My web browser Mozilla Firfox has recently been updated to the latest Firefox5 version, however in doing this it turns out that Google toolbar which contained my spell checker and translater is non compatible and have been disabled.

Anyone any ideas on where I can find suitable alternatives

I suggest you try Google Chrome: Chrome is very fast, it has a very elegant and simple interface and tools like spell checker and translation are built-in, so you don't need the toolbar. It will automatically detect the language of any page you're visiting and will ask you if you want to translate the contents.

You can download it here:

http://www.google.com/chrome/intl/en/make/download.html?&brand=CHMB&utm_campaign=en&utm_source=en-ha-na-us-sk&utm_medium=ha

Edited by KursadA

My web browser Mozilla Firfox has recently been updated to the latest Firefox5 version, however in doing this it turns out that Google toolbar which contained my spell checker and translater is non compatible and have been disabled.

Anyone any ideas on where I can find suitable alternatives

A friend of mine had a very similar problem with an upgrade to FF4. His menu bar was missing. For his situation he could hold down the Alt key and the menu bar was visible and usable. From there it was something like...View>>Toolbars>>etc and check "make toolbar visible"

Google your problem...I'm sure someone out there has the solution. I found the solution to his problem very quickly via Google.

HTH

Bob

I had the same issue. I somehow managed to get my Google toolbar back by :

- right-clicking on the toolbar (next to "Help" where there is nothing visible)

- choose "Customize"

- click "Restore Default Set"

Does it works with you?

Antoine

I've used Firefox for the last 7+ years with no problems until this latest version downloaded itself earlier today. It just keeps saying that my toolbars are not compatible with FF5 and they have been disabled.

I think Firefox 5 was a surprise for many...

The other day I was work.... ehm... surfing when Firefox asks to upgrade to 5.

5??? But ***??? It just updated to 4 a couple of months ago!!

Dunno about Google toolbars, but probably most of the thirdy parts application developpers reacted the same way! (for example it disabled my realtime plugin). I think it will be a matter of days before they all update their plugins (well... the big ones at least, Google for sure), just keep trying to upgrade them until it works

Oh... I forgot the board has a bad words filter... who knows if it will also block Whiskey, Tango, Foxtrot :P

Edited by Yuri

I suggest you try Google Chrome: Chrome is very fast, it has a very elegant and simple interface and tools like spell checker and translation are built-in, so you don't need the toolbar. It will automatically detect the language of any page you're visiting and will ask you if you want to translate the contents.

You can download it here:

http://www.google.com/chrome/intl/en/make/download.html?&brand=CHMB&utm_campaign=en&utm_source=en-ha-na-us-sk&utm_medium=ha

Good call, first time I've looked at it and I'm impressed. Will try it out for a few days and see how it goes. I Googled the Firefox problem and it seems that most add-ons and plug ins have been disabled as incompatible with FF5.

I've found that with FF4 and FF5 the browser seems to get bloated and slows down. I have to close and reopen frequently. Interestingly, it is noted in FF's Q&As.

They try to pack in too much.

Edited by bigjugs

Yes, I had the upgrade thrust upon me, I see little to no difference, and it seems to hang as running when I close it out constantly now. I originally jumped on the firefox bandwagon a few years ago, but thinking of jumping as it just seems to get worse instead of better.