OT: Transformers 3. DSOTM

Well I managed to catch this flick with my daughter last night.

Local theatres have Tues. nights as basically half price night, to generate $$.

So it was tolerable if movie sucked! lol.

Toad covers it pretty well.

I found the characters of Dr. Duchbag & Secretary of Intelligence to be expendable within a few minutes of their first scene!

The 'potty-mouthed, leg humping 'bots' were amusing at times.

I was not impressed with the Predator style Decepticons or blatant Predator coup de grace!

The editing seemed a little off with Chicago.

The very sudden scene change to city under seige had me thinking quite a bit was left on the cutting room floor.

The alien ships floating around had me thinking that I've seen this before.

My daughter (teen) was not impressed when Laserbeak impersonated Arcee to assassinate the one family.

Apparently she is an Arcee fan.

(I only remember her watching Beast Wars)

The wingsuit scene was cool because you knew it was real-not cgi, but Trigger is right about it's tactical advantage-zero!

I found it amusing that the Seals & Airborne were already 'downtown'.

Obviously Bay found a 'cool' extreme sport to add to and promote the movie.

Overall we found it to be better than #2.

I would wait for your local theatres 'discount' night/matinee though.

bad writing/acting?

You forgot directing!

I have absolutely zero plans to ever see this movie. The first was pretty bad from a former follower of the original TV series. The second was appallingly bad and this one just looks worse. Had they gotten a real director to make these movies they could have really excelled. But they went with a softcore ********* director and failed the franchise right from the start. I have never seen a MB movie that I thought was good or even entertaining.

Sure the Transformers in the first movie looked cool but they were still kind of flamboyant compared to the old classics. I wish they'd have kept it more original.

There are far too many movies this summer to spend money on. I probably won't get to see any of them due to work n kids.

Oh well.

I started to try and list all of the holes in the plot and story, but I didn't think anyone would bother reading such a long list. Very disappointing, the ridiculous story and plot turn this into a special effects movie only, and even that gets old after 2hrs40mins. I would like to see someone else re-do this franchise similar to how Batman has been done recently, a little darker, and a lot more realistic. If it weren't for the special effects, which these days aren't that big a deal, this movie would be a total disaster, it's not even a good 80's movie. I would be ashamed to have been a part of it. Bay should be beaten, repeatedly, if it lasted as long as the movie I think it would at least be as equally entertaining.

This movie missed the point. The point being to sell toys for hasbro. Most of the decpticons are drones that don't transform. What fun is that? A kid is supposed to leave the movies and beg his mom or dad to go to the toy store. After this movie I'm sure he can't even remember most of their names. The original cartoon was all about selling action figures, nothing more nothing less. I didn't expect a great plot, but this movie never had that wow moment besides the scene mentioned in the posts above this one. Come now, when blackout transformed and started tossing 62 ton tanks around like tonka toys that was a moment to remember.

Those drones are geared toward modelers!

I saw the movie with my good frined Pep and his wife. Then we went out to dinner. That was good enough!By the way totally missed the LEM part. I am embarrased!

Enough said.

Wow, this "critic" - and I use the term loosely, missed the whole point of a Transformers movie that being to target boys and young men and entertain them for 2 1/2 hours. With a recipe of action, a hot actress, explosions, cars and car chases, and an rapidly moving Sci-Fi story, Transformers 3 with a $500 million take in 9 days is already a huge success. This "critic" is just ****** he will never see that sort of money or fame.

Great movie to see on the big screen! Not quite good as #1(close) but way better than #2.

Edited by GRAIL007

<...>

At the start of the movie, the Decepticons... giant silver robots that transform into tanker trucks, MBs, F-22s and copier machines are hiding out on the plains of Africa. Hiding amongst the zebras, elephants, etc.?

Laserbeak tries to make Ken Jeong's death look like a suicide, only to turn right around and reveal himself to the entire office?

