Removing old paint questions

I have an old set of Paragon resin F-111 afterburners. Kit was destroyed in a move and I'm making another one with a little better skills after 15 years.

The burner cans were painted with a combination of Testors Model master enamels and Metalizer colors. I've used the old trick of soaking in automotive brake fluid before but only on plastic...never on resin.

My questions:

1. Will the resin absorb the brake fluid?? I can see oil leeching out of the resin long after the paint has been applied.

2. Will the brake fluid lift the Metalizer?? It works great on enamels but I've never tried it on lacquers.

Should I just cover everything in Model Master Gloss Black and break out the Alcads?? I don't know how well this would look since the surface would probably be somewhat grainy.

Thanks for all your advice!!

pbtomcatfan@gmail.com

When I cleaned old painted parts, even resin, I used a rather strong solvent my dad had in his garage. I soaked it, just as you've done, then put a pair of rubber gloves on, and started to rub the paint off using my fingers: careful, gentle rubbing, so that the parts don't break. I then left the part in the sun for 2 days straight. To me, it seems that heat helps evaporate solvents quite well. I cleaned it lastly with some Model Master thinner. There were some small traces of paint left inside engraved areas, but 95% of the stuff was gone.

And yes, your part will "sweat" out solvents; leave it to dry in the sun, that's my advice.

Hope it works!

Tudor

Quite some time ago I invested in a bottle of "Carson Paint Killer":

http://www.rc2000.fr/Photos/carson%20paint%20killer%20908113.jpg

I believe it's mainly used in the RC world but I think it works a treat.

Careful not to "soak" transparent parts with but it doesn't damage the plastic or resin at all.

Just brush it on with an old paint brush, the paint will start to blister almost straight away.

In France we use "Decap four" it is originally used to remove all the dirt from inside ovens and it works like a charm !! I dont know its equivalent in the rest of the world but it is produced by Henkel

RTEmagicC_DecafourProduits.jpg.jpg