Welcome to the P-51 Mustang Group Build!

Good work on the extension! :woo:

I'm in with the Tamiya 1/48 RAF Mustang III. Among the schemes Tamiya presents, my favorite is PK-V FX985 from 315 Squadron, City of Dęblin (315 Dywizjon Myśliwski Dębliński) in NMF.

In 315 Squadron by Mutusiak, Gretzyngier, and Wiśniewski, the only two victories recorded in FX985's short career (Jun '44 to Aug 44) were by W/O Tadeusz Jankowski on Jul 30, 1944 (sadly, Jankowski was KIA during a Market Garden sortie on Sept 20, 1944 in PK-V FB367). According to 1943 USAAF Serial Numbers (43-5109 to 43-52437), FX985 was sold off charge Nov 28, 1946.

Here's my problem. 315 Squadron shows only camouflaged schemes for '44. Tamiya, Aero Masters Decals, and others show an NMF PK-V FX385, some noting it's from 1945, but that just isn't consistent with any of the information I've found. I did find a citation to Aggressive in Defence - The Aircraft of RAF Coltishall 1940 - 2006 by R.H.Vernon 2005 as a source. In any event, two other camo schemes, PK-G FB387 and PK-H FB353, are consistent, so I'll go with one of those unless I can find some primary evidence of an NMF PK-V FX985.

BTW, I notice only one national insignia has "Poland" beneath and it's for the scoreboard on PK-G FB387. All the Mustang III pictures from 315 Squadron always show "Poland" beneath the chessboard.

Count me in. Just finished the Jimmy Leeward Galloping Ghost 177, (Hasegawa 1/32) in flight around Reno home pylon. And now starting the same subject on the ramp with engine cowlings off and canopy open (Airfix 1/24). Also have a Tomy 1/32 with motorized prop that will be sitting parked and the subject will be the Bardahl Special Race#8 white with black and yellow lettering circ. 1964. I also hope to build an P-51A or B at some point as well. Obviously am a fan of anything that goes fast and turns left...

I'd like to join in here with a 1/32 Tamiya kit I'm building for a GB on another forum, hope that's OK. We got an extension over there too! I've got all the bits to convert it to a P-51K.

Although it's a bit of a "plane Jane", it's a historically notable aircraft. It will be finished in the markings of Sqn Ldr. Witold Lokuciewski, the last commander of the famous 303 Squadron. It carried his personal score under the windscreen, 8 kills and 3 probables, as well as the Polish chessboard on the nose and the 303 Squadron crest under the canopy. It was the only Mustang known to have carried kill markings in 303. It's important to me because my father was the engine fitter on this aircraft through most of that year.

I also commissioned a profile from Bertrand Brown at Bravo Bravo Aviation. He produced a stunning profile image of the aircraft I wanted from photos I provided. If you have ever wanted a profile print of your favourite aircraft, he is a very talented and knowledgable artist. He is very patient as well, quietly and accurately working to create exactly what you want. Just so it's clear too, I have no affiliation with him ... other than as a very happy client!

RichardPalimaka1b.jpg

My Dad in 1946:

DadNov46.jpg

Cheers,

Richard

• 1 month later...

Another joiner here.

I was part of the B17 GB that got extended. That resulted in a second GB build for me.

This time I've got a Hasegawa P-51D 'Jumpin Jacques' that will be my test bed for bare Metal Foiling using kitchen foil and/or some silvery foil I bought years ago. Once mastered I need to foil a B24.

No aftermarket, kit decals, minimal filler (fingers crossed)

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...