Bangs head... (repeatedly)

So as some of you may know I'm basically a house husband raising my two girls (3 and 1) and work part time at UPS waiting to go full time and actually make real money. So I am going to start another job this week siding a house which will hopefully lead to many more siding jobs in the future. I'm excited to get out of the house and have some extra money which I'll mostly blow on models I'm sure.

So of course what should happen but our car's transmission take a dump over the weekend. So once again back to no money.

Somewhere at sometime in history my karma must have been awful.

Just venting.

K

Oh I believe it.

Not as bad as yours, but here's an example:

A couple years ago, I drove to Richmond for a model show, and I followed my buddy down there and back, because we both had car fulls of kits to sell. We're doing 75-80 the whole way down, never saw one cop. Well, I sold a bunch of stuff, and bought a few things as well, but basically I was coming back with around $130 in my pocket after fuel, lunch, etc. We were coming back and had stopped for dinner, and afterwords I took off first. I get about a mile down the road and get pulled over. $125.00 speeding ticket. The only thing it really hurt was my hobby budget for the month, but still...

You would be amazed at how many times we've come into extra money somehow and IMMEDIATELY something breaks on one of the cars. Un-freaking-believable.

AS you said, you came into extra $ and then something breaks. You gotta look at the good side, as much as it sucks having to spend for things like this, how much worse would it be if you didn't have that extra money to cover some/all of those costs.

To quote Monty Python's Life of Brian" - "Always look on the bright side of life" (sung while hanging on a crucifix).

Hang in there, things will turn.

So as some of you may know I'm basically a house husband raising my two girls (3 and 1) and work part time at UPS waiting to go full time and actually make real money. So

So of course what should happen but our car's transmission take a dump over the weekend. So once again back to no money.

Somewhere at sometime in history my karma must have been awful.

Just venting.

K

Nah.....you had good Karma in a past life which is why you are lucky enough to be home during the day raising your 2 girls. I went the exact same route as you. I worked part time evenings at a job I hated so I could stay home and raise my kids. My wife took care of the kids in the evening while I was at work. We never had enough money and I always had to piece together older cars......something was always breaking that required money.

My girls are 13 and 15 now....both are excellent students and my wife and I have a great relationship with both of them. You are laying the ground work for 2 very healthy and well adjusted kids. When my oldest was in grade 3.....her 60 year old female teacher told me something that stuck with me. "All too often marriages break down......daughters get less time with their Dad's and once that daughter begins dating, she developes an unhealthy attraction to older men. Then she spends way too many years sorting out all her issues, instead of moving forward in life."

I did the UPS gig for a while. I loaded a truck to Knoxville at the Nashville hub. That place could double as a weight loss camp! I ate like crazy when I worked there and wasn't able to gain a pound. :)

What do you do over there? I still occasionally have dreams of loading a truck and I haven't worked there for over 10 years. LOL

I'm pretty much a househusband too (I teach online), and agree with the rest of the folks. The kiddos do benefit from us. I really like being able to juggle my schedule a bit so that I can always drop my son off and pick him up from school and go on all the field trips with him.

John

Keep your head up! No matter how much money you make you will spend it all anyways! BTW, I did siding for 12 years. It may actually be a blessing in disguise that you're not able to go do it right now. It's 101 in the shade here and probably feels like about 115 to 125 in direct sun. Keep going, that's all anyone can do.

I did the UPS gig for a while. I loaded a truck to Knoxville at the Nashville hub. That place could double as a weight loss camp! I ate like crazy when I worked there and wasn't able to gain a pound. :)

What do you do over there? I still occasionally have dreams of loading a truck and I haven't worked there for over 10 years. LOL

I'm pretty much a househusband too (I teach online), and agree with the rest of the folks. The kiddos do benefit from us. I really like being able to juggle my schedule a bit so that I can always drop my son off and pick him up from school and go on all the field trips with him.

John

I used to load the trucks in the mornings for 5 years and then when my 3 year old was born I switched to the night shift and essentially load trailers now. I've also driven part time for over 5 years on Saturdays and have done the occasional seasonal full time gig during the summer and Christmas time. I enjoy the driving but the inside job is annoying anymore. There are no hours to be had and it just puts a strain on everyone in the household. That said I've basically put myself on a work as needed basis and the only real day I work is Saturdays now because that's where I make all my money anyway.

I am forever grateful that I have this time with my kiddos but it is wearing on me pretty hard. I'm not one that has ever liked to be sitting around and there is a damn lot of that during these days. It's the reason I picked back up modeling last year because I needed something to do.

I'm also not a desk job person and would much rather prefer working with my hands hence the siding and other construction stuff. I've done everything in the last 15 years or so from build a house from the foundation up to gutting an existing house and redoing it. My wife has always wanted me to do this on my own but I don't have near the amount of tools and the startup money just isn't there.

Thanks for all the kind words sorry to vent this morning.

I think we may have the car sorted out and it's probably more my fault than anything. I'm not very mechanical. SO here's to hoping more money is on the horizon and thus more kits!

K

Well while I can sort of handle it several weeks ago my wife said that I should get that $700 saw I have been wanting, A week later the A/C in the shop died so in 99-100F heat no work in the shop or model building. Then we went on vacation for two weeks and while away my son tells me that the house A/C died. $1000 later and that is because the unit was under warranty! I don't even want to know what it would cost without a warranty. All this while we are spending like water on vacation. It will cut into the retirement savings a little. and with luck I'll replace it in the next year before I retire, but WOW all at one time.

Mark

K. If you get that siding job...just be careful dude, goin' up and down those ladders. You don't wanna end up in a situation where you screw up your back big time. Mine hasn't healed. Chronic arthritis...so I've had to turn to photography in a big way to make ends meet. Take care of yourself and make sure you watch your back. That's gonna be what keeps ya in the job market.

Karma is a *****, so I slapped her and said get back in the kitchen. :bandhead2: lok jk. That was my situation last year, lest the slapping. My computer fried...TWICE. Washing machine broke, house repairs, birthdays to close together. Got it hurt so I learnt to budget better this year.