Revell PV-1 Ventura

Notice they DON'T have them, you have to request them. Compared to $6 from Obscureco, it is a lot. almost three times as much for only a couple extra parts which most people wont notice on the built kit anyway. The props and odd shape cowls are noticeable however.

They HAD them; they're just out of stock, and that's really immaterial to the main thrust of my question anyway. I'm just trying to figure you and out figure out where you fit on my scale of trust. Some people would complain if the props were a buck extra, others would gladly pay double the referenced cost just to save themselves either the time or piece of mind of having to step outside their comfort zone (scratch building versus assembling). Me, I like the PV-1/2 quite a bit, but not enough to fuss about it too much; I'll buy whichever detail/correction set looks good enough and fits my desires (support a good company, not a PITA to acquire). I've worked a bit with Chris and when his set's available I'll probably push my local hobby shop to pick some up so I can support both of them, but if the LHS gets the Vector set first I may pick one up as well, because the price really doesn't bother me that much. More than $20 I'd probably shy away from, but I'm otherwise fine with supporting craftsmen.

Some people I trust the opinion of and don't spend much time fact checking, others I'm more skeptical about. I was just trying to figure out if the GreatModels price was a "crime" to you.

Mike West of Lone Star Models is making props, wheels with proper tread, open cowl gills, and a closed bombay insert. mike is well known for the quality of his work. The wheels can be had with or without wheel covers. The props are individual with a separate hub and include a jig for correct positioning. His prices are reasonable. Hal

Yes, Mike was the first to have the props. They are a good price too I think they are also about $6 from him.

Chris sent me a response about the cowls.

"They go to Roy for casting this week. There's always a little lag - mold set-up, casting, instructions, packaging, updating the website... The master is the very tip of the iceberg!

--Chris"

Notice they DON'T have them, you have to request them.

Great Models have sold all stock for 6 days (and they had large quantity), next week there will be a restock. Linden Hill also has these sets in stock (they yet don't appear on a site, but Guy has already received my parcel), some sets still remains at the Ultracast, and next week SprueBrothers will have them as well. Thus availability isn't a problem at all. By the way, I have made one more set for PV-1 and today it has gone for casting:

IMG_1751.jpg

IMG_1755.jpg

Sergey.

Edited by KSL

Great Models have sold all stock for 6 days (and they had large quantity), next week there will be a restock. Linden Hill also has these sets in stock (they yet don't appear on a site, but Guy has already received my parcel), some sets still remains at the Ultracast, and next week SprueBrothers will have them as well. Thus availability isn't a problem at all. By the way, I have made one more set for PV-1 and today it has gone for casting:

IMG_1751.jpg

IMG_1755.jpg

Sergey.

I love your resin! The first set I bought from you was for the BF109F2, and they were some of the best moldings I've ever seen from anybody. Now you are making the push into the PV1 arena, and I'm so happy to see you on the map. But I have a question or two about the cowls and maybe some others as well.

* will these cowls and the Vector engines be compatable? I'm thinking about using a complete Vector engine.

* will you be doing a package with the corrected props and cowls altogether?

* is there a new and more detailed bomb bay in the works?

gary

* will these cowls and the Vector engines be compatable? I'm thinking about using a complete Vector engine.

Yes, you may use Vector or kit's engines.

* will you be doing a package with the corrected props and cowls altogether?

I don't think so, I've never done such packages before.

* is there a new and more detailed bomb bay in the works?

Right now I have nothing more in the works for Ventura, but I'm playing with an idea to make open flaps (Ventura with open flaps looks just terrific), wheel wells and bomb bay.

Sergey.

Yes, you may use Vector or kit's engines.

I don't think so, I've never done such packages before.

Right now I have nothing more in the works for Ventura, but I'm playing with an idea to make open flaps (Ventura with open flaps looks just terrific), wheel wells and bomb bay.

Sergey.

The flaps and bomb bay would really be a nice addition.

gary

I'm so excited that this kit came out. I like the Howard executive conversions and am going to build a couple as the Howard Super Ventura and Howard 500. Clipped F4U-4 props are what was used on them, I'll have to make some spinners and install a four foot plug in the fuselage but it'll be great to present these to my Dad, he flew the one below.

Chris...

Super%20Ventura%20with%20Dad.jpg

Edited by stuntflyr
  • 3 weeks later...

Can someone identify the unit in the Academy/Minicraft kit # 1678 of the Lockheed PV-1 Ventura gunship which features the famous “Octopus†scheme?

