Boeing F4B-4. USS Saratoga Felix Cat

Great to see this, Sir! That is a favorite kit of mine. I have some decent reference material on the type; if you need it, let me know.

I will check up on the scheme illustrated, but it is almost certainly correct.

In this period the U.S. Navy used cowling markings to indicate individual identity within a squadron. There were six sections of three planes each in a squadron; each section had a color (red for the first section, white for the second, blue for the third, and on into 'I forget till I look it up territory); the section leader's cowling was painted entirely in the section color, the section's no. 2 had the top half of the cowling in the section color, the section's no. 3 had the bottom half of the cowling in the section color.

Each carrier had a color, and this was painted on the tail: I believe U.S.S. Saratoga was white. Other colors assigned to particular carriers included red, lemon yellow and willow green.

The numbers on the fuselage side indicate squadron identity, the first number being the squadron number, the letter being its function, the final number being its position in the squadron (cowling markings can be reliably inferred from this number, and vice versa). The machine illustrated on the box top is that of the commander of VF-6 (Fighter Squadron 6). Navy squadrons changed numerical identity very frequently; at one time their number identifier changed to match that of the carrier they were stationed on; tracing squadron identities through the inter-war period is a whole subject in itself.

I am drawing a blank on chevrons, Sir, but will look through a couple of references and see what I can find.

Checked in my copy of the Monogram Navy and Marine book, Sir. The black band is wrong; it should be red. the regulation is when fuselage bands are used to indicate a section leader, they should be in the section color. The chevron on the upper wing should be in the section color.

The various section colors, just for your interest, are:

1st, Insignia Red

2nd, Insignia White

3rd, Insignia Blue (or Light Blue)

4th, Black

5th, Willow Green

6th, Lemon Yellow

The yellow of the upper wing is sufficient orange in shade that lemon yellow does stand out as a different color. Pin-stripe outlines were usual, though, in black (or white for black striping and chevrons).

Thanks for your help Old Man.

In the Classic Forum post, a gentleman from Starfighter Decals (great stuff indeed), replied the same conclusion as you confirming my suspects. The box art in AM is wrong.

Looking in various Internet sources, I found the decal sheet of AM kit and the chevron color is black, so the cowling should be painted in black instead red.

For further my research I found these interesting graphics from AM site (sadly their web is offline, so the choice of save it in the past shows how useful is save this kind of information):

imagen1qe.jpg

imagen2y.jpg

imagen3mt.jpg

As USS Saratoga based plane, the rear is White, and to gain more color in the scheme the cowling and ID band will be in Red 1st Section Leader like this preserved example:

53342212.jpg

Bye for now!

Right Patrick, but first I must do the next step before the building.

Having choosen my subject I draw my own custom decals. I have the old Monogram ones, but I dont trust in their condition.

I can manage the yellowish tone exposing them a couple of days to the sunny summer days here in Madrid but Im not sure about the possibility of shatter them or simply dont stick and conform.

And as I will build a Felix Cat plane and the superb Starfighters Decals sheet dont include it, I must make it myself.

So, here is the artwork, Felix Cat, serials, US Navy markings and those thin lines for the ID bands and chevron:

imagen1ifz.jpg

And as previous act before the build, this is one of my favourite planes in my display cabinet, and she is waiting for her Navy sister:

96514586.jpg

I built it for the Matchbox Madness GB during 2008. You can see the progress and final pictures here:

http://s362974870.onlinehome.us/forums/air/index.php?showtopic=146408

http://s362974870.onlinehome.us/forums/air/index.php?showtopic=147546&st=0&p=1428968entry1428968

Bye for now!

Edited by El pibe vitina

If you don't want to make your own decals, the Yellow wings sheet has Felix markings on it. Sheet number is 72-011.

-Dave

Should be easier with the decals already made. I'm saying that because I have never tried producing my own decals.

Patrick

• 4 weeks later...

Nice P-12! What did you use for the rigging?

Thanks... I did the rigging with Lycra thread glued with Cyanocrilate. I used white thread to represent this kind of structural rigging, more thick than used in WWI AC, antenas or control wires. In these cases I prefer other Lycra thread more thin and black. You can get it easily from panty hoses or thights that our loved women dont use.

Back to the progress in this current model, I was working on preparing the surfaces for this build. I rescribed some raised panel lines and drill a lot of little holes, some to represent rivets, exhaust and real holes, and others to fix the rigging threads.

The two MG were poorly represented as parts engraved the upper piece of fuselage, so I erase them to will replace with separated pieces.

52919326.jpg

To make more progress in painting, I painted the engine plate and cowling in Humbrol Red.

I did some scratchbuild to give a decent cockpit, with seat, harness, control stick, instrument panel, etc. I also did some "make up" in the cockpit sidewalls.

According with Dana Bell work, I painted the interior zone with Humbrol Aircraft Gray.

41830758.jpg

With the cockpit painted and instrument decal applied (nice to see how Monogram decals performs well, despite their age) I closed the fuselage parts and glued the lower wing.

The fit is not bad but as usually the wing and fuselage joints need some attention and putty sessions.

You can notice that this old kit was a mix of parts from two different models. Upper fuselage part and lower wings were made with a more flat and lighter plastic. I bought this kit from a sencond hand seller.

66443818.jpg

49858170.jpg

Despite I didnt take pictures yet, the engine was painted with Humbrol silver and give a coat of Future to protect it for oil washes to accentuate the engine parts.

