Question about MQ-1 Predator updates

Hi Friends!

Does anyone have any info abt why the new predators seems to have cut-outs on the tail planes? When did this happen?

Also there seems to be a new vertical stabilizer under the mid section of the fuselage, what's with that?

What else do I need to know to update the current 1/72 models out there?

Thanks in advance!

Oliver

Hi Friends!

Does anyone have any info abt why the new predators seems to have cut-outs on the tail planes? When did this happen?

Also there seems to be a new vertical stabilizer under the mid section of the fuselage, what's with that?

What else do I need to know to update the current 1/72 models out there?

Thanks in advance!

Oliver

You should try the 1/48 Bronco MQ-1, very nice kit and has the new updates to make it a B model. I'm not sure about the cut outs you are talking about.

Those "cutouts" are not new; the earliest photos of this new type of stabilizers is from 2007-2008. I don't know what the cutouts exactly are, but they correspond roughly to the propeller disk. Perhaps there was a risk of the stabilizers touching the propeller in some circumstances?

Here ate two images for comparison:

"Cutout" stabs

"Regular" stabs

Thanks Kursad!

I was just in the process of looking for a pic to describe those cut-outs. You got the absolute right pics to describe what i am talking about.

I thought the extra vert stab. under the main wings was only to compensate for the cut-out shaped tail. Your second pic shows that this isnt the case!

I am now in the process of building a 1/72 Platz kit so I would like to update it to this 'B' version.

Oliver

Maybe in some not-so-perfect landings the stabs hit the runway, got bent back and hit the prop disc with the torque leading to an engine defect or at least overhaul. With those cut-outs, there seems to be a certain margin for free space when the stabs get bent. Just my theorie.

Cheers

Thorsten