Revell PV-1 Ventura

I'm not sure if the props were the same as the B-17/24. The reason Venturas used the paddle-blade props was because the aircraft had the same center section as the Hudson, making larger diameter props impossible.

SN

I picked mine up from the hobby store yesterday, and WOW! What a nice kit from Revell! Mine put me back 32$, which is darn cheap for a kit this nice. The interior detail is really great, I'm liking the seats and cockpit instrumentation. Only thing I'm wondering about is the empty rear interior? Would that be something that you'd need to scratch-build, or will you not be able to see anything in there once the fuselage is closed?

The decals look pretty sweet, I'll have to do the Octopus one first, then maybe do a second one to do the RCAF option. Can't wait to get started on this one. Looks like whatever team did the Revell Mosquito was sent away, and it's all "A" Team from Revell from now on, I keep hoping they'll bless us with a Hudson at some point here, and a Harpoon, and an Electra.... I keep dreaming.

Matt

Yeah, I've been looking for exact specs on them to forward on to Revell, just to be sure. Looks like the C-47 paddle props are fairly close in size/spec.

a guy at the LHS told me that the Douglas Dauntless prop looked right to him. He said it was a 10 foot six inch prop. Look for my third kit to be in sometime next month, and I'm going to order in the Ginter book, as it seems to be the best source for data.

Someone else made the post about wishing for a Hudson and a Harpoon and an Electra. I'd forgotten all about the Electra! The Hudson in 1/48th is the single kit that's eluded me for years and years. When I do find one it's priced so high that I'd need a second mortgage! The engines are no big deal as there are resin 2800 engines out there right now. I expect Quickboost or Vector to have something out very soon, and who knows they may solve our prop delima before we even break out the glue. Anyway I'm going to check out the prop on a 1/48th dauntless this weekend (I have two A.M. kits in my stash)

We need to all start pushing Revell for the Hudson!! Plus maybe some more options in the Ventura kit (I'd like to see the other gun pack and maybe the gun nose that I've seen a few photos of)

gary

Came across a little error for the VP-133 (Octopus) bird tonight while working on mine. The little black ball looking thing on decal #14 is actually an extra gun port that some had fitted. For those of you with the Squadron PV-1 in action book, look on pages 24 and 36. Now to decide if I care enough to drill and fabricate a new window & ball joint....

Not sure if a Dauntless prop would be any improvement..I don't think any SBD variant used a paddle-blade prop. The Ventura/Harpoon props were actually kind of unique, with a small diameter and wide-chord blades.

SN

I also have the Koster kit and have three of these on order from my LHS. I have quite a few hours logged in a full size PV-2 harpoon and it is fun to fly. The main difference between the two airframes is, ten extra feet on the Harpoon wing and a broader vertical tail section.. Many sections on the airframes are interchangeable. My LHS has not yet gotten them in. The price from them is $23. Not bad for a kit that big. Trumpeter can take their kits and S#%%$ T&%^ where the eastern sun sets for the prices they charge for their kits. Come on Great wall models P-61 $95? give me a brake. The kits are the same size.

I want to build a couple USMC night fighters. There are some nice decals available for those. I will have to do something about mocking up a "painted over glassed nose" on the kit.

I want to build a couple USMC night fighters. There are some nice decals available for those. I will have to do something about mocking up a "painted over glassed nose" on the kit.

The Koster kit has the parts and markings for a USMC nightfighter. Mine is parked on a shelf above my computer along with 2 of my P-61s. BTW, I had no problems with the Koster kit that wasn't self-induced. I plan to get several more Koster PV-1s as well as at least one Revell PV-1. It would be nice to see a Hudson and a PV-2 to go along with the PV-1.

Cheers, Terry

I just sent Bill an email. Let's see if he answers it. My Koster kit got caught in a basement flood and I lost the decals. I will have to order some more from him. "Owl" makes some nice decals for the airplane. It is in their Marine Night Fighter series. I imagine that the Koster kit will most likely be more detailed than the Revell kit. Someone mentioned in a earlier post about rockets on this bird. I do't think the PV-1 had any provisions for them but the PV-2 carried them most of the time.

The Koster kit has the parts and markings for a USMC nightfighter. Mine is parked on a shelf above my computer along with 2 of my P-61s. BTW, I had no problems with the Koster kit that wasn't self-induced. I plan to get several more Koster PV-1s as well as at least one Revell PV-1. It would be nice to see a Hudson and a PV-2 to go along with the PV-1.

Cheers, Terry

Why don't you post some pictures of yours.

I think that the C-47 props would probably be the closest (11ft diameter, vis a vis 10.5ft)if they wanted to use an existing part to compensate. Not a 100% fix, but pretty darn close.

Man, I'm itching to start this one. Jack Fellows' painting "By the Dawn's Early Light" depicts two VB-139 Venturas that were on the 25 March 44 mission that #28 crashed on. I'm hoping to get a print of it to display along with the model and Ensign Lambert's stuff.

http://www.jackfellows.com/Aviation/aviation-025.html

Except IIRC the Revell/Monogram C-47 comes with narrow-chord props (at least the one I built 30 years ago did.) Did they include broad-chord props in the recent AC-47 Gunship?

SN

Except IIRC the Revell/Monogram C-47 comes with narrow-chord props (at least the one I built 30 years ago did.) Did they include broad-chord props in the recent AC-47 Gunship?

SN

They did. I've got them sitting right here. Haven't test fit them yet, since the Ventura's still on the sprues, but I'll give it a shot shortly. Model club meeting is tomorrow night and I'll test fit everything after that.

In 48th scale, the difference between an 11' and 10.5' prop is 1/8" diameter. I can live with that, if it doesn't interfere with the fuselage.

I will also say, one of the things I REALLY like about this kit is the parts ID table at the beginning of the instructions. It has every part identified by name and number.

Jon

Edited by Cobrahistorian

They did. I've got them sitting right here. Haven't test fit them yet, since the Ventura's still on the sprues, but I'll give it a shot shortly. Model club meeting is tomorrow night and I'll test fit everything after that.

In 48th scale, the difference between an 11' and 10.5' prop is 1/8" diameter. I can live with that, if it doesn't interfere with the fuselage.

I will also say, one of the things I REALLY like about this kit is the parts ID table at the beginning of the instructions. It has every part identified by name and number.

Jon

well I dug thru my stash yesterday afternoon looking one set of props right after another! I don't have a Corsair or a Hellcat kit anymore, so I can't say about them I don't think the Dauntless will work without some rework. I don't have the C47 kit, but it's always been on my want list (with a D-Day stick boarding).

gary

I know our PV-2 has Massively wide props. Much wider than the DC-3 sitting on the same line. That is the diference between 1.2K HP engines and 2K HP engines. The DC-3 props would be all wrong. You might be able to try F7F props.

I know our PV-2 has Massively wide props. Much wider than the DC-3 sitting on the same line. That is the diference between 1.2K HP engines and 2K HP engines. The DC-3 props would be all wrong. You might be able to try F7F props.

eBay

Obscureco

They are 13' props, just cut them down like they were in real life. All HS props started with the same steel hollow blanks and were cut to size.

Edited by Otto

I believe the kit has been out for less than two weeks. Some of the guys here are very, VERY good, but they're not Super Men. :jaw-dropping:

Edited by Otto

I believe the kit has been out for less than two weeks. Some of the guys here are very, VERY good, but they're not Supper Men.

I'm a supper man. And a lunch man, and a breakfast man, and a snack man too! :)