UPS custum Rip off

Hey guys

i got a package yesterday(Using UPS) for the states containing 1 hasegawa 18(open box) and 1 pro modeler F-4(Sealed). the charming customs charge me 41$ of custom fees !!

What is that about!! ive ordered many kit from member on the trader board and never had any problems with Canadian custom.

Is this like a once in a while we will over charge you? I also cant understand how they get to 41$ as ive just read over on the Canadian gouv site and they say for toys its supposed to be 5% and value declared was 2* 30$

Any one have intel on this ? Im kinda ****** cuz i got a great deal on these 2 kits and the extra 41$ kinda kills me

Cheers

Neo

Edited by Neo

Hey guys

i got a package yesterday(Using UPS) for the states containing 1 hasegawa 18(open box) and 1 pro modeler F-4(Sealed). the charming customs charge me 41$ of custom fees !!

What is that about!! ive ordered many kit from member on the trader board and never had any problems with Canadian custom.

Is this like a once in a while we will over charge you? I also cant understand how they get to 41$ as ive just read over on the Canadian gouv site and they say for toys its supposed to be 5% and value declared was 2* 30$

Any one have intel on this ? Im kinda ****** cuz i got a great deal on these 2 kits and the extra 41$ kinda kills me

Cheers

Neo

The fees are most likely from UPS brokerage fees. UPS charges for processing your package across the border. The fee covers things such as collecting sales tax etc... You can avoid brokerage fees by never using UPS or you can also broker the package yourself. Just call UPS with the tracking number prior to receiving the package and tell them you want to self broker. You will have to do the running around for this though.

Kevin

Edited by KevinS

OK your first and biggest problem is this;snipped from post - "i got a package yesterday(Using UPS) for the states"

UPS = Useless Parcel System since you do not have a broker they gladly let their broker calculate the duty & taxes!!! BUT you always and I mean always get charged by them because that is their broker's job!!! I never use the Useless Parcel System since I do not have a broker on retainer. You should always go USPS since Canada Customs may or may not charge the duty/taxes depending on; I'm not sure but maybe the volume going thru their warehouse or the amount they get may not be worth the paperwork. It's a better gamble than UPS!!

So to be correct you DID NOT get screwed by Canadian Customs you got screwed by the big brown Useless Parcel System!!!

Hope this helps.

Hey guys

Cheers

Neo

Ah yes flyboyf18. I misread Neo's post and thought is was USPS.

Edited by aerofan

Had those kits been shipped to you via USPS, You likely would not have paid ANY FEES. The most you would have paid would be $5.00 brokerage + PST/GST on described value of kits posted by the seller on the shipping manifesto. IMO always ask any US or other international sellers to ship to you via USPS if you can.

Thanks for the intel Flyboy

ill keep that in mind next time ill pay the 10$ extra for USPS (alt ought ive received 2 from ups before without these charges)

Im guessing there taking advantage from the Strike to rip off people :deadhorse1:

cheers

Neo

You got nailed by the UPS fees. I would expect that Fed EX/ DHL etc all have the same type of system in place. Use the USPS and Canada Post when you can.

The same thing happened to me last year.

Sorry, I know it stings.

Edit- Neo_ I had a $90.00 order come in from the USA, and UPS charged me $41.00, and that was last year.

Edited by Av8fan

Thanks for the intel Flyboy

ill keep that in mind next time ill pay the 10$ extra for USPS (alt ought ive received 2 from ups before without these charges)

Im guessing there taking advantage from the Strike to rip off people :deadhorse1:

cheers

Neo

I think if the package is under a certain value they don't charge brokerage. $20 comes to mind. I also think that the more expensive rates include brokerage.

For this very reason, I quit dealing with anyone in canada. A shame really, hate to blacklist all the canadians but all the customs crap is rediculous. Plus shipping times are wayyy to long. I made 2 ebay purchases, one item was in ontario canada, the other in china. I got the one from china 2 weeks before the one from canada.

Just as an aside, NEVER declare the value of a "toy" or "plastic parts" to exceed $20.00. That seems to be the "magic" point for Canada Customs. NEVER been charged taxes or brokerage fees on any amounts less than that!

