Another Trumpy canopy screwup - Su-25UB

Geez, I was just pointing out an error on the kit and suggesting how it might be fixed by the modeler. I wasn't looking to restart the rivet counter vs. just glad someone made a kit feud. No wonder we can't have nice things around here.

It's my fault entirely. It was late and I misread your subject and the tone of your post and then saw other comments joining in on the "unargumented bash" so I started to rant. My apologies.

If Zacto makes a canopy, I'll buy it. If not, I'll just fill and sand the window myself and move on.

Hmm, come to think of it, I think the single seater canopy is also off (too rounded at the top so the transition to the front canopy is wrong), but since it's not on the list, I guess I'll just leave it open.

Edited by ijozic
I think the single seater canopy is also off (too rounded at the top so the transition to the front canopy is wrong)
Actually, for some reason they made the top edge of the windscreen completely flat where is should be rounded...
...but since it's not on the list, I guess I'll just leave it open.
See my cryptic reply on post #14 (http://s362974870.onlinehome.us/forums/air/index.php?showtopic=233713&view=findpost&p=2228911)

:whistle:

I wouldn't fault Trumpeter too much for the large window on the rear seat. As you describe it, that's the rear canopy of the SU-25UBK (basically the export version). The UBK has no periscope, just a pane of glass on the top of the back seat. The UB (Russian home market) has a solid panel with the periscope. Its probably easier to convert a UBK canopy to a UB canopy than the other way around, so I think that other than the possibility of molding both, they probably made the right decision.

Some photos to undermine your theory.

Su-25UBs without periscope:

http://www.airfighters.com/photo/20391/L/Russia-Air-Force/Sukhoi-Su-25UB/70-RED/

http://www.airliners.net/photo/Peru---Air/Sukhoi-Su-25UB/1332011/L/&sid=582666fd5a06767569bb20b154adf4a3

After some more looking, I have found a bunch of photos of Russian Su-25UBs without the periscope, I don't know what the break down is. I stand corrected, some Russian -UBs do not have the periscope. Your second photo, however, would only stand to support the initial assertion, as it is an export Frogfoot.

Your second photo, however, would only stand to support the initial assertion, as it is an export Frogfoot.

The Peruvian Frogfeet are secondhand Belorussian examples, so were build as Su-25UB, and not Su-25UBK. But to make matters even more confusing, here's a picture of a Peruvian UB with periscope:

http://www.mycity-military.com/slika.php?slika=143473_75939050_SU-25%20FROGFOOT-RV%20PERU-2010-AFB%20LAS%20PALMAS-1.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Looks like the Trumpeter canopy curse strikes again with the rear canopy of the new 1/32 family Frogfoot. The top of the canopy should be solid since it has a folding periscope for the instructor in the rear. Unfortunately, they molded a large window in the top of the clear part. Strangely, they include a window-sized internal panel with a representation of the folded periscope thet they tell you to glue to the inside of the canopy. So it's a half wrong, half right job. Although you can just paint over the top window, you'll still have the outline, so to do it right you'll have to fill and sand the window smooth.

At first I was confused by what you wrote. But now that I have the kit in my hands, I finally understand. Yes it's very odd for sure. I guess they just didn't bother with fixing the error because it's not deemed to be "fatal". Other than that, I find the kit's details to be very very nice. The cockpit switches are finer than their other kits, and the seats are superb. Even with the kit cockpit, I think I can build this thing OOB plus the Zacto pylons.

Both of the kit's decal options look nice. First one is RED 29 with a big Russian flag on the fin. My favorite is the second one, RED 92 with a shark mouth and a smaller Russian flag on the fin. Can anyone comment on their accuracy please?

Thanks,

Terry

I think I can build this thing OOB plus the Zacto pylons.
I'm hoping to see APU-60-1 launch rails loaded with Aphid missiles hanging from those pylons! ;)

Looking forward to your build! :thumbsup:

:cheers:

Interesting discussion guys. Should a company make what some consider blatant errors? On the surface, probably not. The bottom line, however, is that the people who recognize these errors are the ones that are passionate about the subject. Unfortunately, it's a very small percentage of people who actually buy the kits. If I were to pick up the Su-25 kit, I wouldn't have a clue what was correct or incorrect. I would probably pick it up because I thought it looked cool. That goes for most of the Trumpeter subjects. However, when I look at some of their NavAir subjects, I immediately see things that aren't correct. I would imagine, though, that for most of you who are into the Russian subjects, that if no one told you what was wrong with say, the F-14 or A-7, you'd think it was a great kit. The passion of a certain subject plays a large part in how you perceive the kit.

Edited by Darren Roberts

Both of the kit's decal options look nice. First one is RED 29 with a big Russian flag on the fin. My favorite is the second one, RED 92 with a shark mouth and a smaller Russian flag on the fin. Can anyone comment on their accuracy please?

Thanks,

Terry

See for yourself, and check for the specific configuration of the option you're interested in (periscope, engine nacelle decoy dispensers etc) :

captur13.jpg

111.jpg

HTH

Sébastien

See for yourself, and check for the specific configuration of the option you're interested in (periscope, engine nacelle decoy dispensers etc) :

HTH

Sébastien

Thank you! Looks like the sharkmouth red 92 is more accurate. Where can I more pics of that jet? Thanks for your help.

Terry

Does a kit really have to be expensive for a modeler to expect accurate shapes?

Sprue Bros. - List $196.00 - Sale $146.99 (+S&H)

Mega Hobby - List $$195.95 - Sale $154.80 (+S&H)

Great Models - List $199.95 - Sale $159.95 (+S&H)

If they expect us to pay such high prices, they ought to be accurate.

Thank you! Looks like the sharkmouth red 92 is more accurate. Where can I more pics of that jet? Thanks for your help.

Terry

Sorry, these are the only ones I have of these two aircraft.

Sébastien

Terry, you gonna post this build anytime soon or are you waiting for Chris to do all

of those much needed canopy fixes for all the 2 hole Trump kits like I am?

I'm not aware of any correction sets for this kit in Chris' pipeline except the pylons which I already have. My next build will likely be a 1/32 F-15I. What's after that is TBD.

Cheers,

Terry