any books on what happened to military items after soviet collapse?

hey folks,

I recently watched a documentary on what happened to a few things after the fall of the Soviet Union. A couple things from the show: when one of the anthrax production plants shut down, they just took all of the anthrax they made and buried it under a couple feet of soil next door. When they retired a couple of the early nuclear subs, the navy just dumped their reactors in the ocean somewhere.

EPA? We don't need no stinkin' EPA! LOL

Anyway, I've only been able to find a little on the subject. Demon in the Freezer is about the anthrax program (haven't read it yet, so don't know if it goes all the way through "disposal"). Anyone run across anything else?

John

I saw a program on TV (military channel maybe?) that showed all the decommisioned subs and such sitting together all tied up at a pier. They looked like they'd sink if you looked at them wrong.

hey folks,

I recently watched a documentary on what happened to a few things after the fall of the Soviet Union. A couple things from the show: when one of the anthrax production plants shut down, they just took all of the anthrax they made and buried it under a couple feet of soil next door. When they retired a couple of the early nuclear subs, the navy just dumped their reactors in the ocean somewhere.

EPA? We don't need no stinkin' EPA! LOL

Anyway, I've only been able to find a little on the subject. Demon in the Freezer is about the anthrax program (haven't read it yet, so don't know if it goes all the way through "disposal"). Anyone run across anything else?

John

There are a number of programs at work. The biggest one is the US Cooperative Threat Reduction Program, but that is more broadly aimed at nuclear weapons and facilities. More on point on Nuclear powered ships/submarines, the G8 has spent over a billion dollars on decomissioning and properly scrapping these vessels since 2002 under the Global Partnership Program. Our program has been pretty successful; I think Canada put over two dozen ships through the system. Poke around here

http://www.international.gc.ca/gpp-ppm/global_partnership-partenariat_mondial.aspx?menu_id=1&view=d

An interesting article is by Ariel Levite in an 2003 edition of the journal International Security entitled "Russian Nuclear Cities." if you can get online access its worth a read.