Revell PV-1 Ventura

dumb question of the day, so please don't stake me out on an ant hill!

* did the Canadian Government have any specs on their aircraft that was different than say a Ventura flying out of the South Pacific?

gary

I am hearing the prop they put on the kit is not correct for a Ventura in the South Pacific. Some have even said they were not standard props for Ventura's. All I know is the prop on the kit represents what was on the Edmonton Ventura when it crashed. So it is not modeled after a restored aircraft with the wrong props, it was modeled after the props that the actual aircraft that they copied has and had.

Also of note is Revell kept there word with an RCAF release or at least RCAF markings. One of the options on the decal sheet for this first release is a RCAF version.

here my thoughts on the kit without any test fitting.

The kit is very nice all the way around. I have seen two different gun packs used in photos, and they do supply one (the more common one), but only one set of decales to use it. The controll surfaces are deeply engraved, and it looks to be easy to do controll surfaces in a dropped position. I failed to look at the landing gear, so I can't answer that issue. There are no photos that I've been able to find that show detailed landing gear wells, so I hope they got it right! Bomb bay is not right according to photos that I have seen, but I think that Oz Molds does one that might work. Cockpit looks OK, and is a good start for detailing. Engraving is very nice and yet restrained. Clear parts look very nicely done in the bag. I like the way they did the "stinger" in the lower rear of the frame. Was dissappointed in the decale selection as well, but still no big deal.

Another great kit from Revell that would cost a hundred dollars from Tamygawa.

gary

Key.

I don't mind sprucing up wheel wells or scratching some other corrections on a large kit that I paid less than $30 for.

I completely understand that, but finding detailed photographs of the wheel wells is near impossible. The bomb bay photos are out there. Going to try to get over to Dayton Ohio to photograph the one they have on display next month. There's also a PV2 parked about twenty minutes away from me, but so far have not been able to get close to it.(I suspect the landing gear and wheel wells are similar)

I will probably hunt up a couple sets of after market engines, and gun barrels. Also figure that a set of white metal landing gear legs will be out very soon. Now lets hope that Revell announces a glass nosed bomber in Febuary followed by a Hudson!!

gary

So far I've found Zotz and Owl to make decals for this aircraft. Oh, and this kit is made in Korea. Should have her done by the end of next week:) I've never really used Tamiya or Lifecolor paint so this bad boy is going to be my test bed.

IMG_0184.jpg

IMG_0178.jpg

IMG_0180.jpg

IMG_0179.jpg

IMG_0175.jpg

I don't know if you noticed it or not, but Revell left out the Disney (I think it was Disney Studios anyway) cartoon characters on the decale sheet, they were so often painted on the planes prior to shipping. That would have been a real nice touch, and was a common sight on them. I imagine this kit caused a Malox moment in Japan

gary

Kit decals ain't bad and they had a piece of wax-ish paper protecting them. If I were Revell, I'd make the PV-2 a Pro-Modeller kit and add a few things like crew, photo etch, resin wheels, and call it day. I'm liking what I've been seeing lately out of RoG and Revell. Seems like they learned their lesson from the F-18E/F.

well now that Revell has shown us just what they can do, and the future is looking very bright for them. I never really was much of a Revell fan but with the exception of ships. But awhile back I picked up a Lancaster, and was really impressed with what I got and for what I paid for it. Then I bought another version of the Lancaster. Next I bought two Hasegawa Lancasters that were being sold in a 50% off sale. Liked them a lot, but even at 50% off they were still higher priced than the Revell kit if memory is right. But still the Hasegawa kit was just slightly better. Then I buy the B17G, and really liked that kit even though they went overboard with the engraved panel lines. I liked it so well that I plan on getting another for an oddball project. Finally I bought the JU88, and was completely floored! It made the Hasegawa kit look like a $12 kit! Everything is better about it. Now I get two Venturas that are really nice, and have tons of potential. I have the Halifax on order, and now I wonder what's the next think to raid my wallet from Revell? I can seriously think of two kits that would be very high on my list of must haves! A really nice state of the art P38 that went together right (1/72), but most of all it's time for a new series of A20's follwed by a new B26 with wing options in 1/72 scale that we all could afford.

Revell!! I hope you are reading these posts!

gary

The kit looks nice. :thumbsup: The wheel wells could use some detailing, and I'm sure it'll benefit from resin engines, but the stock kit engines are good for what they are. It's tough to tell without a close-up picture, but they seem to look a little better than the typical slab-o'-cylinders you often find in kits where the engines aren't that visible once the kit's assembled. If you wanted to you could probably just paint them up, maybe add some ignition wiring, call it a day, and have a very nice pair of engines.

I do like most of Revell's new releases, but I hope the quality control improves with time. I've had hit or miss luck with Revell ever since they started molding them in Korea. Out of the 2 Super Hornets I've purchased, both have had fairly major warping on the main fuselage parts. It's a fixable issue, but one I'd prefer not to deal with.

I don't know if you noticed it or not, but Revell left out the Disney (I think it was Disney Studios anyway) cartoon characters on the decale sheet, they were so often painted on the planes prior to shipping. That would have been a real nice touch, and was a common sight on them. I imagine this kit caused a Malox moment in Japan

gary

I'm going to guess Disney's licensing fees were too expensive.

here my thoughts on the kit without any test fitting.

The kit is very nice all the way around. I have seen two different gun packs used in photos, and they do supply one (the more common one), but only one set of decales to use it. The controll surfaces are deeply engraved, and it looks to be easy to do controll surfaces in a dropped position. I failed to look at the landing gear, so I can't answer that issue. There are no photos that I've been able to find that show detailed landing gear wells, so I hope they got it right! Bomb bay is not right according to photos that I have seen, but I think that Oz Molds does one that might work. Cockpit looks OK, and is a good start for detailing. Engraving is very nice and yet restrained. Clear parts look very nicely done in the bag. I like the way they did the "stinger" in the lower rear of the frame. Was dissappointed in the decale selection as well, but still no big deal.

Another great kit from Revell that would cost a hundred dollars from Tamygawa.

gary

Regarding the bomb bay, I know there are 6 stations in there. The kit has the bombs arranged 4 and 2 with a bulkhead between the front 4 and the rear 2 bombs. Is that the correct configuration or should the bombs be 2x2x2 with no bulkhead.

Edited by waylandcool