Revell PV-1 Ventura

Quote "Yes, the Boulton Paul Type C was used on the Hudson, the Ventura and the Halifax. I don't know where you'd get a 1/48 scale one from, though - probably in a few years from Revell?"

The manner in which this kit is presented, leaves one to believe that a later release may well provide the Boulton Paul turret. The dorsal turret area of the fuselage provides a separate fuselage part, I can see no other reason for this being, than that a different turret area will be provided in a future release. Hal Sr

Edited by Hal Marshman Sr

Yeah, the CA Hudson has been on my wishlist for years, but they're too hard to get a hold of. They cheapest ones end up around 80 to 100, and the highest go for almost 200, if not even more. It's ridiculous, especially considering I've only ever seen two built in the flesh. People are just stocking them in their collections, instead of building them.

But if Revell can do a Ventura for $30, hopefully they make enough to do a Harpoon and Hudson as well in the same price range, because I will pick them up for that kind of money.

Matt

Classic Airframes made three versions and they are available on eBay all the time. There are two on there right now. When they were out they sold for about $50

$(KGrHqV,!lkE65d-BfveBP!hs0Ocpw~~60_12.JPG

the problem with buying the C.A. kits is that you can often buy five or six Revell Venturas for the price of one Hudson. Surely Revell realizes the demand for a good Hudson! If they asked $50 for a Hudson kit and it were the same quality as their Ventura; the kit would be known as the steal of the year! I figure guys are unloading them as fast as they can, cause they have an idea what's in the pipe line

gary

One Hudson's at $103 and the other has a buy it now for $249.00.

when the new Hudson comes out it'll be worth about $35. I heard today the Vector will soon market an engine and prop setup built just for the Ventura. I love their stuff, and will be right there to get mine

gary

I heard today the Vector will soon market an engine and prop setup built just for the Ventura. I love their stuff, and will be right there to get mine

gary

Yep. Bill Koster made his remaining metal props available, Lone Star Models is offering props, and now Vector. It seems like the prop issue is being dealt with very quickly.

Yep. Bill Koster made his remaining metal props available, Lone Star Models is offering props, and now Vector. It seems like the prop issue is being dealt with very quickly.

The one single piece I'm wanting for the Ventura is a new bomb bay. The one in the kit is OK, but seems a little flat and lacking in detail. Also love to see the two different gun noses come out (especially the twin 20mm cannon gun pack). Be nice to see a nice B/P turrett hit the market as well to build a British Ventura. I looked over the one kit I opened up again last night, and the more I look the more I'm impressed. I see Revell scaling it down to 1/72 to sell it right along side their fabulous JU88. Or better yet I see Revell scaling up the JU88 to 1/48th!

gary

Yep. Lone Star Models is offering props, and now Vector. It seems like the prop issue is being dealt with very quickly.

I was on both of the sites and found no props. What Vector charges is a crime. I will wait until Quickboost comes out with a prop. Or as I have said before, cut down a set from Obscureco. After all, that's all that was done to the real ones. You can get beautiful engines for this kit from Verlinden or Quickboost for half the price of the others.

Edited by Otto

I was on both of the sites and found no props. What Vector charges is a crime. I will wait until Quickboost comes out with a prop. Or as I have said before, cut down a set from Obscureco. After all, that's all that was done to the real ones. You can get beautiful engines for this kit from Verlinden or Quickboost for half the price of the others.

I looked and can't find it anywhere on there. The search engine on that site is rather poor. Are these just blades with out hubs? At this stage of the game I still see Obscureco as being the best remedy.

I still want to build a PV-1 from VMFN-531 due to the awesome forward fire power placed into some of those ships. They were originally glass nosed PV-1s destined for the British but were given to the Marines. Some ships were equipped with 8 forward firing .50s in the nose. There were the standard two on top the four in the forward blister with the radar antenna and two under the nose. That is 14oz of lead in one single salvo going in 8 slugs concentrated in almost a pinpoint area. That would be devastating to any aircraft let alone to the typical Japanese paper kite. Very few fighters had that much firepower located in such close proximity to each other. Ground attack yes but not fighters.

Vector thread:

http://www.network54.com/Forum/149674/message/1326043430/One+set+will+include...

LSM thread:

http://www.network54.com/Forum/149674/message/1325911032/Grettings+from+the+Royalty+of+Resin%21+1-48+PV-1+prop

Now for a question NOT related to the props. The kit includes an optional clear nose underside panel instead of the chin gun. Was this panel left clear, or painted over? There is nothing in the nose (except a couple of upper guns) that suggests a bomb aimers position and, although the tip of the nose is a clear part, the instructions say to paint the nose over. TIA.

I have an extra "Osprey Combat Aircraft #34" "PV Ventura/Harpoon Units of WW2" Some how I bought two. If anyone wants one. Lists for $23, I will let it go for $17.50 including shipping in the US. Book is in NEW condition. 30 color profiles plus three views and squadron info.

51JH3TSTGGL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

Edited by Otto

In preparation for building a PV-1 Ventura, I watched a video of VPB 133 taken in late ‘44 on Roi.

Taking an average of the scan of the door, the color appears to be a close match to ANA 613 OD. The inside of the bomb bay doors appear to be the same color.

Note how the NS Sea Blue on the wing has faded.

Dave

17.jpg

18.jpg

In preparation for building a PV-1 Ventura, I watched a video of VPB 133 taken in late ‘44 on Roi.

Taking an average of the scan of the door, the color appears to be a close match to ANA 613 OD. The inside of the bomb bay doors appear to be the same color.

Note how the NS Sea Blue on the wing has faded.

Dave

17.jpg

18.jpg

is it just me, or am I seeing rocket mounting hardware under the wing on "219"? And would love to have a figure of the guy hauling the Colt Commando in the holster! As for the iside of the bomb bay doors, I've seen silver, zinc chromate green, and now O.D.!

gary