It is kind of my own mix, no secret. I started with the front section of the plane with a mix OD90%, Yellow 10%, after that I added more and more yellow, the section behind the radioroom could be 50-50 or even 60% yellow and 40% OD, I just tossed yellow in the cup untill it looked right in my eyes. I am sorry that I did not wrote the mixture down so I cannot really give you a good answer I am afraid. I am glad you like my effort!

Rick.

Ah, I've heard of adding yellow to the OD to lighten it, dont think I've seen it done though. Looks pretty damn good. Believe it or not I've also heard of adding purple to to OD, it looked suprisingly good when done, especially when posted by a pic of the real thing. With all the various paint manufacturers during the war, there was a few differant mixtures done. So some forts got a purple hue to them as the paint would fade and weather.

And yeah, I'm loving your effort! Me on the other hand, I've got my 4 to concentrate on and finish, I need to stop lining up new ones! Just got another B-17 project lined up, got decals heading my way as of today.

First of all, everybody here a merry X-Mas!

Been buzzy putting the decals on. Offcourse the first one went horribly wrong and I do not have a replacement, so that sucks. But I am thinking of a way too mask this error, the rest of the decals are looking quite good so far.

shamrockspecialpaint050-1.jpg

shamrockspecialpaint051-1.jpg

shamrockspecialpaint049-1.jpg

The damage on the Stars and Bars is clearly visible.

I know that this plane received damage from a FW 190 on January 30, 1944, T/Sgt Bob Gerstemeier lost his leg on this flight. When ground crews repaired damaged surfaces did they simply places an aluminium sheet over the damege and rivitted this sheet to the plane and what size could a piece of that be without weakening the structure of the plane? I hope somebody knows this, I think I could mask this error by placing some pieces of card over the damaged area's of the decal and paint them afterwards.

Rick.

They would replace it wih whatever was available. Usually they would probably source the exact same panel from a hangar queen. Idk how often they added fresh sheets to planes but I'm sure they had to at some point. If it was off another aircraft then it'd be already painted or nmf most likely. If it was new they'd probably throw a fresh cote on there so it would stick out. The piece would be however big they needed and wouldn't be a worry structurally because it's only skin. The ribbing holds all the structure.

This is looking amazing btw.

BAH thanks! I went for the fieldjob. It needs some more paint but I am happy with it so far.

shamrockspecialpaint053.jpg

shamrockspecialpaint052.jpg

Did not forget the underside.

shamrockspecialpaint054.jpg

All the decals are on, I used both Kitsworld and Zotz decals. She has got her identity now!

shamrockspecialpaint055.jpg

shamrockspecialpaint056.jpg

shamrockspecialpaint057.jpg

Almost ready for weathering.

Rick.

Thanks guys!

Made a start with the weathering. Added a wash, fooled around with oil paint and Tamiya Smoke. After that a dull coat, took me a full jar! Hope you like it so far.

shamrockspecialpaint059.jpg

shamrockspecialpaint061.jpg

shamrockspecialpaint062.jpg

shamrockspecialpaint063.jpg

shamrockspecialpaint060.jpg

shamrockspecialpaint064.jpg

shamrockspecialpaint069.jpg

shamrockspecialpaint067.jpg

shamrockspecialpaint066.jpg

shamrockspecialpaint068.jpg

Rick.

She is ready now, tomorrow I will take some daylight pictures and put them in the museum. I want to thank everybody for the input and encouragement, without this I probably would not have build this one.

Hope you like it.

PC290054-1.jpg

PC290056-1.jpg

PC290059-1.jpg

PC290062-1.jpg

PC290063-1.jpg

PC300069.jpg

PC300066.jpg

PC300067-1.jpg

PC300070-1.jpg

PC300071-1.jpg

Rick

Although I finished her I was not happy with the nose, and the more I looked at it the more it irritated me so I gave her a full nose job, including a new frame for the .50 cal. Looks better now.

P1030001.jpg

nosejob001.jpg

nosejob002.jpg

nosejob003.jpg

nosejob004.jpg

nosejob005.jpg

nosejob006.jpg

nosejob007.jpg

nosejob008.jpg

Rick.