Revell PV-1 Ventura

Many times companies will give a few people pre-release kits to build up and review. And phantom could build one with time to spare. :)

This kit was so far behind that I don't think they even had test shots until late December for the Chicago Hobby Show.

Just a quick nit-pick. I'm not sure if the builder thought the fixed leading edge slats were exhaust vents or something, but there shouldn't be any weathering behind them. The only thing that passed through the opentings was air.

SN

Just a quick nit-pick. I'm not sure if the builder thought the fixed leading edge slats were exhaust vents or something, but there shouldn't be any weathering behind them. The only thing that passed through the opentings was air.

SN

It do look a bit ridiculous. Those were there to prevent the ailerons from stalling at high angles of attack and sharp aileron turns, because of the low aspect ratio wing and narrow wing tip section. Here is an example of wing tip stall during a low speed aileron turn and improper boundary layer control. Those holes are there to prevent this.

tip stall

Edited by Otto

The Obscureco props are to replace those toothpicks in the F7F kit. I don't know how accurate they will be but they will be quite a bit more accurate than most other options, and you don't have to cannibalize a kit to get them. The PV-1 props are MUCH wider than any C-47 prop ever used, and that includes the c-117 variant.

The Obscureco props are to replace those toothpicks in the F7F kit. I don't know how accurate they will be but they will be quite a bit more accurate than most other options, and you don't have to cannibalize a kit to get them. The PV-1 props are MUCH wider than any C-47 prop ever used, and that includes the c-117 variant.

Cool deal. I knew there was an issue with the F7F props, just wasn't sure what it was. As far as cannibalizing the props, the AC-47 kit comes with both types, so it isn't much of an issue (I'm building mine as a WWII 27th ATG airplane). Can you get a measurement on the chord of the PV-2 props for us?

Apparently the Ventura, among others used a Hamilton Standard 23E50 prop hub with #6477 blades. http://www.enginehistory.org/Propellers/HamStd/hamstd.shtml

Now, my hunch is, those are the narrow chord blades, since the B-25 and A-26 are listed as having that type as well.

Thanks man!

Jon

Edited by Cobrahistorian

I wont be in Indianapolis until late spring to measure the props. But here is our bird. The mid cord of the blade is pretty close to 13+" with very little taper. I know when I was going to scratch build one I was going to cut down props from a Hasegawa F4U-1D

pv2harpoon-37396-2.jpg

Edited by Otto

I remember I used to think that the props looked kind of silly because the blade looked almost as wide as it was long.

17-d-1280.jpg

Here Is Steve Hiligos and his silly-assed head sticking out the top and that is Martin in the left seat. I am most likely sitting in the port side rear portal with the window out and my elbow sticking out. :crying2::rolleyes:

17-c-1280.jpg

17-e-1280.jpg

AMHF PV-2

Edited by Otto

Ok, getting back to the kit, I've got a question regarding the bomb bay. How are the stations laid out on the real thing, and is the bomb bay layout accurate? The bomb load that aircraft 28V3 (BuNo 33343) was carrying on 25 March 44 was 2 500lb GP bombs, 1 M1 500lb incendiary cluster, 5 M46 photoflash bombs and 20 M41 frags. It's going to take me a bit of scratchbuilding to do all of that, since no one makes M41 frags, but I'm just trying to plan out how I'm going to tackle this.

Jon

I remember I used to think that the props looked kind of silly because the blade looked almost as wide as it was long.

17-d-1280.jpg

Here Is Steve Hiligos and his silly-assed head sticking out the top and that is Martin in the left seat. I am most likely sitting in the port side rear portal with the window out and my elbow sticking out. :crying2::rolleyes:

17-c-1280.jpg

17-e-1280.jpg

AMHF PV-2

is the plane still out at Mt. Comfort? My girl friend and I saw it make a flight heading south towards Evansville a few months back just hours ahead of a storm. Have not been over there in months, and probably was there last when Aluminum Overcast was there. Sure would like to photgraph that bird up close once.

gary

Just called my LHS. He has two of these for me today. $22, not bad, that is over 33% off retail. I am on my way. Eduard, Trumpeter, Great Wall, and the others with their over priced kits can stuff them.

Edited by Otto

Just called my LHS. He has two of these for me today. $22, not bad, that is over 33% off retail. I am on my way. Eduard, Trumpeter, Great Wall, and the others with their over priced kits can stuff them.

I originally order in three kits, and let another guy have one of them instead. They just called me a few minutes ago to let me know they had the third kit in the store for me to pick up! And now I get to use my five dollar off coupon to boot!

gary

Eh, while the Eduard prices are higher, I would consider their kits a higher quality too. The PV-1 kit, while nice and I'm certainly happy with mine, does not compare to even a Eduard Weekend edition. The Revell kit was designed with aftermarket in mind, I bet, but in a different way. Not the "we'll put photo-etch here," way, but the "this area's going to be replaced by the detail freaks anyway so let's just put basic detail in and call it good."

I actually think $22 is too low and how that both Revell and your local hobby shop are making enough to be healthy. It's a great deal even at the MSRP.

I'm more than likely going to pick up a second one as soon as our local Michaels has them.

just opened up the box and noticed that the kit has provisions to be made with the glazed nose in the future. I am just going to buy the Vac clear parts from Koster and do it myself. The Clear vac parts from Koster are only $3.50

Here art the kit props in comparison to Koster PV-1 props. Even his are a bit too narrow but MUCH MUCH better.

DSC02782.jpg

Edited by Otto

Ok, getting back to the kit, I've got a question regarding the bomb bay. How are the stations laid out on the real thing, and is the bomb bay layout accurate? The bomb load that aircraft 28V3 (BuNo 33343) was carrying on 25 March 44 was 2 500lb GP bombs, 1 M1 500lb incendiary cluster, 5 M46 photoflash bombs and 20 M41 frags. It's going to take me a bit of scratchbuilding to do all of that, since no one makes M41 frags, but I'm just trying to plan out how I'm going to tackle this.

Jon

I've read that there were six stations in the bomb bay laid out 2x2x2, not the way Revell laid it out. I can't find pics of the bay to back that up except a couple that had no stations in it.

I did find several pics of PV-1's with rockets including two in Squadron's PV-1 in action, pgs 12 and 37.

Edited by muswp1