Alvin5182

For this very reason, I quit dealing with anyone in canada. A shame really, hate to blacklist all the canadians but all the customs crap is rediculous. Plus shipping times are wayyy to long. I made 2 ebay purchases, one item was in ontario canada, the other in china. I got the one from china 2 weeks before the one from canada.

No offense, I think thats unusually harsh and the whole CONUS Only position ticks me off to no end. This is not representative of most people's shipping experience... particularly because most people don't ship with Fedex and UPS.

I've probably bought on order of 100 packages from the US in the past four years, 20 are probably models, the rest books. I've had the customs charge on maybe 5 of those packages. It happens but its not that common. Things are slow as well but most Canadians know that it may take some time. Just reminding them of that usually avoids most problem. However most Canadians (particularly on here) know there are issues and are pretty patient and understanding.

I think blacklisting Canadians is far more ridiculous than any issue with our shipping.

Edited by -Neu-

It's not customs, its brokerage fees attached to parcels through UPS. As I and others said using USPS will alleviate most of this. Parcels almost always under $100 value Will not have any fees attached. Between $100-$200 it's hit and miss and even at that it will be a $5.00 brokerage fee and then the application of PST/GST or HST in provinces which have that. Do not fear shipping to Canada and no if you use USPS that parcel will get to Canada from the USA faster than one from China. I know I've seen it that way for me often over the years.

Obviously with any employer lock out of Canada Post workers it's all on hold for the time being but once it passes I suggest things to return to normal soon after.

Edited by Les / Creative Edge Photo

OK your first and biggest problem is this;snipped from post - "i got a package yesterday(Using UPS) for the states"

UPS = Useless Parcel System since you do not have a broker they gladly let their broker calculate the duty & taxes!!! BUT you always and I mean always get charged by them because that is their broker's job!!! I never use the Useless Parcel System since I do not have a broker on retainer. You should always go USPS since Canada Customs may or may not charge the duty/taxes depending on; I'm not sure but maybe the volume going thru their warehouse or the amount they get may not be worth the paperwork. It's a better gamble than UPS!!

So to be correct you DID NOT get screwed by Canadian Customs you got screwed by the big brown Useless Parcel System!!!

Hope this helps.

That is 100% correct. It can be hit and miss with the postal service (when they are not striking)and Canada Customs, but if you use UPS, FedEx or any other courier service, it's 100% guaranteed that you will be nailed for the taxes plus the broker's fee.

I had a eBay seller from Europe send me my items via FedEx (I did not know he was going to do that). FedEx tried to do the same thing, but I handled the Customs paperwork myself (Canada Customs will help guide you through it and then you keep a copy for future reference if need be). Customs was literally a 1 minute drive away from the FedEx offices, so I went over there and paid about half of what FedEx was going to zing me. That half was only the taxes (PST and GST).

Its hit and miss. But as one person said (US people) Please don't put the value beyond what the kit costs. Customs sees that, thinks the kit really DOES cost $100 and then charges we poor Canadians huge bucks.

You can try to claim it back but the odds of winning or hearing back from customs before your 80th birthday are not so hot.

As for times in delivery involving Canada dead bear post......... :deadhorse1:

Uhhhh, last time I checked at the USPS, they weren't shipping stuff to Canada due to the Postal lockout/strike. Is that still ongoing? As such, that might put a crimp in shipping that way until the problem gets resolved. As such, UPS or FedEx might be the only recourse for the time being.

I'd sooner wait for a strike to be over than have to go through UPS. As my dad calls them: U-get ******-off Service.

I haven't received any packages via UPS, Fedex or DHL in probably 15 years, and in those 15 years I've never had to pay ANY sort of surcharge beyond at most GST/PST.

So for the US sellers: the issue isn't with our customs, it's with the courier services!

I had the same experience.

I did a trade to Canada, It was cheaper for me to send the package UPS,saved $20 over USPS, but the recipient got tagged $21 in brokers fees, I don't recall the value of the package but I'm sure it was under $100 (but I'm sure it was over $25), I went round and round with UPS as they were going to return the package due to the package being refused at the delivery address by a 3rd party (cod due)and this 3rd party authorized the return.....

