This is a general FAQ topic. Feel free to fire away with any questions or clarifications you need and the GB mods Cobrahistorian, Pastafarian or I will be glad to help.

Mine is a color question. I am stumped on the wheel well

color for my C model Tuskegee Airmen. From what I am seeing

on the web references I am guessing the wells were NMF with

either chromate yellow or chromate green vertical walls?

Also looks like the gear door interiors are also NMF. Also

would the main gear doors be open or closed when static? I

have seen them fully open, 1/4 open and fully closed. I know

it's "cousin" the F-86 had the doors closed when static.

Thanks---John

Not sure on the colors, but from other stuff that I've seen on that time period it depends on the specific plane since sometimes they painted an area and the next week didn't or they didn't at a different factory. - someone else probably knows better than I though.

Gear doors I can help on though. Any way that you want to do them is correct. Shortly after shut down the doors would be closed and as the pressure bleeds off the doors will gradually drop to completely open.

aaannnnnnddddd, that concludes my expertise on the mustang. LOL

John

I'm facing the same dilema with my upcoming D. I'm just going to go with the Tamiya call-out for the interior of the

wells and go for interior green.

I've found one issue already with the Tamiya callouts though....the oil tank behind the engine is called-out in

interior green. There are 2 pictures in the AeroDetail book one is yellow and one is interior green. The IG

one is on a 51 that they say was pain-stakingly restored. The problem is if you look at all the ones coming

off the line in the P51 Manufacturing book the oil tanks are all just NMF....now admittedly most of the

pics are for B airframes but I can't see them all of a sudden deciding to paint it IG when the D's came down the line

(and yellow then would be out of the question....as colorful as it looks)

I'm facing the same dilema with my upcoming D. I'm just going to go with the Tamiya call-out for the interior of the

wells and go for interior green.

I've found one issue already with the Tamiya callouts though....the oil tank behind the engine is called-out in

interior green. There are 2 pictures in the AeroDetail book one is yellow and one is interior green. The IG

one is on a 51 that they say was pain-stakingly restored. The problem is if you look at all the ones coming

off the line in the P51 Manufacturing book the oil tanks are all just NMF....now admittedly most of the

pics are for B airframes but I can't see them all of a sudden deciding to paint it IG when the D's came down the line

(and yellow then would be out of the question....as colorful as it looks)

They may have if they noticed that they were experiencing unusual wear on the NMF tanks. Or they could have switched suppliers for the tanks and the new supplier painted theirs before delivery.

Not to throw a wrench on your plans though.

:)

Edited by Bigasshammm

Also would the main gear doors be open or closed when static?

Thanks---John

IIRC the doors would hang open after a while on the Merlin-engined Mustangs and stay closed on the Allison-engined ones, as the hydraulics were different on the two types.

The same reasoning would apply to flaps, so no drooping flaps on either P-51As, Mustang Mk.Is or Apaches. At least this is what I've read.

Edited by Bonehammer73
  • 3 weeks later...

IIRC the doors would hang open after a while on the Merlin-engined Mustangs and stay closed on the Allison-engined ones, as the hydraulics were different on the two types.

The same reasoning would apply to flaps, so no drooping flaps on either P-51As, Mustang Mk.Is or Apaches. At least this is what I've read.

Is there a way to confirm this? I'll be building Accurate Miniatures P-51A kit and would like to avoid possible errors.

One more question... The wings and the detail lines on them. For a P-51A, should these also be filled and sanded smooth? Lots of info out there for Bs and Cs, but I haven't seen proper information about As. The cover lines also are different compared to Bs and Cs, so I also can't decide where I should fill and where not. Sadly, the topic over in Props forum seems to have been deleted...

• 2 weeks later...

hi I am interested in Will we make a lottery with our models from the stash, or we will choose the best model made, and the reward it?

we all certainly have a model in stash that we will never do, If you want every one of us can offer a model for the lottery.

I think that this GB can become an even more interesting and fun :D

• 5 months later...