do you have?

I have the Koster B-17F nose job. I read about it here on the forum and it was highly recommended. It will be the first time for me too do a conversion like this but the parts look great so I will figure it out.

Rick.

Hmmm must have had some nose damage between the 10th and 16th mission. As the pretty lady on the nose is no longer there. Or a crew member change for the bombardier who wanted something different on the nose? Looks like there's someone's name there in the second picture.

I agree with the single 50 though from those shots. The second shot you can see the rigging for it but it has been removed when that photo was taken.

I'll go with you on the single gun. It lookes like the lady on the nose has been painted over, think I see a slight different in colour there. Interesting though..

Rick.

Forgotten all about the armoured plates for the gunners, so ripped out the mount of the .50 cal. and put in the armoured plates, then started over with the mounts for the guns. Looks better now, sorry about the pics could not get them better I am afraid.

DSCN1112.jpg

DSCN1113.jpg

DSCN1114.jpg

And the AM section

DSCN1111.jpg

Rick.

It is the Verlinden B-17G upgrade box just like bigasshammm said. Looks nice and although it is ment for the G I can use a lot of it for the F.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everybody,

Progress is slow but I am enjoying myself. Added the steering cables, an oxygen regulator and the oxygen line and some more little stuff. Will not see much of it but at least I know it is there. Most info on this I get out of the B17 Flying Fortress detail and scale part one, a must have in my honest and humble opinion.

DSCN1120.jpg

Not so much to see on the other side

DSCN1119.jpg

Well it ain't December yet.

Rick.

I have the Verlinden set too. The superchargers are great (and I wish I could buy them seperately) but much of the rest is hypothetical. The machine gun barrels are clearly not .50s. And the "photo etch" is done with a sheet of copper that's almost as thick as a penny.

Ken

There are a few more things though with the Verlinden set that I really do appreciate past the superb superchargers.

First, the resin MLG struts can be done up without weight any weight on the wheels (which, for me, as she'll be jacked up, is a great help). Further, the resin tail wheel and strut, really are the only good answer to the molded parts from Monogram (read: unless you want to scratch build).

Although the barrels are strange, with a little work on the business end, they do lend themselves very well. As well, the bodies themselves are quite accurate and are comparable with the Aires bodies.

You get 3 different sizes of portable O2 bottles

The resin seats are superb for the Navigator & Bombardier

Although the metal copper sheet is a bit thick, it does lend itself well in a few areas where the traditional PE is too thin - such as the plate under the Norden bomb sight (Which in itself is very nice), if you're using the squadron vac formed cockpit windows, the frame is superb for it (as the squadron details are fairly soft), and that's pretty much where I would say the Verlinden set is above the other sets.

Is it worth while to purchase this one? For what I need, yes, though I've given most of the set away for the parts I wont be using. Does the nose entry hatch provide a suitable repalcement? If you can't get the Paragon hatch, sure, but the verlinden hatch isn't the most accurate representations...

Just my two cents.

Cheers,

Mark.

Ready with building the waist and rear gunners position. After painting it will look good enough I think. Added a few details on the ammo boxes and a knob on the oxygen regulator. Should be fine.

DSCN1126.jpg

DSCN1125.jpg

DSCN1122.jpg

The next object will be the radio operator's compartment. Got the stuff out of the Monogram kit, should be a nice base too start with.

DSCN1127.jpg

Hope you like it so far.

Rick.

Looking really good! Coming along very nicely! Quick question for you, what are you using for the cables? I've got thin gauge wire I use from the spool inside an old electric motor, but its a PITA to use and straighten out. Cheers,

Mark.

Hi Rick, what size are the strips you are using for the ribs, excellent build so far, Thanks, Rob.

Hi Rob,

For the vertical ribs I use .030 x .030" or 0.75 x 0.75 mm, for the horizontal ribs I use .015 x .030 or 0.4 x 0.75 mm

Rick.

Looking really good! Coming along very nicely! Quick question for you, what are you using for the cables? I've got thin gauge wire I use from the spool inside an old electric motor, but its a PITA to use and straighten out. Cheers,

Mark.

Hi Mark, thanks, I use copper wire 0.2mm. It is the inside of electrical cable 6^2 VDS, at least that is the Dutch way of telling it. It looks like this.

DSCN1128.jpg

Well anyway, electicians throw little pieces away because it is useless to them, for me it is great stuff to work with.

Rick