Finally had a chance to get cracking with the Revell 1/72 kit...

Not much done today, but it's a start:

StbSC2.jpg

All the best,

PB

Well PGB that is a good start, they LOOK like engines. Will be looking fwd to see the rest of the parts as you get to 'em :thumbsup:

A couple of older photos showing the paper test print for the markings while I sorted out the sizes:

b17MOD4.jpg

B17mod5.jpg

And here's my references for the particular B-17G I'm attempting to build.

B-17G-40-VE 42-97947

Suffered Category 3 damage as a result of a taxying accident at Denver Municipal Airport 14th April 1944, just two days after delivery to the USAAF, Leon H Pringle of the 6th Ferrying Group in command.

94CBW PFF aircraft.

Allocated 401st BG, 612th BS, as SC-U on the 7th August 1944.

Suffered unspecified damage in a ground accident whilst parked on the 5th February 1945, repaired and flew as High Squadron lead aircraft on the following day's mission.

Transferred to 615th BS becoming IY-U at the end of February 1945, all the 401st's PFF B-17s were concentrated into the 615th at this time.

Transferred to 305th BG in August or May 1945 for Project Casey Jones.

Snooper.jpg

Looks like a OD and grey replacement cowling on No.3 engine in this photo.

Something odd seems to be going on with the colour of the cowl flaps too:

snooperpic2.jpg

42-97947.jpg

TTFN,

Paul

Edited by PGB

Yup, APS-15 set roughly drawn up already, but whether it's worth adding to the radio room I'll decide later.

Radome primed, ready for the first coat of antique white sometime over the weekend.

Hi,

Very attractive markings, nice job on the decals :thumbsup: .

I'm somewhat amazed: while the picture clearly shows that the waist gun positions are unstaggered, Vega is supposed to have started producing B-17G's with staggered positions with block -35VE.

A quick google search did not show anything but "-40VE" for 42-97947.

Definitely a special aircraft.

Cheers, Stefan.

Ta Dirk,

I'm using free software for the job.

OpenOffice Draw for the graphics, then import it straight into OpenOffice Writer to lay in the lettering.

Usefully, you can specify dimensions manually to get everything to scale.

The font is a free download too, USAAF Stencil.

I'll be using another free font editing download to tweak the individual letters to remove the stencil bars before printing them out with a colour laser printer.

I usually use clear decal paper, but in this case I need to keep the yellow bright, so I'll use white decal paper.

The nose art's going to be a bit more difficult I fear.

I'll most likely just do the artwork and lettering on the PC, the blue background will be painted.

All the best,

PB

Looking good Paul. Where did you find the download of the USAAF stencil font? FWIW, I show the Vega birds with the staggered waist windows starting at the -50 block (Roger Freeman's "The B-17 Flying Fortress Story" pg 56. Also the first of the Detail and Scale books on the 17, pg 55).

Edited by 100th BG

That makes sense, making the staggered waist one of the "tipping points" than ended Block 45-VE and began Block 50-VE.

For the font, try HERE for the current version.

The one I was using is a previous edition, the new one means I don't have to edit the bars out myself. :D

All the best,

Paul

Hi,

Karl and Paul,

Thanks for the update on the block numbers for the staggered waist positions.

When the Revell kit came out last year, I attempted to calculate how many of the 8680 B-17G's had the unstaggered positions.

I found there were at least 2404 of those.

That was reached by adding the numbers for the blocks prior to BO-50, VE-35 and 25-DL. With the new info on the Lockheed Vega production, I'll have to add a couple hundred. :)

Cheers, Stefan.

• 1 month later...

Shamefully small progress report:

Props, interior and scanner radome painted.

Sorry.

I'm still undecided whether to paint or foil the thing, so until I go one way or the other all I can do are the detail bits. ;)

PB

• 1 month later...

Test exterior foiling started, using household budget cooking foil with diluted PVA glue.

I've done a couple of fuselage sections and am leaving them for a couple of weeks to make sure they don't lift or peel.

Photos to follow soon. ;)