Starting the Global Hawk

RQ-4BGlobalHawkbox.jpg

Wingspan is amazing for this 1/48 scale kit

RQ-4Bwing-01.jpg

One question, what panel lines are visible on the GH? I have some big gaps and from some photos, it looks like there are very few panel lines.

RQ-4B-wing-gap.jpg

Got a tip from Z-5 about the accuracy of the kit. They pointed out that the main wheels on this kit have dual wheels which is correct for the "A" model but not for the "B" model which is a single wheel. The instructions cover this modification. At least it is easier to remove a wheel then add....see photos on the prime portal link earlier in this thread.

My father-in-law works for Northrop-Grumman, so I've thought about doing one for him, but the Block mix and match thing is annoying.

I'll be following your progress with interest.

mason

Got a tip from Z-5 about the accuracy of the kit. They pointed out that the main wheels on this kit have dual wheels which is correct for the "A" model but not for the "B" model which is a single wheel. The instructions cover this modification. At least it is easier to remove a wheel then add....see photos on the prime portal link earlier in this thread.

Whatever you do...check, double check and check again before you go snipping off stuff on those gear struts!!!!! Don't ask me how I know dry.gif.

Edited by TomcatFanatic123

Damn that's a big bird. Running cement down on that wing span would be daring work!! Good luck, wish my apartment had enough space for one of these birds.

I plan on hanging the kit above the patio door and use it as an awning :banana:

Seriously, it has the same wingspan of my 1/48 C-130 but the length of a 1/48 F-18. Will hang the model in the hobby room or at the hobby shop to save room.

Little GAP filling to do here. The real aircraft does not appear to have that many panel lines on the wings. I do need to scribe a few line to continue them (across the leading edge) but a big chunk stays filled. Also sanded down the pebbly finish. Also a few panel lines on the fuselage do not continue to the seam which is actually a good thing, easier to re-scribe than try to align the seam.

seamfill-01.jpg

I plan on building it "in flight". After looking at the wing position, the long wingspan seemed to make the wings droop when hanging the kit from the fuselage or supported on a rod. The wing box kit stiffeners did not help much and flexed the fuselage sides. It appears that when built gear down, the gear supports the wings fine but in flight....

What I did here is add a reinforcement frame on top of the internal wing box using epoxy putty to attach it and adjust to all the contours.

MQ-4B_wingsupport.jpg

I taped the fuselage belly to the top so it will be in alignment when I separate the halved again.

MQ-4B_fuselage-01.jpg

I also wanted to be able to add the wings after the fuselage was painted (did not want to fight the long wings when building). The next step was to slot the holes in the wing spar so I can finish them separately from the fuselage and install at last minute or remove them for travel.

MQ-4B_wingslots.jpg

Edited by drhornii

It is interesting to see that the Skunkworks kit is very similar parts breakdown and assemblywise to the 1:72 Platz kit.

Edited by madmike

Doing this build "in flight", added a square tube glued inside & reinforced with epoxy. I made it so the GH was in a climb and slight turn.

MQ-4B-pole-02.jpg

MQ-4B-pole-01.jpg

Square rod receptacle.....

MQ-4B-pole-03.jpg

Reinforcements for the nose gear doors that will closed.

MQ-4B-NG-01.jpg

make sure you dont make it turn too much the wing might hit the ground at that altitude

Yep, took that into account. With it in a climb, that also insured that the banking will not hit the base. I have a couple inches of clearance now.

• 3 weeks later...

Had to put the kit down for a few weeks since I was on a business trip but finally back on it.

I was worried about the delicate probes on the tail so I decided to add a piece of plastic taped on for protection. I always break off things so I am being proactive...

Also, I am glad I modified the wings so they can be added later....much easier to work on the fuselage!

RQ-4Brudder-02.jpg

RQ-4Brudder-01.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Making slow progress....lot of other activities taking up my time.

Just painted the model with the darker gray a custom mix of 36118 that I used at work for some instruments. The lighter 36118 is Xtracrylix. Some ref photos show various colors around the upper fwd section of the dome & on the belly. Still need to do weathering before the decals go on then more weathering after that.

RQ4-paint-01.jpg

RQ4-paint-02.jpg