I also sent the package marked as a Gift, well you need to mark it as an "UNSOLICITED GIFT" for them to acknowledge it as such.

So next time I'll send USPS if the price is right, if not, then no deal.

Curt

There are no custom fees for hobby materials or supplies. If you were charged extra it was a fee by the delivery company. Canada Customs clearly lists hobby supplies and materials on their exemption list (which is available on their website). Go look it up.

Edited by RiderFan

So next time I'll send USPS if the price is right, if not, then no deal.

Curt

Shouldn't shipping costs be up to the buyer?? Most e-bay purchases I have made lately have an estimate to my address so I know ball park what I will pay, I asked one seller about his price and he was able to find a less expensive method.

There are no custom fees for hobby materials or supplies. If you were charged extra it was a fee by the delevery company. Canada Customs clearly lists hobby supplies and materials on their exemption list (which is available on their website). Go look it up.

Ahh the Gov't catch 22, customs regulations!!! Unless there has been a big change in this book in the last 25 years you can fit hobby materials/kits into several different categories!!?? When I was in Greenwood the little old guy at the Customs Office actually spent time (he had lots) going thru this book finding me the best category for what I had bought based on the vague description from the seller!! Again unless it's changed there was a provision as to where the kit was made - US very little duty; abroad much higher duty. Gov't regs usually change along the same pace as most glaciers, especially if it means they get less money!!

Ahh the Gov't catch 22, customs regulations!!! Unless there has been a big change in this book in the last 25 years you can fit hobby materials/kits into several different categories!!?? When I was in Greenwood the little old guy at the Customs Office actually spent time (he had lots) going thru this book finding me the best category for what I had bought based on the vague description from the seller!! Again unless it's changed there was a provision as to where the kit was made - US very little duty; abroad much higher duty. Gov't regs usually change along the same pace as most glaciers, especially if it means they get less money!!

If I recall from reading it, there's no mention of country of origin etc. I've ordered online a lot and never once been charged a customs fee (I have been charged GST on occasion though). Model kits, parts, and supplies are called out pretty clearly as exempt.

I hear these complaints frequently as I have to ship certain products via UPS into Canada because the Postal System prohibits them. Unfortunately this is an issue within Canada, those of us outside its borders have no control at changing it. This is a choice the Canadian government made when negotiating their portion of the NAFTA treaty and their import duty schedule. Start a grass roots movement to demand change as it stifles your and our economies!

If you take the cheapest ground service offered by UPS you indeed have to pay the "fee". If you choose a higher level of service that fee is included. You have to weigh the two to see which is the cheaper OVERALL option.

There are some retailers who refuse to ship anything into Canada for this very reason...customer complaints and the additional customs documentation required for UPS shipments. Canada too is cracking on imports of products which do not meet domestic labeling requirements. Soon if an item doesn't meet those labeling requirements, they will be banned. There are a lot of items which customers in Canada order which are not produced or sold inside Canada that will no longer be available to its residents. Big government protecting you or controlling you?

For the most part, though, I view "will not ship to Canada" as their loss, not mine; there's more than one of the thing I'm after (usually), and if they don't want my money, someone else'll get it.

But either way. The domestic labelling thing is afaiu /only/ applicable to goods imported for resale.

Gerald

The issue is not NAFTA. Read the posts above...THERE IS NO DUTY ON HOBBY SUPPLIES (sorry to yell). For all I know

it may have even been NAFTA that allowed no duty on hobby supplies :)

The OP is blaming Custums (sic) and everybody assumes the charges are due for duty. They are not. The charges are

- a fee to look at the thing (cost-recovery)

- a consumption tax (HST or GST in Alberta) that anybody in Canada would pay if they bought the item here based

on the declared value

If they don't look at the thing we pay ZERO. The additional whammy factor involves the size/weight and the

declared value. If the value is under $50 (think).. it won't even be looked at.

The issue with UPS is their 'fee' is azz-rapage and it has been that way well before the strike.