any idea of what this is?

Saw this across the street from the Dallas Children's Museum last weekend. It was on a pole over a former gas station (some sort of tree service place now).

It is a open double cockpit (the front pit is behind the lamp post in the top pic). Not sure if the red "spinner" originally housed a prop, it looks like gun ports to me.

took these in traffic, sorry they aren't better.

John

2011-07-03_17-19-08_569.jpg

2011-07-03_17-18-54_62.jpg

The aft fuselage and tailcone look like that of a Piper Aztec (at least to me!). The Aztec is a 5/6 seat general aviation twin-engine design and has a distinctive "kink" in the upper fuselage under the vertical stabilizer. It looks like the center wing/engine section was removed and the outer wing panels attached directly to the fuselage. Well, that's my guess!

Looks like the remains of some wood/fiberglass homebuilt. Maybe one that was never finished, and was turned into....whatever the heck it is now.

The color alone is hideous..my first vehicle was a 1965 pickup the same color!

SN

Yeah, either cobbled together from parts or some sort of homebuilt. Given the size of the engines on the tail, I can't imagine it getting off the ground. Being on top of that pole is probably the most altitude it's ever had! LOL

Wonder if I have enough stuff in the styrene AMARC to build this. :)

John

Edited by pastafarian

That is a WWII two seat Japanese Iamcraze-4Sur Kamikaze flying bomb. :)

They were in development but the prototype crashed and blew up before the program was ready to begin production.

(Sorry, I had to...) :D

The Piper Aztec theory might hold some water. It looks to me like someone got hold of an Aztec fuselage, chopped off the cabin roof and cut the fin down (with the rudder gone), did some basic sheet metal work to cover part of the cabin to give the appearance of dual open cockpits and added a "thing" to the front end to represent a spinner. Then they grafted some old wings from something else (some small 2-place single maybe?) and a slab of plywood for a stab on the back end and stuck the lot on a pole as an advertising gimmick.