New Wolfpack 1/48 Talon

17 hours ago, Scooby said:

Talk about bumping an old thread, I knew an CF-5 pilot well, I remember him telling me a loop in an CF-5 was a five mile radius.

50,000 feet required to perform a loop? Seems a bit off, to me.

Edited by Slartibartfast
4 hours ago, CF104 said:

Hi Niels,

Can WHAT be correct? Specifics of your question would help formulate an answer.

Cheers,

John

5 mile turn radius on an F-5. Like Slartibart said this seems a bit off? 

22 hours ago, Scooby said:

Talk about bumping an old thread, I knew an CF-5 pilot well, I remember him telling me a loop in an CF-5 was a five mile radius.

My neighbor growing up was an ex-CF-5 pilot, perhaps you knew him. He was mugged in Vegas (Red Flag-Nellis) one night and lost hearing in one ear. With the hearing loss he had to switch to Hercs and eventually he lost his flying status when his hearing degraded even more.

Scooby, I don't know who that CF-5 pilot you knew would have been. I may have heard of him, but can't think of who off the bat. I think his assertion of a 5-mile loop radius was a long way from the truth. I think it was closer to a 1-mile (sm) radius. I seem to recall the following numbers:

-Entry 400 KIAS, using afterburners and 4 G, or 500 KIAS without afterburners and 5 G

-Start at 20,000 feet or so

-Peak out at about 30,000 feet (approx), meaning the diameter is about 2 sm.

The F-5A and F-5E were good as agressors. They had relatively tight turning radii (compared to the F-104 and F-4), were small and hard to see (like the MiG 21), and accelerated surprisingly well for the tiny amount of thrust.

ALF

Edited by ALF18
Doh! I meant "compared to f-104 and f-4", not f-5
5 hours ago, Slartibartfast said:

50,000 feet required to perform a loop? Seems a bit off, to me.

Especially since the F-5's ceiling is also ~50,000 ft (sez wikipedia for an F-5E)

5 minutes ago, habu2 said:

Especially since the F-5's ceiling is also ~50,000 ft (sez wikipedia for an F-5E)

Exactly. Even the worst loopers take less than 15,000 feet vertically to perform one. The air above 40,000 feet starts to get quite thin for extreme manoeuvres.

ALF

1 hour ago, ALF18 said:

Scooby, I don't know who that CF-5 pilot you knew would have been. I may have heard of him, but can't think of who off the bat. I think his assertion of a 5-mile loop radius was a long way from the truth. I think it was closer to a 1-mile (sm) radius. I seem to recall the following numbers:

-Entry 400 KIAS, using afterburners and 4 G, or 500 KIAS without afterburners and 5 G

-Start at 20,000 feet or so

-Peak out at about 30,000 feet (approx), meaning the diameter is about 2 sm.

The F-5A and F-5E were good as agressors. They had relatively tight turning radii (compared to the F-104 and F-4), were small and hard to see (like the MiG 21), and accelerated surprisingly well for the tiny amount of thrust.

ALF

I guess it wasn't obvious I meant this as a tongue in cheek post, it was his way of saying the loop took forever. My fault for not writing it better.

22 hours ago, Scooby said:

I guess it wasn't obvious I meant this as a tongue in cheek post, it was his way of saying the loop took forever. My fault for not writing it better.

No sweat, Scooby. I have it on even better authority (not-serious font on) that the CF-104 took two provinces to complete a turn.

ALF

1 hour ago, ALF18 said:

No sweat, Scooby. I have it on even better authority (not-serious font on) that the CF-104 took two provinces to complete a turn.

ALF

Guess it wasn't PEI and Nova Scotia.......

On 03/11/2017 at 7:15 PM, Scooby said:

I thought  it only flew straight. 😎

When flown by a pilot who wanted to stay alive in combat, yes...

On 03/11/2017 at 7:53 PM, Emvar said:

Guess it wasn't PEI and Nova Scotia.......

No. Those are WANNABE provinces. Real ones like Manitoba and Saskatchewan.

ALF