I am quitting modeling FOREVER!!!! I was working on a Hasegawa 1/48 F-15C. Everyone who has built this kit is aware of the horrible fit of the nose to the fuselage, add the blackbox cockpit and you can imagine the hassle. Anyway, Pep and I worked on it this weekend and got a decent attachment regardless. It was hard work let me tell you. SO today I decided to pick it up again and work on it. Low and behold I dropped it. Guess what broke? The nose we worked so hard on. Not only did the nose break the resin inside cracked and peices went flying. That kit is done. Another kit shelved for spare parts. So taking a break from it I decided to start a 1/48 F/A-18C kit from Hobby Boss. What a piece of garbage. The fit is horrible. It may look like a Hasegawa F/A-18C in the box but it doesn't build into one. The A-10 was a lot better, so I thought there wouldn't be any problem. WRONG! I build to relax, but when faced with these issues how can one relax! It is so aggravating! Why can't a $50+ kit fit correctly? For that kind of money it should fall together. MODEL MAKERS, STOP CHARGING HIGH PRICES FOR CRAP! MAKE A GOOD PRODUCT FOR ONCE AND ONE I DO NOT HAVE TO BUY $100 WORTH OF AFTERMARKET PARTS TO FIX ALL YOUR MISTAKES!THAT MEANS YOU HOBBY BOSS, KINETIC, TRUMPETER, AND HASEGAWA. Why can't everyone be like Tamiya? So anyway, rant and self pity is over. I am getting off my soap box and returning to the workbench to fix my F-15C and continue with the F/A-18.

and I hear this loud BOOM from South Florida.....

Doesnt sound like the shuttle and in no way is it suppose to landing that early....

LO AND BEHOLD, it is a Gonz exploding into a massive ball of fury caused by the devil they call modeling dropoff!

Cheer up my friend and go with another kit. Or call me to come down there and get them...LOL!!!

-Jim

Grab a cheap , easy to build kit and just slap it together. No aftermarket, no fancy adders. Forget about what other folks might think of it. Just build it, paint it and put it on the shelf. Repeat as needed, hopefully it helps you relax and feel a sense of completion.

Works for me, heck I build most of my kits that way. :D

Vacuformed kits are basically a scratch build. The mindset of lots of work is in place from the get go. If you're building a kit you expect a certain amount of 'it just works'.

That said, I'm not sure what else you should have been expecting when you stuff in a bunch of ill-fitting resin parts the kit manufacture didn't account for and then drop the whole thing on the floor. Yes.. it's going to break.

Build a tank or car kit to purge yourself of the badness. Get your wits back and try those bad birds again.

That is some sound advice right there.

I notice when my frustration with modeling is proportional to the time It has been since I last got to do a paint scheme. rattle bomb or airbrush it doesn't matter. To me its the best part of a build, You can only paint so many cockpits, and sand and fill and scribe for so long before it feels like you are going to go crazy, with no relief or reminder of what puts that big grin on your face.

So I find something I can paint. Even a little matchbox car can be fun. Think about your favorite phase of building then assess what van get you to that phase fastest and have a little fun

Sounds like there going to be a good sale in the traders board !!

Just kidding there are some great advice here to get you back in the saddle

For me Group builds always get my motivation UP

Edited by Neo

There there gonz its all good....

wait..... you droped the F-15....... we spent all night working on that thing! you whent home at 3AM!

thats it I quit to!!

ok im calming down.....

Lets just build some kinetic vipers and calm the nerves.

/wrists

There there gonz its all good....

wait..... you droped the F-15....... we spent all night working on that thing! you whent home at 3AM!

thats it I quit to!!

ok im calming down.....

Lets just build some kinetic vipers and calm the nerves.

/wrists

Yes a Kinetic viper should do the trick!!!! NOT

I actually went back to the F-15. It's really not that bad. Last night it looked horrible today it's okay I can fix. However, it won't make into a show now. I got really frustrated because the guys in my club are really great buildersand have won many awards. I have yet to place anything. Every build starts off in my mind that it is going to be the one that is going to win. Now that F-15 will not be it. I have very tough competition from my own club let alone anyone else. I want to build to their standards, and I am not getting there. Thank you everyone for all the advice. I will pick up an easy kit and start from there.

I actually went back to the F-15. It's really not that bad. Last night it looked horrible today it's okay I can fix. However, it won't make into a show now. I got really frustrated because the guys in my club are really great buildersand have won many awards. I have yet to place anything. Every build starts off in my mind that it is going to be the one that is going to win. Now that F-15 will not be it. I have very tough competition from my own club let alone anyone else. I want to build to their standards, and I am not getting there. Thank you everyone for all the advice. I will pick up an easy kit and start from there.

So, you are saying that you want to win something, and sinceso far you are unsuccessful is what is driving this angst? Might I suggest that, rather than trying to build a somewhat complicated (yes, an F-15 fits thar description, as does just about anything from about 1955 on) you instead find a nice,small, well-fiting kit and build it OOB while paying VERY strict attention to the basic buikding techniques. Something like a Tamiya Spitfire or P-47 or P-51B (I say B as you're better off staying away from metal finishes for this endeavor) or a Hasegawa Hurricane, Spitfire, Zero or similar. Concentrate on getting a goo, clean build with all the seams properly cleaned up, no glue marks or fingerprints in the finish, no smears or smudges on the glass, and everything in perfect alignment. master the basics and see how things turn out; THEN worry about more complicated builds or aftermarket stuff.

if your aim is truly just to win "something". Otherwise, build what you want, how you want. Think about who you're tryindg to please and what you really are trying to accomplish.

So, you are saying that you want to win something, and sinceso far you are unsuccessful is what is driving this angst? Might I suggest that, rather than trying to build a somewhat complicated (yes, an F-15 fits thar description, as does just about anything from about 1955 on) you instead find a nice,small, well-fiting kit and build it OOB while paying VERY strict attention to the basic buikding techniques. Something like a Tamiya Spitfire or P-47 or P-51B (I say B as you're better off staying away from metal finishes for this endeavor) or a Hasegawa Hurricane, Spitfire, Zero or similar. Concentrate on getting a goo, clean build with all the seams properly cleaned up, no glue marks or fingerprints in the finish, no smears or smudges on the glass, and everything in perfect alignment. master the basics and see how things turn out; THEN worry about more complicated builds or aftermarket stuff.

if your aim is truly just to win "something". Otherwise, build what you want, how you want. Think about who you're tryindg to please and what you really are trying to accomplish.

That is very good advice that you have given me and I will follow it. I have a tamiya P-51B in my stach that I should build. I am not trying to build something just to win, I want to be a peer in the club. To do that I have to win. I am putting to much angst as you say into this. But, you should see the models that these guys pump out. It is in my nature to try and be really good at something. I am very competative. However, I know this could ruin the hobby for me. I have to ease back and let go.

Competitiveness removes the fun factor from nearly everything. No offense, but why not just build a model to please yourself?

I live in a part of the world where no one I know builds models. Because the only people who view my models are my family, perfection is the smile on their face, not perfect alignments or camouflage demarkation lines. Somehow that makes everything more fun and rewarding, and I improved over the years, slowly. Sure it takes longer this way, but at least I last longer in this hobby, and haven't had any real rages before.

Just my 2 sen.

:cheers:

Lim