<...>

Not only in the plains of Africa, but in that parts of the plains of Africa that are visited by tens of thousands of tourists a year! And the huge treks of migrating animals in the Serengeti/Maasai Mara area actually occur a couple hundred klicks to the north-west of Mt. Kilimanjaro. Ah, more from the Michael Bay School of Wormhole Geography (Smithsonian to Arizona through a wall, Petra to Giza in a couple of minutes). On the other hand, you could say that this won't matter to anyone who hasn't been there, but provides spectacular backdrops.

The Laserbeak incident: the way I understood it he tried to make it look a suicide (killing those who know about the dark side of the moon without arousing suspicion), but blows his cover when finding Sam on the scene. Perhaps Sam being there wasn't anticipated?

What I didn't get, though, is how the Soviets got hold of some Ark technology when all they did was taking pics?

Think they should've cut Frances McDormand's character. Cool, tough, "not a 'Ma'am'" government agent doesn't fly when you have her snapping at her assistant to go for the green ostrich leather handbag or getting into pink sneakers merely seconds later.

I've got an uncanny feeling that the purpose of the Transformers movies isn't to sell Hasbro toys, but rather Chevys! Or maybe the two combined: toy robots for the kids and a Chevy for Mommy and Daddy! But, seriously, I think the Chevrolet logo got more airtime than some of the characters.

Overall, I must say that I did enjoy the film for what it was (giant robots beating the cr@p out of each other), although at times I thought they should have decided to go for either drama or comedy, because the way this changed in the blink of an eye was a bit much. I think it has to do with making films for an audience as broad as possible and including something for everyone. Make it darker (like the recent Batmans), you lose the kids, take out the wholesale destruction and you lose the grown-ups.

And on the aviation side, I liked the quad tilt-rotor. Sort of an Osprey2!

Edited by ChernayaAkula
BTW, anyone notice the complete Apollo 11 LEM when they went back to the moon? Kind of makes you wonder how the astronauts got back if the ascent stage stayed on the moon.

I remember I was gonna call out "Futurama" for the same thing in one of their early episodes, when two characters get lost on the moon and take shelter in an abandoned LEM. But inside the cabin is a placard reading "Luner Module returned to this location by the Historical Sticklers Association."

As for T-3, I'll probably catch it on Blue-Ray. I'll onlhy bother with the theatrical version if I can see it in 2-D. I hate those freakin' glasses!

I dont' expect much in the way of logic or plausibility..it's a two-hour toy commercial fer cryin' out loud! I had a good laugh in T-2 when they "wake up" the SR-71 at the NASM Udvar-Hazy center outside D.C., and it busts through the wall and steps out into...the AMARG aircraft storage facility at Davis-Monthan AFB in Tuscon, Arizona. That's about two-thousand miles in one step. I suppose a Transformer could manage that, but the humans following it had no trouble keeping up on foot.

SN

I've got an uncanny feeling that the purpose of the Transformers movies isn't to sell Hasbro toys, but rather Chevys! Or maybe the two combined: toy robots for the kids and a Chevy for Mommy and Daddy! But, seriously, I think the Chevrolet logo got more airtime than some of the characters.

... and Lenovo computers...

I remember I was gonna call out "Futurama" for the same thing in one of their early episodes, when two characters get lost on the moon and take shelter in an abandoned LEM. But inside the cabin is a placard reading "Luner Module returned to this location by the Historical Sticklers Association."

As for T-3, I'll probably catch it on Blue-Ray. I'll onlhy bother with the theatrical version if I can see it in 2-D. I hate those freakin' glasses!

I dont' expect much in the way of logic or plausibility..it's a two-hour toy commercial fer cryin' out loud! I had a good laugh in T-2 when they "wake up" the SR-71 at the NASM Udvar-Hazy center outside D.C., and it busts through the wall and steps out into...the AMARG aircraft storage facility at Davis-Monthan AFB in Tuscon, Arizona. That's about two-thousand miles in one step. I suppose a Transformer could manage that, but the humans following it had no trouble keeping up on foot.

SN

How do we know that wall wasn't a portal ? :whistle:

I'm like you Steve, both in waiting to see it at home and hate 3D too ...

Gregg