Revell PV-1 Ventura

Yeah, looks like the props are incorrect. Oh well... I just happen to have a spare set of paddle blade props sitting here...

whatkind were they? I was sorta thinking about Quickboost engines and kinda figure that somebody will have aftermarket props out before I even unbag one of the kits! Photos I've seen of the bomb bay looked different that what I saw in the kit, but I also figure that that'll be taken care of soon enough.

gary

Engines don't look all that bad. P&W R2800s..Hmmmmm, 18 cylinders each, that's 36 Cylinders, 2 plug wires each, that's 64 wires, and holes to be drilled to match. Some time involved there to be sure. That fooloish octopus turns me off, but I do have to acquire one of these beauties. I'll need to find a Blue Gray over Light Gray scheme with plain star in circle markings, my favorite USN WWII scheme (octopi-phooey!) Hal Sr

Yes sir, and word is Revell is doing a kit in /48 scale that's never been done before for its next release! I'd take some pictures, but I just laid done a couple coats of paint on it. Trying to get an OOB build done by the end of next week! One thing is for sure, I can't find jack crap as far as pictures of wheels wells, interior shots, bomb bays, etc.

Edited by fulcrum1

Yes sir, and word is Revell is doing a kit in /48 scale that's never been done before for its next release! I'd take some pictures, but I just laid done a couple coats of paint on it. Trying to get an OOB build done by the end of next week! One thing is for sure, I can't find jack crap as far as pictures of wheels wells, interior shots, bomb bays, etc.

I had some photos of the main wheel wells as well as the bomb bay, but lost them in a PC melt down. I going over to Dayton next month, and will try to shoot a few photos. If they come out well I'll be glad to share them with all of you.

gary

I going over to Dayton next month, and will try to shoot a few photos.

Unless you can get some sort of special super-secret clearance, the USAF Museum Ventura (a B-34) is currently off limits for pictures, as it's sitting outside the restoration hangar where photography is verboten. The outer wings, flaps, and engines are inside. I took these pics a couple months ago..but I'm not sure how useful they are.

IMG_4038.jpg

IMG_4036.jpg

IMG_4027.jpg

IMG_4026.jpg

The museum does have a C-60 Lodestar on display, but the wings are idenitcal to the Hudson, and ufortunately I don't think the wheel wells have anything in common with the Ventura.

SN

Edited by Steve N

Unless you can get some sort of special super-secret clearance, the USAF Museum Ventura (a B-34) is currently off limits for pictures, as it's sitting outside the restoration hangar where photography is verboten. The outer wings, flaps, and engines are inside. I took these pics a couple months ago..but I'm not sure how useful they are.

IMG_4038.jpg

IMG_4036.jpg

IMG_4027.jpg

IMG_4026.jpg

The museum does have a C-60 Lodestar on display, but the wings are idenitcal to the Hudson, and ufortunately I don't think the wheel wells have anything in common with the Ventura.

SN

it was indoors last time I was over there, and on display. There's also a Harpoon over at Mt. Comfort near Indy.

gary

When were you there last? I took those pics in October. As far as I know, the USAF Museum never had a Ventura until about a year ago, when they repossessed the B-34 that was on outdoor display at a museum in Pueblo, Colorado. The plane is relatively complete, but very weather-beaten. When I was there in October, the fuselage, center section, and tail assembly were sitting outside the restoration hangar and the parts I photographed were inside. It had never been assembled or displayed since arriving in Dayton. I had assumed it was a "back burner" project..if they're actually working on it that's great news.

"Hot Stuff," the PV-2 Harpoon based at Mount Comfort is a beautiful restoration. While I'm no expert, I would think the wheel wells and bomb bay would be similar to the Ventura (although the Harpoon had deeper, bulged bomb bay doors.)

SN

Edited by Steve N

Kit decals ain't bad and they had a piece of wax-ish paper protecting them. If I were Revell, I'd make the PV-2 a Pro-Modeller kit and add a few things like crew, photo etch, resin wheels, and call it day. I'm liking what I've been seeing lately out of RoG and Revell. Seems like they learned their lesson from the F-18E/F.

