Here's a project I recently completed for a group build sponsored by our local hobby club to celebrate this years centennial of US Naval Aviation.

This is an old Monogram kit I built about 20+ years ago. A few years back I decided it was looking its age so I took it out of my display case, striped all of the various bits off of it such as the landing gear and doors, pylons and a few other things which I placed in my spares bin. The rest of the model was packed away in a card board box and buried in the basement where it sat until last month. While cleaning out my basement I came across this old Tomcat covered in dust and spider webs. With all of the talk about the coming Apocalypse in the news these past few months I thought perhaps it was time for a little Resurrection.

I gave it a good wash and then striped it down and resprayed it overall with Model Masters Gull Grey. This project gave me the perfect opportunity to practice a technique for redoing panel lines I've considered for awhile now. Re-scribing the panel lines with a sharp pencil and Dymo tape. It's time consuming but really couldn't be simpler and I'm pleased with the way it turned out. The model was then weathered with some pastel dust and sealed with a clear coat. I managed to loose the burner cans over the years so I replaced them with a leftover set from a Hasegawa Tomcat and I also used the Hasegawa alpha prob on the nose. I used a set of old Super Scale decals and added a set of intake covers form Steel Beach.

It was a fun project resurrecting this old Monogram Tomcat and there's a certain amount of satisfaction seeing it back in my display case with a new lease on life.

LoVizVF-211_F14A_01.jpg

LoVizVF-211_F14A_06.jpg

LoVizVF-211_F14A_05.jpg

LoVizVF-211_F14A_04.jpg

LoVizVF-211_F14A_03.jpg

LoVizVF-211_F14A_02.jpg

Thanks for looking,

Mark

Great work Mark. What set of decals did you use? Very nice Tomcat.....

What Dymo tape and which one did you use?

Thanks Jim,-

The decals were from SuperScale sheet 48-217. They came with markings for a lo-viz VF-142 Tomcat also.

I'm not sure what brand of Dymo tape I use. It's white, if that helps. I got it at "Staples" sometime last year.

Cheers,

Mark

Great work Mark!! I like the subtle weathering and choice of markings.

It's cool to see the Mon F-14 get built so much recently, very inspirational.

mason

Thanks Mason,

It's good to hear from you. I've been meaning to drop you a line.

Semper Fi,

Mark

Good looking build. Not too many people know the Hase cans will fit the Monogram kit.

I'm curious as to which decals you used also. I couldn't find them in my decal stash.

Thanks,

Super Scale 48-217. They worked well but the pin stripe decal was a real bear to work with. I elected to cut it into three section instead of trying to get one long thin piece into place. Gunship Gray seemed to be a good match for the color.

Fortunately, I had a set of Academy cans and Hasegawa cans but, no Monogram cans and it ended up being a process of elimination. The Hasegawa ones do fit nicely with just a little bit of sanding and Hasegawa kindly provides an extra set... :woot.gif:

Cheers,

Mark

Hey, could I borrow that until the second week of August? :whistle: That turned out beautifully. Great job! It's good to see that the Monogram kit can build up into a nice looking model.

Thanks Darren,

I've been looking for a VF-211 Tomcat in your line up but, I haven't seen one yet, or did I miss it?... If not, perhaps we can work something out... :rofl:

You were the inspiration for this one Darren!... After seeing all of your amazing Tomcats over the years I had to give it a shot.

Cheers,

Mark

Fantastic job, Mark ... :thumbsup2:

I built that same kit with those same decals way back when the sheet was new ... :blink:

When building models, I still regard my times building Monogram kits as the most fun ...

Gregg

Your Tomcat looks really nice, Mark. Good job.

Thanks Q!

Beautiful! :thumbsup:

Thanks Domi!...And welcome aboard

Fantastic job, Mark ... :thumbsup2:

I built that same kit with those same decals way back when the sheet was new ... :blink:

When building models, I still regard my times building Monogram kits as the most fun ...

Thanks Gregg,

I agree. I have a certain soft spot for the classic Monogram kits and thoroughly enjoy building them. That's fortunate because I have a ton of them in my stash.

Mark,

Can't have enough of TOMCATS... :wub: :wub:

STUNNING..SHE IS AN OUTSTANDING BEAUTY !! :jaw-dropping::jaw-dropping::jaw-dropping:

Thanks Holmes,

You are correct, can't have enough Tomcats!... :woot.gif:

very nice work Mark - a realistic flat finish!

Thanks Ken,

I'm hoping to join you all in the USN Centennial GB before it's too late.

Cheers,

Mark