Messerschmitt BF-109 G-10 - 1/72 Revell 04160

It is a nice kit, but can use some improvements, particularly the canopy. I am sure that Mikester will pop in on this one. He has built several and the end results are just outstanding! I know that he has pics posted on his website, I just can not find the link at the moment.

Edited by Big Kohona

The Revell 1/72 G-10 got the wing thickness and dihedral correct as well as the basic fuselage shape. Previously Bf 109G kits from Hasegawa and Academy messed up the wing which in turn threw the lower fuselage shape off as well. Thats the good news. The canopy is poor and the prop/spinner are worse. The main landing gear leg attachment is off a smudge, but not worth worrying about. I built one when it was new and only replaced the canopy and prop/spinner.

The kit is definitely buildable and even straight out of the box will look more like a 109 than say a Mustang :)

You dont mention whether you sepecifically want a G-10, or just want to build a Messerschmitt. But if you want a G-10, you have a couple of options 1) Live with the Revell kit 2) replace the canopy and prop/spinner 3) Get a Finemold Bf 109G-10 which is superb straight out of the box (albeit pricy). There is a 'correction' set from Loon Models, but it replaces the wing to give you dropped flaps and slats, and doesnt address the prop/spinner and canopy.

If you just want a Messerschmitt, either the Tamiya 1/72 Bf 109E or the ICM version (basically a copy of the Tamiya kit but with the rear fuselage length fixed (Tamiya's kit is about .75mm too short in the rear fuselage) are buildable and accurate (well except for that 3/4 of a mm) out of the boc. Alternatively any F/G/K version from Finemolds will also be perfectly acceptable.

I believe Quickboost makes a replacement resim prop for the Revell G-10, and you can get a vac canopy from squadron. Since the Revell kit can often be found for less than 10 bucks, you can get the extras and still spend less than the cost of the Fine Molds kits (the FMs are pretty sweet though..I've got three of the Fs.)

SN

The Revell 1/72 G-10 got the wing thickness and dihedral correct as well as the basic fuselage shape. Previously Bf 109G kits from Hasegawa and Academy messed up the wing which in turn threw the lower fuselage shape off as well. Thats the good news. The canopy is poor and the prop/spinner are worse. The main landing gear leg attachment is off a smudge, but not worth worrying about. I built one when it was new and only replaced the canopy and prop/spinner.

The kit is definitely buildable and even straight out of the box will look more like a 109 than say a Mustang :)

You dont mention whether you sepecifically want a G-10, or just want to build a Messerschmitt. But if you want a G-10, you have a couple of options 1) Live with the Revell kit 2) replace the canopy and prop/spinner 3) Get a Finemold Bf 109G-10 which is superb straight out of the box (albeit pricy). There is a 'correction' set from Loon Models, but it replaces the wing to give you dropped flaps and slats, and doesnt address the prop/spinner and canopy.

If you just want a Messerschmitt, either the Tamiya 1/72 Bf 109E or the ICM version (basically a copy of the Tamiya kit but with the rear fuselage length fixed (Tamiya's kit is about .75mm too short in the rear fuselage) are buildable and accurate (well except for that 3/4 of a mm) out of the boc. Alternatively any F/G/K version from Finemolds will also be perfectly acceptable.

I agree with Chuck here, although the Revell G-10 has some nice features but it just doesn't cut the proverbial mustard. The spinner, propeller blades and canopy are all awful. The Loon Models correction set does help but by the time you purchase that you're paying what you would for a Finemolds kit. So if you want a decent G-10 in 1/72 my advice would to pay the extra money for the Finemolds, it's the really the only serious option.

Edited by The Mikester

Hi guys. Thanks for all replies.

Well let me see somtehing:

1 - i agree 100% with you Chuck and Mikester. This revell's kit have some problem with spinner and propoller. But i didn't know the canopi problem.

2 - get some finemold is the solution but here where i am this is very difficult. The revell is a great solution! I'm not a purist;

3 - as steve N write: quickboost have a set of resin to build a correct spinner and props. The canopi i'll try with some friend or buy a Academy 109G.

What do you think now? Am i right?!?

Marcelo

Sounds as though you are on the right track. However, if you go aftermarket (Quickboost) for the prop and spinner, consider SteveN's suggestion about a vac canopy too. While the Academy and Hasegawa canopies are better shaped than Revell's they are too narrow. On the other hand if you already have a spare canopy and it fits ...

