Hey guys~!

Got a very SERIOUS question and since most of the 'veteran' model-building experts here handled them I'm sure hoping they have solutions to my problem.

How do you keep your tools from RUSTING?!

homerscreaming-1.gif

Any help or ideas will do. Thanks.

Jack

What/where are you using or leaving your tools to make them rust?

The answers either way are,

Clean them after each use.

Oil them before long periods of storage.

I found signs of rust developing on them before use.

My tools were stored in a specific container and they were cleaned after use.

About your suggestion with oil what brand do you recommend?

Can you control the humidity in your house or hobby room? Obviously a high humidity is not desirable.

The local weather forecast warn a triple-digit degree today so it's gonna be a challenge; I have NO hobby room :doh:; and the only safe place I could store them is in the closet located in the shaddiest part of my home.

For those tools prone to rusting, I put a little old-fashioned 3-in-1 oil on a piece of paper towel and wipe the tool gently, then take a dry piece of the same stuff and wipe gently again.

Here's a quick list of the things that get this treatment:

X-Acto blades, Mission Models folding tool and blades to assist with folds, some of the cheap tweezers, needle nose pliers, razor saws. Must be more but that's all I can think of at the moment. If I'm going to use any oiled tools for glue, paint, decals I wipe them dry first..

When I catch some corrosion in the early stages I can usually stop that with a little 600 or 800 grit sandpaper...gently again. I just dispose of the X-Acto blades if they reach this stage. Some of the more talented ARCers can sharpen these blades but I've never been able to do that very well. I can put a mean edge on as pocket knife though. ;)

BTW, I live in in Down East Maine, so humidity and salt air are always an issue. Can't complain much about the heat, though!

Cheers

Rick

What they said.

Also, Midway USA (shooting supplies) sells a product that will help with anything you can keep in a sealed container. They are "rust prevention chips"—small squares of treated cardboard that prevent rust of items placed in the container with them. I use these for corrosion critical items like taps, dies, punches, etc.

Another product they have that is a wonderful cleaner, especially for files, is Hoppe's Elite Gun Cleaner.

surely a bit of silica gel in those lil packets that you get that tell you " do not eat"? i managed to "aquire" some crystals that do the same job ( they put this stuff in underground mining equipment electrical boxes in bags) and i keep a bag in my tool box ( also keep my tools oiled... singer sewing machine oil or wd 40) just a thought.... works for me... :salute: