Ford class CVN.....Why?

I've got a simpler answer: maybe (just maybe) the Iranians might have something to do with an crisis in Iran?! I know its shocking to consider, but it makes the most sense. You can blame the US, Iraq, the USSR, UK, ect until you are blue in the face and you'll never get an accurate picture of the crisis. Really all of them played a secondary role in what happened. Instead its much more effective to understand that this is largely as a result of the Shah's policies and changes in Iran's societies.

That would totally ruin the "US is to blame for everything" spiel put forward by some others. Ultimately, the crisis in Iran came to a boiling point due to several reasons, including the Shah's declining health, his mismanagement of the initial civil unrest and his incredibly foolhardy decision decision to allow Khomeini to return from exile in France.

The class of ships is always named after the first one of that class

I realize that. That was part of my point. My original post questioned naming one ship after him, much less the lead ship and thus the entire class.

Ford-Logo-Large.jpg

Several problems with Henry Ford. First, the sub-chasers he built for the Navy were garbage. Second, he got a little crazy later in life, and turned virulently anti-Semitic. Thirdly, he would oppose our current super-tech defense philosophy, prizing rugged simplicity and mass production in engineering. Think Mig-21, rather than F-35 or V-22.

Now the USS Packard or Pierce-Arrow; there's an idea! But they're out of business.

I must say though I don't think our British allies would be too offended if we named a ship after one of your defeats? I think you were, in the long run quite happy to be rid of us

Unlikely to bother us in the slightest, after all we can have great fun pissing-off the French by naming a railway station Waterloo.

Edgar

Unlikely to bother us in the slightest, after all we can have great fun pissing-off the French by naming a railway station Waterloo.

Edgar

You name railway stations after British military victories? Who did you beat at Paddington?

Honestly, I admit, the joke was weak. Especially so because I only know the name of one British Railway station, due, of course, to Paddington Bear. Who if I recall correctly, hailed from Peru.

If the country's position improved considerably under a certain politician's watch then naming something after them is a way to honor them.

That's why the future Chinese supercarriers will be named the Clinton Class of carriers. And I'm sure whoever attacks Israel next will do it with something that has the word Obama in it...like they launched 15 Obamas into Tel Aviv and killed 100 civilians or something like that.

Since we have now gone way off the original topic, try this on for size:

Israel launched a dozen Reagans into Gaza, killing 300 civilians.

Just sayin'....

Since we have now gone way off the original topic, try this on for size:

Israel launched a dozen Reagans into Gaza, killing 300 civilians.

Just sayin'....

POW! Classic anti-thread troll-mine just went off. Didn't even see his tripwire, huh? You've been quite successfully trolled by Mr. fly-n-hi. Now we call in the medivac unit to collect the casualties...

Listen, if something so obviously politically contentious comes from someone with a low post count-say, under 100 or so--wait for the EOD guys. Don't even go near it. Even if it isn't an attempt to be a troll, it isn't worth responding to something so frivolous anyway.

...........and guess who shows up, huh?

Tsk tsk, and it going so well too.

All good things come to an end, and surprise surprise, it's by somebody being obnoxious. Almost like they deliberately did it, eh?

Alvis P.

ARC Moderation Team EOD Response Team Leader and Putty Knife Wielder

*scrape scrape scrape scrape....*