Howdy folks!

I finally managed to get my build going... I'm getting married within a month and life is very hectic at the moment.

Anyway, this will be my build. My favorite Bf 110D liveries are the shark mouth and the huge wasps. This build will finally allow me to add one of them to my collection.

Eduard's kit is nice, just too many parts. Anyway, it's better than Dragon's Bf 110D in that aspect, which even has more parts!

Bf110D00.jpg

I assembled cockpit parts to paint them all at once. Then, with some doubt I painted them RLM 66 per Eduard's instructions.

Bf110D01.jpg

Now it seems my instincts were right and the cockpit should have been RLM 02, not RLM 66. The funny thing is that the pre-colored PE parts in this kit also are RLM 66. Eduard's Bf 110E kit and the Bf 110C kit has the right color of RLM 02 in their instructions as well as the right colored photo-etched parts. How did Eduard manage to do this, go figure...

I plan to repaint the entire cockpit again today with RLM 02 this time. The particular aircraft I will build was operating in April 1941 and I don't think it could have RLM 66 painted on its cockpit so early in the war. Still, it's strange for Eduard to make such a mistake, especially when the painting instructions for the different decal options are so detailed.

First of all CONGRATS on getting married! :woo::cheers:

Second, glad to see this one getting under way! I have the E kit, so I'll be watching and learning from yours :blink:.

Third, that is weird that they messed up the color on just one variant and not even the last variant, it's one in the middle. Well, consider it preshading I guess huh?

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Blunce! 2 weeks to go, then my happy single days will end (and I hope my happy married days will begin).

Anyway, in between the spaces I could find I tried to make some progress. I had to repaint the pre-colored photo-etch and change the cockpit color to RLM02.

The pilot's fiefdom:

Bf110D02.jpg

...and copilot's area with lots and lots of machine gun ammo boxes. Wouldn't want to be in there if there was a fire.

Bf110D03.jpg

I assembled the cockpit and crammed it into the fuselage. The fuselage joins well to my relief.

Bf110D04.jpg

Then it was time to assemble the machine guns and the gun bay in the nose. Lots of parts here (about half are not in the photo)

Bf110D05.jpg

Everything crammed together, nothing is really visible.

Bf110D06.jpg

Now I'll take care of some fit issues, don't know if it's my fault but the nose area and the part on which the radio operator/gunner's MG sits do not fit properly. Then I'll begin assembling the wings. The rest of the kit is comparatively easy now that the cockpit is done and gone.

Ohhhh, me likey! Looking GREAT!

Be careful, I've heard there is a serious issue with the engine nacelle to wing fit. I haven't built one yet, so I can't be more specific, but you may want to do a search on it to prepare yourself. I don't even know if it's all Eduard -110's or just certain ones, but thought I'd give you a heads up on it.

Ohhhh, me likey! Looking GREAT!

Be careful, I've heard there is a serious issue with the engine nacelle to wing fit. I haven't built one yet, so I can't be more specific, but you may want to do a search on it to prepare yourself. I don't even know if it's all Eduard -110's or just certain ones, but thought I'd give you a heads up on it.

Thanks! So far it's more Eduard's photo-etch rather than my skill :)

I think that issue is valid for all C-D-E kits and I'm prepared for a struggle. We'll see how that turns out. Right now I'm confused about the landing gear parts, the instructions are a little vague on how they should be installed and in order to give the landing gear their characteristic angle it seems I'll have to make several dry-fitting attempts.