Brett Prusso's 1/48 Revell F-15E

02.jpg

Hey there, fellas! :wave:

Had ne'er seen this camo colour of grey so dark on an F-15 radome before 'n' I just wanted to ask ya whether this colour occurs only on the Strike version of the Eagle or if it's there any examples occurrin' on the fighter versions as well.

Cheers there, blokes :thumbsup:

Unc²

Just like the F-16, the radome color on all models of the Eagle is "gray". Any shade will do. I've seen some Strike Eagle radomes that after time/weather/etc look almost as light as those on a fighter, and I've seen fighter Eagles that were so dark I would swear they were Strike radomes. So, his color is fine.

Aaron

Yep, real deal.

Noooiiiceee piccies, Curt, my mate; thanks! :thumbsup: Actually, my question didn't object to Brett's choice of colour paint on his kit's radome, but it was meant to find out whether ya'd know of any Wing or Sqn of the Eagle's fighter version (A or C), not wearin' the customary two-tone colour Mod Eagle scheme of camouflage 'n' wear this overall scheme of grey with the darker radome, just like on Brett's model. Me thought that perhaps there would be one Wing or Sqn, domestic or abroad wearin' this kinda camo.

and I've seen fighter Eagles that were so dark I would swear they were Strike radomes. So, his color is fine.

Thanks to ya too, Aaron! :worship: D'ya happen to have any piccies or know 'bout any specific Wing or Sqn markings of Eagle fighters wearin' the dark radomes resemblin' the Strike birds,' by chance, mate? I'd real love to do a figher Eagle wearin' Brett's camo, 'n' me's nay quite a fan of the Strike Eagles, to be honest with ya.

He has done a FANTASTIC job on the weathering and it looks FAR OUT !!!

:blink: Uh-huh...??? Uh-huh...???

0429_princess_leia_bikini_00.jpg

Holmes likes Jabba the Hutt WAY much more than he likes cutey Princess Leia, Curt's told me. :lol:

Cheers, lads!

Unc²

Here's a picture of a dark radome on an F-15C. Credit for the pic goes to Jake Melampy.

---> :wub: <--- Aaron, bloke! Thank ya a helluva lot, mate! :worship: That's luv at first sight! D'ya know which unit this C belongs or belonged to or its BuNo? Will talk to Jake myself if not; nay sweat, bru. Noooiiiceee findin,' chap! Me likes! :thumbsup: A million thanks for yer favour, my man! Awesome piccy.

Anythin' I could eva help ya with, just whistle, aye?

Cheers, lad!

Unc²

It's with the Fighter Weapons School (57th Fighter Wing) at Nellis, AFB Nevada. The serial number (AF does not use BuNo like the Navy does) is 76-0057.

Aaron

That's actually an F-15A used as a ground instructional airframe, and not really representative for the colours on operational airframes!

It's with the Fighter Weapons School (57th Fighter Wing) at Nellis, AFB Nevada. The serial number (AF does not use BuNo like the Navy does) is 76-0057.

Awlright, Aaron! :thumbsup: Many thanks for both the info 'n' the tip regardin' the BuNo; I real didn't know 'bout that. :doh:

That's actually an F-15A used as a ground instructional airframe, and not really representative for the colours on operational airframes!

Better still if it's an A 'cause me's got the 1/48 Monogram kit to deal with. Pollie, mate; would ya mind elaboratin' on the subject of a ground instructional airframe, please? Means the bird doesn't fly or sumthin,' bru? :unsure:

Thank you for clearing that up with that one, but it is not the only one I've seen like that. I've seen operational jets with dark radomes on an Albino, and visa versa on a Strike.

Uh-huh... actually, I've just been sent a piccy of an F-15C wearin' an overall dark grey camo scheme, just like that on the Strike version, piccy which I'll gladly post here if it's awlright by the sender, aye? Already asked for his permission.

Thank ya blokes, both of ya, for yer help; sincerely. Cheers!

Unc²

If it is the one I'm thinking about, it's from the Strike Eagle trials. They were trying to figure out what color(s) would be best to paint the operational Strikes, and painted a few F-15C's different camo patterns to decide. I guess I should be more specific...there are no albino F-15's (other than those mentioned used for testing purposes) that has ever worn the over-all dark gray camo of the Strikes.

Aaron

Better still if it's an A 'cause me's got the 1/48 Monogram kit to deal with. Pollie, mate; would ya mind elaboratin' on the subject of a ground instructional airframe, please? Means the bird doesn't fly or sumthin,' bru? :unsure:

I'm not exactly sure where they use them (Nellis has two) for, could be weapons loading training, crew chief training, tow tractor driver training, you name it.

The one in the photo looks so bleached because it is always out in the scorching Nevada sunshine.

If it is the one I'm thinking about, it's from the Strike Eagle trials. They were trying to figure out what color(s) would be best to paint the operational Strikes, and painted a few F-15C's different camo patterns to decide. I guess I should be more specific...there are no albino F-15's (other than those mentioned used for testing purposes) that has ever worn the over-all dark gray camo of the Strikes.

Here, Aaron; poster consented my postin' his image on this thread; serial #82-022 of the 422nd TES:

1161f8b8d3Image20x.jpg

Me'd be jumpin' thru' hoops if this C had its radome painted darker, like on Brett's model. :crying2: Say, is it the Eagle ya were thinkin' 'bout, mate? Also, whut d'ya mean by albino F-15s?

I'm not exactly sure where they use them (Nellis has two) for, could be weapons loading training, crew chief training, tow tractor driver training, you name it.

The one in the photo looks so bleached because it is always out in the scorching Nevada sunshine.

Awlright, many thanks, Pollie! Any additional info ya came across, please let me know.

Thanks to ya both, blokes! :thumbsup:

Cheers,

Unc²

Yep. That's the picture I was referring to. It was used in the F-15E trials to decide which camo would work best for them...Obviously, the Gunship Gray one was chosen.

Albino Eagles refer to the fighters, A-D, because the camo on them is so much lighter than the dark gray of the F-15E's that they look washed-out and white in comparison to them...Kinda like a human (or any other animal) albino will look next to a "normal" human.

Aaron