Turkish Air Force F-16C/D decals

Caracal Models will release the first one of a two-sheet series covering the Turkish Air Force F-16C/D fleet in September. This first sheet will cover 10 different unit insignia used by seven squadrons at different times since 1987. The sheet will also have stencilling and serial numbers for twin seaters for each option, along with detailed information on the modifications that need to be done to accurately portray TuAF aircraft.

cd48006_promo1.png

Any plans to do the new demo bird?

They had that demo bird painted by someone who has never designed anything like that before, and it shows. The markings on the airframe are not a problem at all; but the falcon's head on the tail is duplicated on the upper rear fuselage and upper wing surfaces in two tones of black: flat and gloss. I have no idea how to replicate this effect using decals, it looks like the user has to use a mask to apply the final flat varnish. I designed all the major markings, but the stupid use of flat & gloss black on the same surfaces all but killed the project. I might still revisit the idea at some point.

Here's a photo that will show what I'm talking about:

1303129613_22_solo-turk-f-16-12.jpg

Too bad that the paint scheme is horrendous, otherwise they have a fine flight display.

Edited by KursadA

Too bad that the paint scheme is horrendous, otherwise they have a fine flight display.

I beg to differ: I quite like the colour scheme, and look forward to seeing it display at RIAT this sunday!!

Well there

As a simple observation this sheets follows a trend for aftermarket, of course you got insignia for every plane available but only real able to finish a couple of kits because the lack of enough roundels and tail flags,

Best modeling

Armando

As a simple observation this sheets follows a trend for aftermarket, of course you got insignia for every plane available but only real able to finish a couple of kits because the lack of enough roundels and tail flags,

Armando,

Thanks for your comment. Realistically speaking, even hard-core modelers from the subject country would probably build a maximum of two or three F-16s in this scale. I believe most modelers would agree two full sets of markings on this $15 sheet is sufficient, considering the variety of the possibilities provided by the sheet.

There will be a second sheet covering the remaining TuAF units; and I will start working on a sheet for Hellenic F-16s following the same formula in the Fall. I know Bob just did a Hellenic Falcon sheet, but there are many interesting unit insignia that are not covered in that set.

Edited by KursadA
  • 4 months later...

Thanks for your comment. Realistically speaking, even hard-core modelers from the subject country would probably build a maximum of two or three F-16s in this scale. I believe most modelers would agree two full sets of markings on this $15 sheet is sufficient, considering the variety of the possibilities provided by the sheet.

Just to add - in that case, I would prefer a few more roundels and flags rather than each serial number seperately taking up valuable real estate on the sheet.

For future releases, it might be an idea to put a few sets of seperate numbers on the sheet, leaving it to the modeler to assemble the desired serial.

Just my €0.02...

Cheers,

Andre

Thanks for posting this-do you know when this photo was taken? 07-1015 did not have the tail art when I designed the sheet. The decals have all the markings necessary, but the instructions show 07-1015 as it appeared in June 2011. I will put an updated profile on the Web site to reflect the new markings of 07-1015.

Thanks for posting this-do you know when this photo was taken? 07-1015 did not have the tail art when I designed the sheet. The decals have all the markings necessary, but the instructions show 07-1015 as it appeared in June 2011. I will put an updated profile on the Web site to reflect the new markings of 07-1015.

From MP Net Turkish Air Force picture of the week (25.11.2011)

Armando,

There will be a second sheet covering the remaining TuAF units; and I will start working on a sheet for Hellenic F-16s following the same formula in the Fall. I know Bob just did a Hellenic Falcon sheet, but there are many interesting unit insignia that are not covered in that set.

I guess I should wait for the Hellenic sheet to finish my viper...