So the Acedemy canopi or even hasegawa's one are too narrow??? It's a bad news...

Once time ago, i was building a Me262, revell. The canopi is terrible, so a friend of mine give to me a new canopi from hasegawa and fits ok....If doesn't works i'll buy a squandro one.

Thanks a lot, MArcelo

PS: Mikester do you have any photos of your 109G? Sites?

The Academy and Hasegawa Bf 109G canopies are probably ok at the base where they attach to the fuselage, but they tilt inward too much on the sides making them too narrow in width across the top. The error isnt much, and if you weren't looking for it, I am not sure it is very noticable. Not sure if that matters to you though, especially if you already have a spare you can try on the Revell kit.

PS: Mikester do you have any photos of your 109G? Sites?

Unfortunately, no, I pretty much do 1/32 only these days. My previous website host went out of business and when I re-did my site I didn't include any of my 1/72 stuff.

Its a good kit but has some flash, and is sort of inaccurate. Also, some parts that are optional on other models are molded on (like the drop tank rack). Revells kit has a very low price, in contrary to the engineering miracle Finemolds kits.

~Dakfreak

Edited by DAKfreak

Well, so far so good...

We have the top 109: Finemolds, and the simple mortals: Academy and Revell.

Well Academy's 109 build the versions: G-5 and G-6. Revell's ones build (G-14, G-14AS, G-10, G-6AS).

So what do i need to correct these models? Aftermarket accessories!

Thanks Marcelo

Well, so far so good...

We have the top 109: Finemolds, and the simple mortals: Academy and Revell.

Well Academy's 109 build the versions: G-5 and G-6. Revell's ones build (G-14, G-14AS, G-10, G-6AS).

So what do i need to correct these models? Aftermarket accessories!

Thanks Marcelo

The G-14 was an evolution of the G-6, so the Revell G-10 is not a good starting point. You can do the AS series 109's from it though with some minor mods though.

For the G-6 and G-14 you also have Hasegawa. Neither Academy or Hasegawa are perfect but I would go with the Academy because it's cheaper and I think a little more accurate than Hasegawa. There is some aftermarket, but none that really pull either kit into Finemolds territory.

Hi guys. Thanks for all replies.

Well let me see somtehing:

1 - i agree 100% with you Chuck and Mikester. This revell's kit have some problem with spinner and propoller. But i didn't know the canopi problem.

2 - get some finemold is the solution but here where i am this is very difficult. The revell is a great solution! I'm not a purist;

3 - as steve N write: quickboost have a set of resin to build a correct spinner and props. The canopi i'll try with some friend or buy a Academy 109G.

What do you think now? Am i right?!?

Marcelo

Rob Taurus makes a vac form canopy specifially for the Revell 1/72 Me.109G-10 kit. I've bought severl from Owl in the Czech Republic. Very reasonably priced and no farting around trying to make the canopy fit.

Its a good kit but has some flash, and is sort of inaccurate. Also, some parts that are optional on other models are molded on (like the drop tank rack). Revells kit has a very low price, in contrary to the engineering miracle Finemolds kits.

~Dakfreak

None of my Revell (aka Monogram Pro Modeler) Me.109G-10 kits have had any flash. I also really would not label the kit as "sort of inaccurate". IMHO, it is a fairly good representation of the 109, a few problem areas, but the word "inaccurate" really does not come to mind. That label is reserved fully for the monstrocity that Airfix brought out and has tried to pass off as a 109G. Even then, "inaccurate" does not do it justice. That's one of those kits that should be buried deep in the bowls of the Earth and completely forgotten about!

No, I think that Marcelo is on the right track here with his Revell 109G-10 kit. It can be built up on it's own to look quite good, but with a little help from Aires and Quickboost, he'll have a really winner when he is done. I'd also suggest he add either the True Details 109F/G/K cockpit set or perhaps even the Aires cockpit (as one's budget allows).

Loon Models makes a very nice replacement wing set, which addresses the undercarriage issue, but as I believe it has already been pointed out, you are getting into, if not beyond, the price range of the Fine Molds kits now.

Post some pics Marcelo when you finish your 109.

Edited by Big Kohona