The instruction sheet has a section with markings but, as Academy/Minicraft often did in that era, they fail to identify the unit, location, or timeframe depicted by those markings.

Both VPB-150 and VPB-133 featured the “Octopus†on their aircraft. The Osprey book infers VPB-150 originated the design and eventually transferred six of these aircraft to VPB-133 when the latter unit relieved VPB-150 on Tinian in late 1944. There has been a tendency to identify the Academy/Minicraft kit as a VPB-133 aircraft through association with Revell’s 1/48 rendering which also features the “Octopus†and identifies the larger version as a VPB-133 asset. However, the Academy/Minicraft version differs from the Revell in that it has six tentacles vs Revell’s eight.

So does the Academy/Minicraft kit represent a VPB-150 or VPB-133 aircraft?[/font]

Can someone identify the unit in the Academy/Minicraft kit # 1678 of the Lockheed PV-1 Ventura gunship which features the famous “Octopus†scheme?

The instruction sheet has a section with markings but, as Academy/Minicraft often did in that era, they fail to identify the unit, location, or timeframe depicted by those markings.

Both VPB-150 and VPB-133 featured the “Octopus†on their aircraft. The Osprey book infers VPB-150 originated the design and eventually transferred six of these aircraft to VPB-133 when the latter unit relieved VPB-150 on Tinian in late 1944. There has been a tendency to identify the Academy/Minicraft kit as a VPB-133 aircraft through association with Revell’s 1/48 rendering which also features the “Octopus†and identifies the larger version as a VPB-133 asset. However, the Academy/Minicraft version differs from the Revell in that it has six tentacles vs Revell’s eight.

So does the Academy/Minicraft kit represent a VPB-150 or VPB-133 aircraft?[/font]

funny you brought this up, as I've kinda wondered why one decale sheet is so much "greener" than the other in the Revell kit. Could they have also used different colors?

gary

I'm so excited that this kit came out. I like the Howard executive conversions and am going to build a couple as the Howard Super Ventura and Howard 500. Clipped F4U-4 props are what was used on them, I'll have to make some spinners and install a four foot plug in the fuselage but it'll be great to present these to my Dad, he flew the one below.

Chris...

Super%20Ventura%20with%20Dad.jpg

I photographed this Howard 500 at the Airbase site at Coventry airport, UK last June.....

Coventry%20025.JPG

It is powered by Douglas DC-6 Pratt & Whitney R2800 engines driving huge 11 ft (3.3 M) 4 bladed cut down DC-7 propellers.

A few more pics of my visit are here.

Ken

last night I went thru a whole stack of old magazines looking for a very beat up copy of Air Classics #175 that featured the Lysander. I came upon a Wings issue that featured the Hudson, and read it last night. Now I think it's time for Revell to give is a Hudson!

I read in there that there were some Hudsons built with a smaller cowl (diameter), and saw at least one photo of one using a prop that looks very similar to the one in the Revell kit!

gary

last night I went thru a whole stack of old magazines looking for a very beat up copy of Air Classics #175 that featured the Lysander. I came upon a Wings issue that featured the Hudson, and read it last night. Now I think it's time for Revell to give is a Hudson!

I read in there that there were some Hudsons built with a smaller cowl (diameter), and saw at least one photo of one using a prop that looks very similar to the one in the Revell kit!

gary

The reason you saw the different cowls on the Hudson is because they did not come with P&W2800s they came with either Wright Cyclone R-1820s or P&W Twin Wasp R-1830s both around 1200hp instead of the 2000hp P&W R-2800 which is on the PV-1.

Edited by Otto

The reason you saw the different cowls on the Hudson is because they did not come with P&W2800s they came with either Wright Cyclone R-1820s or P&W Twin Wasp R-1830s both around 1200hp instead of the 2000hp P&W R-2800 which is on the PV-1.

that is correct, but there was at least one mark that had an even smaller cowl that was a little longer yet. Might have been the one that they only made 20 of.

gary

that is correct, but there was at least one mark that had an even smaller cowl that was a little longer yet. Might have been the one that they only made 20 of.

gary

There was the early Lockheed model-14 Super Electra which used the P&W Hornet engine which was a R-1690

http://www.aviastar.org/air/usa/lok_superelectra.php

Pratt_%26_Whitney_R-1690_Hornet_jaypee.jpg

Edited by Otto