Full exterior set!

Order now!

www.Zactomodels.com

Right_2.jpg

MMS_lens.jpgDisco_Ball_4.jpg

Vent-2.jpgVent-1.jpg

Tailboom_1.jpgMast.jpg

58_Etch.jpg

Already ordered the MMS and want the rest? E-mail me for details.

Still available separately:

1/35 OH-58D Kiowa MMS

MMS_lens.jpg

Some more awesome tooling from Eastern!

Check out Alexander's OH-58D Kiowa build:

http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index.php?showtopic=227564

:cheers:

www.Zactomodels.com

Edited by Zactoman
  • 9 months later...

The detail set keeps growing!

Photo-etch arrived today. :woot.gif:

In the coming days I'll be posting pics of all the details as I fit them.

Here's the disco ball and pedestal just test fitted:

Disco_Ball.jpg

The 'disco ball' looks terrific! Eager to see it in person.
Package sent today.

Pray to the Mail-Gods for a speedy delivery! <_<

The disco ball looks to have different coloured facets in the above image. Is this an effect of light on the plain brass etch or have you cut and fitted tiny irridescent squares? :wacko:
I was experimenting with different methods of applying the same iridescent film I used on the MMS lenses.

The top row is plain Brass, center is the film over brass and the bottom row is the film over Bare Metal Foil over brass.

The third method is the best looking so far but I'm still experimenting.

Disco_Ball_2.jpg

More (better?) disco pics coming later.

The facets are etched in three separate rows so it's possible to apply the iridescent finish while flat and cut between the lenses before shaping the part.

58_Etch.jpg

More parts test-fitted:

Vent-1.jpg

Vent-2.jpg

:tumble:

I'll be posting a new thread in the helo forum when I've fully assembled the (unpainted) display model.

Hopefully then some of the helo guys will notice?

Alexander's tail boom:

Tailboom_1.jpg

The right side with most of the etch attached (some are just blue-tacked in place):

Right_2.jpg

I messed around with the iridescent a little more and got some nicer results (top row). I'll eventually do the other two rows.

I played around with more methods of applying the iridescent film and haven't found an easy way to get good results.

The best method I've found is also the most difficult...

Shown here is Bare Metal Foil applied to the brass with the iridescent film held in place with Future Floor Wax.

Disco_Ball_3.jpg

The big problem is in cutting the film between each facet. Even using a brand new blade and being extremely careful, the film tends to come off the foil. I ended up brushing Future on several times to keep the film squares from falling off and then a final coat whan everything was assembled.

Using transparent two-sided tape is easier and more durable but standard Scotch two-sided isn't as convincing. Small amounts of air get trapped underneath the film vs the seamless effect you get with Future.

I know there are higher quality two-sided tapes available but didn't have any to experiment with.

Doing instructions for this set is going to be a nightmare. There are 30 resin parts, 131 etch parts plus the film MMS lenses and film for the disco ball.

I'm thinking I might provide color pictures of the unpainted assembled kit with some accompanying drawings and dimensions. Doing detailed drawings for each part would be a huge task.

I was (am?) considering dividing the parts up and releasing both an exterior set first and a full interior set later.

Due to the lack of attention this thread seems to be getting (and how few MMS sets I've previously sold) I'm more inclined to just release what is finished at this point and call it a day.

The full set will include everything including the MMS. Those who have already purchased the MMS will be able to purchase the set, minus the MMS cost.

I was (am?) considering dividing the parts up and releasing both an exterior set first and a full interior set later.

Due to the lack of attention this thread seems to be getting (and how few MMS sets I've previously sold) I'm more inclined to just release what is finished at this point and call it a day.

The full set will include everything including the MMS. Those who have already purchased the MMS will be able to purchase the set, minus the MMS cost.

Until Eastern gave a link to this thread I didn't know it existed. I'm in for two sets, maybe three. Any pricing or date of availability? I've got the two MMS already but I have more kits than I have resin. LOL

The workmanship is phenomenal.

Floyd

Thanks for the nice comments guys :cheers:

Any thoughts on this?

Exterior set would include everything shown on this thread so far.

Interior set would be a full cockpit but probably not the rear electronics compartment.

Any pricing or date of availability?
I guess that depends on whether we decide to do a cockpit.

The exterior set will be available as soon as I have time to finish an instruction sheet.

MMS and rotorhead parts installed:

MMS_1.jpg

My personal opinion is to offer three sets. Exterior, Interior, and Super Set. The Super set would have both sets and a slight discount in pricing. That is part business man and part modeler. Also as you mentioned to give the modeler the option on the MMS if they already purchased it.

On the interior set, I would love to see both sytle of seatbelts and a CAB dash with M4s. I'm assuming that the seats that Alexander did which would require the four point harness with quick release. The kit seats would have regular seatbelts.

I think what you've got there is a real winner. Like I said before I'm in for definitely two and probably three. Just tell me the price and where to send it too.

Now I hope that Alexander will take on a Task Force 160th Blackhawk or Chinook. Would love to see what he can do with those.

Floyd

My personal opinion is to offer three sets. Exterior, Interior, and Super Set. The Super set would have both sets and a slight discount in pricing.
Assuming we do both an interior and exterior, yes there will also be a discounted combo set.
On the interior set, I would love to see both sytle of seatbelts and a CAB dash with M4s. I'm assuming that the seats that Alexander did which would require the four point harness with quick release. The kit seats would have regular seatbelts.
If we can get enough references I'd be happy to include both types of belts and hardware on the etch.

Alexander has already made the big, round quick release mechanism which will be included as resin (upper right) along with these other interior parts:

58_interior_1.jpg

The black wash on the seats really doesn't do them justice. Have a look at the same seats painted and installed on Alexanders build (post #501). :thumbsup:

Now I hope that Alexander will take on a Task Force 160th Blackhawk or Chinook. Would love to see what he can do with those.
I'd love to see what he could do with an AIM-9J/N/P Sidewinder :whistle:
Are this going to be sold all together?? and when do you expect to release it??
Please read my last post (#17).

If we can get enough references I'd be happy to include both types of belts and hardware on the etch.

Alexander has already made the big, round quick release mechanism which will be included as resin (upper right) along with these other interior parts:

Here is a picture of the seatbelts and shoulder harness that is the older style.

DSCN7778.jpg

DSCN7823.jpg

And this isn't included in the kit either, the first aid kit.

FirstAidKit.jpg

Here is the CABS

DSCN8744.jpg

DSCN7938.jpg

DSCN7940.jpg

DSCN7939.jpg

That ought to help a lot. If you need anything else just let me know.

Floyd

This was also the first time I had noticed the additional information here. Some great looking upgrades there. :thumbsup:

A couple of observations, if you are going to use those 3 groups of holes under the oil cooler exhaust opening you need an additional set of fresh air intakes on that cowling. Also on the CABS equipped aircraft the first aid kit is moved from the location behind the right seat, the box that controls the CABS is in it's location on those birds, and the first aid kit was moved to the inside of the left avionic's bay door.

KiowaFixer