"rescuing a huey" build

I'm wanting this to be a beat up old huey being picked up by a restoration shop. The huey is the monogram 1/24 uh-1. The truck is made from 2 escalade pickups. I'm removing all of the escalade emblems and making it an extended Chevy Avalanche (same body style, I'm guessing with the escalade package you get nicer interior). I cut the 2 escalades in half and stuck the halves together to get the 6 door pickup.

Haven't started the trailer yet. It's just going to be a basic flat bed with straps and hooks for ratcheting the huey down.

The plan is to junk up the interior of the huey to make it look like maintenance crews have thrown old parts in there.

2011-07-11_11-35-30_298.jpg

2011-07-11_11-34-11_679.jpg

2011-07-11_11-34-40_7.jpg

Looks like a pretty good idea and build so far. A note on the Escalade to become an Avalanche. I convereted a die-cast 1/34 Escalade ESV (Suburban) into a Chevy Suburban a while ago. In addition to removing the badging, you also need to change the front grill to te Chevy-style. It is easy to do with a bit of A&B epoxy putty. You can see how I did it below.

IMG_0634.jpg

You also need to round off the rear tail light covers. The Escalade has square, chunky ones, where an Avalanche has ones that conform to the rounded body shape.

Here is how mine came out.

IMG_0635.jpg

IMG_0637.jpg

IMG_0638.jpg

Keep up the good work and keep us posted.

Edited by HeavyArty

Very cool Geno. Was that one in an IED diorama? I have some thin strip stock that I can use for the front grill. I've seen a few Avalanche's with the tail lights from the kit, so I'll be lazy and leave those. :)

Here is the truck so far. I chipped up the paint some and added one of those high flier cb antennae. I'm going to dirty it up some more (basically road dust down the sides - would misting a light brown with an airbrush work best for this?). Also, I'm going to add some "stowage" to the truck - cooler, couple bags, probably a tool box and a few other things. Interior of the truck needs some soda cans, bags of chips and an atlas.

2011-07-14_12-01-31_459.jpg

Very cool Geno. Was that one in an IED diorama?

It is in an IED dio. I used it along with the Trumpeter PMC VIP Protective Detail figures.

IMG_0700.jpg

IMG_0695.jpg

IMG_0691.jpg

More here.

Your truck looks great. Good job on the mating of the two halves, it is invivible. This one should come out really nicely once you add all the extras.

That looks great Gino. I haven't really thought of using the die cast cars. Might give that a run since there isn't much plastic civilian stuff in 1/35.

I lucked up since the doors are pretty much vertical so I was able to cut along the door frames. I want to do this again, so I might make some sort of jig next time. I tried using one of those yellow plastic miter boxes from Lowes, but the truck body kept flexing when I tried to cut it. I want to stretch an 80s Caddie next. There's a local BBQ guy that runs around in one of those. It looks pretty funny with all of his catering logos on it.

John

Got the huey together. Like the truck, I need to scratch some stuff to throw inside to make it look like a hulk. At first I was going to do alot more work on the front office, but since the doors are molded shut you really can't make out too many details up there, even at this scale.

I'm not sure why, but my front windshield fogged up. I dipped all of the windows in future and super glued them in. The sides were fine. I'd like to clear it up, but with all the weathering I want to do the window might fit in anyway.

2011-07-19_13-03-28_509.jpg

2011-07-19_13-03-12_581.jpg

Also, I didn't build the engine inside the huey. I wanted to leave it out, wire it up a little, and stick it on the trailer as a spare. Is there some sort of cradle that a mechanic would mount a spare engine in, or should I just be a hick and throw some blocks of wood under it?

John

• 2 months later...

Finally some updates. :P

I need to add some straps to hold the huey down onto the trailer, truck and trailer need plates (and lights), also I need to wire and add chains between the truck bumper and trailer.

Let me know if you see anything else that should be added or touched up. Took these with my phone so they're a little blurry.

2011-09-01_09-57-55_562.jpg

2011-09-01_09-58-05_89.jpg

2011-09-01_09-58-48_454.jpg

2011-09-01_09-58-13_361.jpg