Early USAF Markings Guide

In the early years of the USAF (1947-1950s) was there an equivalent to the current T.O. 1-1-4 that specified aircraft markings? In particular, I am looking for anything that might designate the standard size of the various markings (national insignia, USAF titles, etc) on the early post-war aircraft that are not covered by the later T.O.s that are readily available.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Mike

In the early years of the USAF (1947-1950s) was there an equivalent to the current T.O. 1-1-4 that specified aircraft markings? In particular, I am looking for anything that might designate the standard size of the various markings (national insignia, USAF titles, etc) on the early post-war aircraft that are not covered by the later T.O.s that are readily available.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Mike

Indeed there were Mike! Here is something I posted sometime back when someone else was looking for similar information: "There are several Tech Orders that might be of interest: TO 1-1-81, TO 07-1-1 (late 40's), TO 1-1-636 (1956) and finally the priginal TO 1-1-4 published in 1964. They all lead up to what became TO 1-1-4, but so far I have yet to locate copies. I have tried the NASM, National Archives and the Air Force Historical Research Cent. I am sure they are out there somewhere, but..." And that stll holds true. I have contacted the NASM without any response and the AFHRC at Maxwell AFB (who reffered me to the NASM) and the National Archives (who reffered me to the AFHRC). So in short, I am still looking. Maybe they are out there in PDF form somewhere. They must be out there somewhere in hard copy, but so far no joy.

Edited by jinxx1

Guys - I'm in the process of scanning the 1964 version of TO 1.1.4 - keep an eye on our website (www.usaf-sig.org) for updates.

Thank you! I found this morning that you had added that.