As much as it was kind of cool to see Revell dabble in photo-etch and resin at one time, I don't think they will ever do that again. Reason being is resin is still best left as a cottage industry item since it doesn't work great for the production runs needed for a mainstream model kit. More companies are doing photoetch and I suppose Revell could go that route (I think they have on a couple car kits recently), but not every modeler can apply photoetch and it isn't a good idea to lock them into having to use it. Revell of Germany I notice has a photoetch set available for their 1/32 BAe Hawk, but the price is... high. Eduard by comparison is more economical. As such, Revell and Airfix both seem to be targeting what they know best, styrene kit production. Save the resin and photoetch for the aftermarket since Revell knows that the support will be there for it for those that HAVE to use it. At the same time, it is keeping the kit costs down while Hasegawa on the otherhand is charging close to an arm and a leg for some of their single engine 1/48 fighter plane limited reissues with maybe only one or two resin parts.

This Ventura looks like it will be a very fine model for the Revell people and I hope it sells well for them. By offering stuff like this and keeping the prices low, I have hope for the future of the hobby.

"Hot Stuff," the PV-2 Harpoon based at Mount Comfort is a beautiful restoration. While I'm no expert, I would think the wheel wells and bomb bay would be similar to the Ventura (although the Harpoon had deeper, bulged bomb bay doors.)

SN

not usre if they are the same...but here are a few pics I got of the wheel well of Hot Stuff at ToM this past July.

009.jpg

010.jpg

011.jpg

012.jpg

Sean

Looks like the kit includes Hamilton narrow chord props. The pics I'm looking at all show Hamilton paddle-blade props, ala B-17.

Revell used the Alberta Aviation Museums Ventura to design and create this kit. When that aircraft crashed it had narrow chord Hamilton props on it, those are the props that are still with the aircraft. Looking at RCAF aircraft from that time period it looks like they carried those blades. But from what I have read on the net it is not correct for a US Navy Ventura.

The restoration of this aircraft is not complete so Revell was able to copy an unmodified or rebuilt machine, which I think is good.

The reason the RCAF decals are in the kit was a promise made by Revell to the musuem and Ventura staff.

When were you there last? I took those pics in October. As far as I know, the USAF Museum never had a Ventura until about a year ago, when they repossessed the B-34 that was on outdoor display at a museum in Pueblo, Colorado. The plane is relatively complete, but very weather-beaten. When I was there in October, the fuselage, center section, and tail assembly were sitting outside the restoration hangar and the parts I photographed were inside. It had never been assembled or displayed since arriving in Dayton. I had assumed it was a "back burner" project..if they're actually working on it that's great news.

SN

They also had photos of the Ventura in there booklet they sold. If memory is right they had the Ventura parked close to the JU88 with Rumanian markings. As for the Harpoon, I'd love to get close to it with a camera. The guy I used to work for said he knew who owned it, and would ask, but never came thru for me. Do you know who owns it? Actually I'm not even sure it's over there right now as I saw it make a low level pass strait over Greenwood Mall awhile back, and have never seen it in the air since.

For some oddball reason it's hard to find good phtos of Venturas. I had some nice photos awhile back, but lost all of them.

gary

talked to my brother awhile ago, and ask him if he remembers the Ventura. He said he didn't, so maybe I was having a pipe dream! I have came accross one bomb bay photo today. Only bad thing is that it only shows one end of the bomb bay, and then without anything in there.

gary

i know other people have seen it too, but i got a look at this kit for the first time today and i must say it looks very very nice. The propellers may be wrong for an authentic Navy PV, but by the time i'm ready to paint the thing i'm sure an aftermarket solution will have presented itself. It would have been nice to have a set of genuine two-bank R-2800s (like in the Tamiya Corsair), but that would probably have added at least 10 bucks to the purchase price and the cowling openings on a PV are kind of small. All it would really accomplish is make the painting job easier. However, doing the ignition wires on these should be fairly easy. Nice to also see we have the closed weapons bay option, too.

Sign Me Up!!

david

Well, I dropped Revell an email about the kit and suggested adding a sprue with props from the B-17, -24 or C-47 kits. Just got a reply and said that they've forwarded the suggestion on to their product development team. It may have an effect, it may not, but they're certainly aware of it now. I also made sure to let them know that other than this minor glitch, it's an awesome kit.

Jon