Hope I will came with more progress soon.

Bye for now!

Edited by El pibe vitina

If you don't want to make your own decals, the Yellow wings sheet has Felix markings on it. Sheet number is 72-011.

Thanks Dave for this information, nice decal sheet, but I will try first with my custom decals.

Should be easier with the decals already made. I'm saying that because I have never tried producing my own decals.

Of course its more easy with aftermarket or kits decals, but now the artwork is done, and I previously used my custom decals in several models without problems.

Bye for now!

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for your kind words lads!

Well... I did several progress during this weekend.

All main pieces are painted, with Humbrol enamels, yellow in the upper wing, black for the tires, and red for the ID band and chevron.

The silver in the lower wings and bottom of the upper wing was a mix of Tamiya grey and "Lara" a Spanish brand silver lacquer. Fuselage, wing panels, wheels and struts were painted using a mix of Tamiya Light Grey and White, and this last colour was used to paint tail and horizontal stabilizer.

The engine' cilinders were painted with Lara Silver and after a coat of Future, I give it several washes with oils. Finally the engine was assembly centered in the cowling ring, and all received another coat of Future.

49097490.jpg

During these paint sessions I take the opportunity to paint the colours in the propeller' tips: The Red and Yellow used in the wing and fuselage also were applied in this piece, and a coat of Humbrol Glossy Insignia Blue, was also used to serve as a primer for Alclad Chrome... and it works very fine!

I love the Vallejo acrylics to paint small details using a thin brush. The black headrest, tailwheel and the engine exhausts were touched with a paintbrush job. I did a test on fuselage, wheels, propeller and engine... they fit properly like a glove.

But the upper wing needs some corrections. The distance from lower wing is not the same in the port side compared with the starboard. I will fix it filling the left side holes where the struts will be glued trying to match the height of the upper wing.

30355965.jpg

At this stage, all model pieces were varnished with another coat of Future, and are ready to receive the decals, another Future coat and then acrylic and oil washes. I also need to scratch build and paint the arrestor hook, and replace the kit windshield with other home made using clear acetate card.

Thanks for looking and bye for now...

Thanks for your kind words lads!

Well... I did several progress during this weekend.

All main pieces are painted, with Humbrol enamels, yellow in the upper wing, black for the tires, and red for the ID band and chevron.

The silver in the lower wings and bottom of the upper wing was a mix of Tamiya grey and "Lara" a Spanish brand silver lacquer. Fuselage, wing panels, wheels and struts were painted using a mix of Tamiya Light Grey and White, and this last colour was used to paint tail and horizontal stabilizer.

The engine' cilinders were painted with Lara Silver and after a coat of Future, I give it several washes with oils. Finally the engine was assembly centered in the cowling ring, and all received another coat of Future.

49097490.jpg

During these paint sessions I take the opportunity to paint the colours in the propeller' tips: The Red and Yellow used in the wing and fuselage also were applied in this piece, and a coat of Humbrol Glossy Insignia Blue, was also used to serve as a primer for Alclad Chrome... and it works very fine!

I love the Vallejo acrylics to paint small details using a thin brush. The black headrest, tailwheel and the engine exhausts were touched with a paintbrush job. I did a test on fuselage, wheels, propeller and engine... they fit properly like a glove.

But the upper wing needs some corrections. The distance from lower wing is not the same in the port side compared with the starboard. I will fix it filling the left side holes where the struts will be glued trying to match the height of the upper wing.

30355965.jpg

At this stage, all model pieces were varnished with another coat of Future, and are ready to receive the decals, another Future coat and then acrylic and oil washes. I also need to scratch build and paint the arrestor hook, and replace the kit windshield with other home made using clear acetate card.

Thanks for looking and bye for now...

Great to see this shaping up so nicely, Sir! Most impressive.

I wish I could offer something solid on the wing, but I have done a couple of these, and the upper wing fit was a little odd, but in different ways, on each. I am sure you will make it work, and without any evidence of the effort showing, either!

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks a lot for you guys about you kind words!

Im really enjoying this build.

At now, I applied decals and Im waiting for my shipment of gloss Winsor & Newton varnish (I realised that I have only matt varnish).

Sorry but not photos yet!

Meanwhile during this wait, I will spend a pair of weeks for vacations in the sunny beachs of Mallorca.

See all you in back!

Bye for now...

• 3 months later...

Hi all!

Sorry about the delay, since I went back from my vacations I did some progress but I didnt take pictures.

So, this little model is now finished. I take several pictures which I will post in completed entries thread as soon as possible.

The decals went nicely: the old Monogram ones, national insignia from Special Hobby various kits, and those printed by me.

The vertical band and chevron were completed with a very thin pieces of black decal. This task was very tricky, frustrating and boring.

Once the decals dried and sets OK, I glued the wings, wheels, and add a scratchbuilt arrestor hook. I also replaced the thick windscreen by one made with acetate sheet.

After a coat of Future to seal decals, I give a wash to emphasize the panels and some details with a mix of Vallejo grey and liquid dish soap.

I give a pair of coats of varnish with a mix of satin and gloss W&N Galleria acrylic. Then I glued the engine/cowling/propeller combo to the fuselage.

To finish the model I did the rigging using Lycra elastic thread.

Hope to post more pictures soon!

IMG_0941.jpg

Bye for now...