Revell PV-1 Ventura

The PV bombays were re-configurable. The only fixed bomb bay was the Army b-34 and B-37 versions. The Navy wanted to be able to carry everything from Bombs, Depth charges, Torpedos, Dumb Hogs, Flair dispensers, and extra fuel in the bomb bay. The 5" rockets were a retrofit done to PV-1s after the war when they could go to rework. Otherwise only the PV-2 had the OE factory 5-inchers. There MIGHT HAVE been some field mods done but that would be about it.

Some more photos of the PV-2 pictured above (not that they'll be especially useful for a PV-1 discussion, but maybe they'll provide inspiration or come in handy for someone):

PV2A.jpg

PV2Ground.jpg

IMG019.jpg

Note the frameless turret:

IMG007.jpg

IMG006.jpg

IMG005.jpg

View looking up into the turret:

IMG004.jpg

IMG003.jpg

IMG002.jpg

Edited by DonSS3

How faithful is that restoration, out of curiosity? I noted the gap in the Revell kit between the instrument panel and the coaming and wasn't sure if it was open and I should add some instrument bodies on the back or if the windscreen would cover that. That photo doesn't quite match what's in my head righ tnow (and I'm away from the kit) but it would appear that some back-side detailing might be in order.

Al in all it is done as it was OE. The paint and finishing materials obviously are not. we do have some extra gear in the cockpit, some extra switches but otherwise it is right on the money.

Don't forget, the PV-2 had a more blunt, wrap-around windshield vs the straight panels of the PV-1, which came to a point. I'm not sure if the Ventura had a combing between the panel and the windscreen.

Well, lookie here! While I was trolling the interwebz for cockpit pics I stumbled on this site..should answer all the questions about wheel wells! Ventura Walkarounds

SN

Hey guys! I know someone had asked who was building one of these already, and I sure am! As soon as I picked mine up from the hobby store last week, I started right in on it! The only thing I've added from OOB is to do some ribbing inside of the mid-fuselage, and the lift raft. There are a few windows in the middle, so I felt that I had to add some stuff in there. So it was just a bunch of styrene strips glued in, and the life raft added in from lead foil. There are so many extra pieces in the box, you can really tell there will be other versions coming, namely the Harpoon and Hudson, since there are two more seats added, and the nose is completely separate.

Here's my progress so far, sorry there are no interior photos, I forgot to take them. But the fit is pretty much perfect, just a little bit of Mr-Surfacer at the tail, and at the separate nose piece to make it look more like a panel line.

PV-1Ventura001.jpg

PV-1Ventura002.jpg

PV-1Ventura003.jpg

PV-1Ventura004.jpg

PV-1Ventura005.jpg

PV-1Ventura006.jpg

PV-1Ventura007.jpg

PV-1Ventura008.jpg

I'll be sure to post some more as I go along guys. I hope you like it.

Matt :banana:

Except IIRC the Revell/Monogram C-47 comes with narrow-chord props (at least the one I built 30 years ago did.) Did they include broad-chord props in the recent AC-47 Gunship?

SN

Yes, and that's the big problem in the thought of stealing props from the AC-47 kit. The new broad chord props were not only correct for the AC-47, but were also correct for most WW2 C-47s. You would be robbing Peter to pay Paul by stealing props from the AC-47 kit.

Some aftermarket company just needs to come out with the correct props. Either wait for them, or if building right now, I wouldn't use glue to fix the kit props so you can swap them out later when corrected ones come out.

Yes as I linked to in post #121 in this thread.

I've got a lot going on in my life and can't spend a lot of time keeping track of every post... personal failing I know and not your problem. There were also posts after that one that added questions to the notion of "just shorten it." From my standpoint, does it change the taper of the blades or were they just cut down and rounded off at the factory with the exact same taper and bevel at the tip? I unfortunately haven't had time this week to sit down and look at that... once again, my personal problem, but work takes precedence over hobbies at this point in my life.

I've got a lot going on in my life and can't spend a lot of time keeping track of every post... personal failing I know and not your problem. There were also posts after that one that added questions to the notion of "just shorten it." From my standpoint, does it change the taper of the blades or were they just cut down and rounded off at the factory with the exact same taper and bevel at the tip? I unfortunately haven't had time this week to sit down and look at that... once again, my personal problem, but work takes precedence over hobbies at this point in my life.

You will NOT change the taper. just shorten blade and make proper profile and shape on tip on tip. These props had almost no taper to begin with. The large taper is a misconception on many props. many of these hi-HP props were less or more "evolved" depending on the cruise pitch intended and the RPM at that cruse pitch. This was determined by the HP and torque of a given engine. The "evolution" of the blade is the "twist" in it not all blades had the same twist. This was to keep the blade tips from going supersonic at MAX engine RPM. Props were developed with a specific evolution depending on the cruse RPM torque of an individual engine group. The "taper" is a optical illusion of a blade that is in any positive pitch configuration and is viewed from the front. The greater the evolution of the blade the illusion of the taper is greater. Many Hamilton Standard props had no taper to the blades at all. Specifically ones that were developed for P&W 2800s and 4360s. Some 4360 props actually got wider as they went toward the blade tip.

Edited by Otto

just to slightly carry the PV1 and all the brothers and sisters a step further; did anybody catch the movie on TCM last night with the Hudson in flight without an upper turret? Just had a plug in it's place. After watching that flick I knew it's time for Revell to give us a Hudson that all of us poor folks can afford! 2012 looks to be a very good year for all us folks that like to play with glue! I imagine that some folks accross the left coast pond are breaking out the Malox by the cases these day. What will follow? I'd like for them to scale up their beautifull JU88 into a very serious JU88 in 1/48th, or do a JU188 in 1/72. I look for Revell to revise the prop issues when the glass nosed bomber hits the shelves (we all know it's comming!)

Now that we all seem to have a solution for the props in hand, does anybody sell an aftermarket set of engines that are better quality and will work? I figure that the True Details folks are already working on the molds for the wheels and tires as I write this, and I expect that in the next six weeks we'll see several new sets of decales offered to give us a serious selection of aircraft to build.

gary

gary

Yes, the Boulton Paul Type C was used on the Hudson, the Ventura and the Halifax. I don't know where you'd get a 1/48 scale one from, though - probably in a few years from Revell?

I think Contrail Vacs. (Sutcliffe) did a 1/48 Hudson many years ago, If you found a kit of that around somewhere. Mine is packed away in the garage to be able to tell. Experts on this subject will know more.

Classic Airframes made three versions and they are available on eBay all the time. There are two on there right now. When they were out they sold for about $50

$(KGrHqV,!lkE65d-BfveBP!hs0Ocpw~~60_12.JPG

Edited by Otto