Revell PV-1 Ventura

Hi Sean,

Revell used the ex-RCAF Ventura at the Alberta Aviation Museum in Edmonton to create this kit. A few of us knew over a year ago that this kit was on it's way. I thought this may of been of interest to you. I sort of expect an RCAF version to be released.

dumb question of the day, so please don't stake me out on an ant hill!

* did the Canadian Government have any specs on their aircraft that was different than say a Ventura flying out of the South Pacific?

gary

If you want to get yourself in the right mindset to build this kit, go get "The Last Flight of Bomber 31" by Ralph Wetterhahn. It's a fantastic book about the airwar in the Aleutian Islands and goes into great detail on USN Venturas. A nice read on a a very neglected subject.

dumb question of the day, so please don't stake me out on an ant hill!

* did the Canadian Government have any specs on their aircraft that was different than say a Ventura flying out of the South Pacific?

gary

I do not know for sure..but I would say very little. Most of the time the only changes that were made to lend lease aircraft were radios, and sometimes the belts. Almost everything else would have been the same.

Sean

It sure is of interest..though I would prefer the glass nose version. It would make a good adition to my RCAF/RCN/FAA collection :thumbsup:

Note the way the kit is broken down. Separate front end, separate turret ring. Do the math :)

• 1 month later...

Note that the front end of the fuselage is a separate assembly (hint, hint).

Looks like the area around the dorsal turret might leave room for options too. I'm not sure how relevant that is, did the PV-1 have its turret in the same place as the Ventura?

Steve.

The turret location was the same on all Venturas (although it was deleted entirely on some.) The only difference was that the early ones built for the British used the Bulton-Paul turret similar to (or possibly the same as) the Lockheed Hudson.

SN

I don't build 1/48, but the only source I know for the Bulton Paul turret would be the Classic Airframes Hudson, or maybe the Fonderie Miniature Halifax (I'm not sure if the latter comes with that turret though.)

SN

I don't build 1/48, but the only source I know for the Bulton Paul turret would be the Classic Airframes Hudson, or maybe the Fonderie Miniature Halifax (I'm not sure if the latter comes with that turret though.)

SN

Bill Koster sells his PV-1 kit's vacuformed glass parts separately, and I'm pretty sure it has the Boulton Paul turret included...

Corey

Bill Koster sells his PV-1 kit's vacuformed glass parts separately, and I'm pretty sure it has the Boulton Paul turret included...

Corey

I just finished a Koster PV-1 and it does include the BP turret. BTW, Koster's PV-1 is a very nice kit. I had no problems with it that were not self-induced. In fact, I plan to get several more of them.(and at least one Revell)

Cheers, Terry

The turret location was the same on all Venturas (although it was deleted entirely on some.) The only difference was that the early ones built for the British used the Bulton-Paul turret similar to (or possibly the same as) the Lockheed Hudson.

SN

I recall reading somewhere that there was a shortage of turrets usd on the Hudsons at onetime, and a few were delivered with U.S. turrets similar to what was used on the B25 and B17. Think there are some photos of them out there as well.

gary

• 3 months later...

just got the phone call a few minutes ago that my Revell Venturas are in!!!

gary

Woo hoo! Squadron's got em up and available. Nothing on SprueBrothers yet.

Can't wait for this one. I'll be building mine as #28, BuNo 33343 from VB-139 that was lost in March 1944.

I recall reading somewhere that there was a shortage of turrets usd on the Hudsons at onetime, and a few were delivered with U.S. turrets similar to what was used on the B25 and B17. Think there are some photos of them out there as well.

gary

I've seen at least one photo (I think it was actually on the cover of the old "Profile") of a Hudson in US markings with a Martin 250CE turret, same as the one used on the B-24 and B-26 Marauder. If it was being used to train U.S. crews, that would make sense.

SN